Tyre recommendation 996 GT3

Rick V

Hi all,

I know tyre choice/recommendations have probably been done to death on every car forum ever....... and it is very much personal taste thing....... but needing a new set of hoops for the GT3 and looking for some advice.

Not going to track it, but certainly use it for spirited driving, predominantly through the Adelaide Hills........ pretty much a dry weather princess. 

Was pretty well set on Michelin Sport 4S, but tyre shop has just thrown in a curve ball of also suggesting I consider Pirelli P Zero Rosso Assymetric.

I had Pirellis on my 3.2 Carrera in a past life, and loved them, but that was 20+ years ago.

Open to any enlightenment from the masses......

1 minute ago, Rick V said:

Hi all,

I know tyre choice/recommendations have probably been done to death on every car forum ever....... and it is very much personal taste thing....... but needing a new set of hoops for the GT3 and looking for some advice.

Not going to track it, but certainly use it for spirited driving, predominantly through the Adelaide Hills........ pretty much a dry weather princess. 

Was pretty well set on Michelin Sport 4S, but tyre shop has just thrown in a curve ball of also suggesting I consider Pirelli P Zero Rosso Assymetric.

I had Pirellis on my 3.2 Carrera in a past life, and loved them, but that was 20+ years ago.

Open to any enlightenment from the masses......

When I wear out my Direzza Z3s on my 996.1 GT3 my next tyres will be PS4S as road tyres.  Only Pirelli I've ever had that I've been happy with are Scorpions on my Touareg.  P-Zeros I've had on my GT3 originally, 981 Boxster and 996.2 C2 were crap and I got rid of them as soon as I could......

31 minutes ago, Rick V said:

I'd be assuming this recommendation is based on the availability of the Pirelli as opposed to the Michelin. Generally, I'd say Michelin make a better tyre but they have become quite hard to get in 18's to suit the 996 GT3. 

My alternative recommendation would be these; https://www.yokohama.com.au/our-range/tyres/ADVAN Neova AD08R?type=ADVAN Tyres&tyrecategory=ADVAN Tyres&code=&label=

I run these on my 'road' set of rims and would highly recommend for an all weather road tyre capable of spirited weekend hooning..............not that I do that at all. For the price, I'd say the performance is hard to beat. 

The Dunlop Direzza Z3s I've been running are the Dunlop equivalent to the AD08Rs as far as I can work out.  Similar pricing, I just got a better deal on the Dunlops, which you need to get from a Dunlop motorsport dealer,  (the Tassie dealer is an ex-client of mine).  Pretty sure the Yokos need to be sourced from a more limited range of dealers too, I think the Tyres & More franchise guys are one of the ones who have them available.

11 hours ago, hugh said:

No such thing as overkill with tyres. Cup 2 or 4S if you can get them would be the tyre of choice IMO. 

Fully agree with this. Cup 2 is still a very civilized road tyre and if you don’t drive in the rain they’re the ones to go for IMO. 

1 hour ago, spiller said:

Fully agree with this. Cup 2 is still a very civilized road tyre and if you don’t drive in the rain they’re the ones to go for IMO. 

They’re very good for NVH, and I drove a few hours in rain on the Cup 2’s last Sunday, if you don’t try any funny business they’re perfectly fine in the wet. 

10 hours ago, edgy said:

They’re very good for NVH, and I drove a few hours in rain on the Cup 2’s last Sunday, if you don’t try any funny business they’re perfectly fine in the wet. 

This is it. We don’t see the near freezing temps here either like in NA and Europe so they’re basically a year rounder. 

I've had both tyres on my 997 GT3, Pirelli Assymetrico and Michellin Cup 2's.

Pirelli's are noisy and do stick in all conditions, dry and very wet ( i was in Tassie during the middle of a storm ) but Michellin Cup 2's are just that little bit better and I've driven in the same conditions on both sets of tyres.

Michellin Cup 2 all the way, you wont look back and if you do decide to do the odd track day, they will do what you want them to do.

That's my 2 bobs worth.

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd revisit this thread and post my feedback and questions here, although case use is different to the OP, there is already some good information and dialogue for the platform (996 GT3), so figured I'll keep it rolling. 

I fitted a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's late last year for the 2022 sprint season, the original intent was to have my car in a drive there, drive home format, i.e. no swapping out for R-Comps at the track (which I have traditionally done). 

Thus far I have done 5 track days on them, 1 of those very wet, so I dont think it counts for the comments that are coming... On average, I'd run 4 sessions a day, max 8 min sessions, however I'll caveat this by noting within the 4, I have done 2 private events with longer session times** 

This past weekend, I noted the grip had faded, even once I could get the pressures dialled (30psi hot) and temp into them, they just felt off, like the lateral grip was no longer there, particularly in the front end... talking amongst my comrades between sessions, the general number that came back was 4~ track days before they fall off their peak, I would say they've done 20-25 + heat cycles now, the wear is pretty even (good alignment) and this seems to be consistent with other Cup 2 users on Rennlist. 

They've got a little amount of tread left, oddly more in the rear than the front (new for me on a 911) so I'll see them out on the road, but they've done their last track day, since I have 18" wheels, I have the choice of R-comps, so rather than refresh them, I will have A050's for the rest of the year now as I should have done in the first place! 

