992 GT3 market watch

32 minutes ago, tomk86 said:

44 GT3’s on carsales now…21 of those are 992’s

Not too surprising - I'd wager they sold a shed load of these, and a lot of them were to people thinking they'd make a quick buck out of it.

Unless Porsche snap and say no more ICE tomorrow, I can’t see any future other than used supply of these being wayyyy higher than demand in the years to come …

4 minutes ago, JWM said:

Unless Porsche snap and say no more ICE tomorrow, I can’t see any future other than used supply of these being wayyyy higher than demand in the years to come …

Really depends on how high fuel prices go. Don't know how many electric cars you've driven but the excitement is sorely lacking imo, at least for road use anyway.

I can see a future where peak ice cars (which I'd argue is prior to the 992) get dearer and dearer over time.

27 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Really depends on how high fuel prices go. Don't know how many electric cars you've driven but the excitement is sorely lacking imo, at least for road use anyway.

I can see a future where peak ice cars (which I'd argue is prior to the 992) get dearer and dearer over time.

Yeah agree, EV boring as a weekend car, perfect as a daily. Might change one day but I dunno, not in ways where I wouldn’t always want an ICE in the garage as well I suspect.

Interesting question as to whether peak ICE 911 is behind or in front of us!

5 hours ago, sleazius said:

Not too surprising - I'd wager they sold a shed load of these, and a lot of them were to people thinking they'd make a quick buck out of it.

Or the FOMO/ covid thing before interest rates went up, and