I'll be interested to dive through the data, and see lateral acc compared to the week prior... but in lap time alone I was way off! 

If you want a good road tyre that is excellent for the odd (read 1-2) track day a year, with the rest street driving, I can say these are the tyre you go for and $$ value would be okay, I know the guys with GT4's & 991+ GT3's don't really have a choice, so replace them as need be and I can see that would be costly... A050's grip till the belts hang out. :lol: 

Anyone else have similar (or different) experience? 

My dilemma is 4s v Cup 2 as well.

1 or 2 track days a year but mostly cruises. 

I tell you what, tyre options are slim in the 295/30/18, 235/40/18 space. 

4S's are $631 a tyre and not available in 235/40/18's.

So trying to find a matching set is quite an expensive and low option task. 

Was hoping for 4s's all round but stuck with 4s rear, 4 or 2 front. 

Can't even find Cup 2's at the moment.

P.S I've got PZero's on my 400kw Falcon Sprint and grip falls off a cliff at 40% wear. They're not up to the task before half worn.

I run the Cup 2s for the reasons you do on my 996.  They are good on the track and when they go off they (in my experience) drop off is isn't off a cliff and you get plenty of heat cycles.  They also work in the wet (roads/freeway etc in downpour) 

The A050s will be faster, stiffer sidewall inspires confidence and they warm up well.  I cant talk to heat cycles as I haven't gone through the set I have (medium) - increased road noise is a negative for me.  If you stick them on a set of track dedicated wheels and leave the Cup 2s (or something else) on the road setup maybe not so much of an issue as they are then track only. 

Still think you guys should investigate the Dunlop Direzza Z3s.  A hybrid track / road tyre that I have been really impressed with, although I probably can't / don't drive at your level.

Only available through Dunlop Motorsport dealers as I understand.....

2 hours ago, NAC911 said:

My dilemma is 4s v Cup 2 as well.

1 or 2 track days a year but mostly cruises. 

I’d probably go Cup 2 if there isn’t much $$ difference and you will go to the track.  

1 hour ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

I run the Cup 2s for the reasons you do on my 996.  They are good on the track and when they go off they (in my experience) drop off is isn't off a cliff and you get plenty of heat cycles.  They also work in the wet (roads/freeway etc in downpour) 

The A050s will be faster, stiffer sidewall inspires confidence and they warm up well.  I cant talk to heat cycles as I haven't gone through the set I have (medium) - increased road noise is a negative for me.  If you stick them on a set of track dedicated wheels and leave the Cup 2s (or something else) on the road setup maybe not so much of an issue as they are then track only. 

Yup, summed up nicely… in a perfect World Cup 2’s for the road setup, and perhaps the odd private day… then a spare set of wheels with A050’s for track! This is what I did previously and was the best solution, have your cake and eat it type of deal! 😎

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Still think you guys should investigate the Dunlop Direzza Z3s.  A hybrid track / road tyre that I have been really impressed with, although I probably can't / don't drive at your level.

Only available through Dunlop Motorsport dealers as I understand.....

I’ve used the Dunlop Race Maxx in the past they were quite good… but at the end of the day, a street tyre or hybrid will never stand up to an R! 

1 hour ago, Shedpest said:

Cup 2's for the road on 19" rims and Nangkang AR1's for the track on 18" rims seems to be the go.

Yup! 👍 

4 hours ago, edgy said:

I'll be interested to dive through the data, and see lateral acc compared to the week prior...

Well, to answer my own question… I responded in another thread on the data:

Having just looked at my data logs from Sunday and the week prior, nothing in it on the straights, those min/max speeds are good… I was down speed and lateral acc on every turn by comparison to the week prior! Best sectors week prior were 1:46.2 vs 1:50.1 a huge gap! 

Advan A050’s are really the best when it comes to track use. Only other tyre worth considering if you are really trying to squeeze every extra 100th is the Hoosier A7/R7. Forget the rest on track, especially on a car worth as much as a GT3. 

I’ve used all of the road tyres suggested above and run Advan AD08R’s, the performance & compound for the $$$ is great. Michelin are great but availability tends to be pretty limited. 

Having just had to tyre shop in 996 GT3 sizes - availability right now is the limiting factor.

I've been happy with Dunlop Direzza Z3 and Yoko AD08R in the past, but none available in these sizes, nor the A052. 

Ended up trying Bridgestone RE71RS last week based on reviews and comparisons with the above. Worth a look. Just did Winton on them in the dry and drove home in torrential rain. And survived both!

@edgy were yours the newer Cup 2 connect or the older version? I have just had a set of the connect fitted and an aggressive alignment dialed in to give them a run at The Bend in a couple of weeks. Not expecting amazing but hopefully a good fit for a couple of track days per year and the rest road use. If they last a couple of years for all of that I’ll be quite pleased. Couldn’t justify faffing around with the track wheels and a set of A050 for only two days per year, but the performance in a couple of weeks will be the judge of whether or not selling them (again 🥴) was a good decision. If I was going to go that route again I would do some Pirelli DH slicks.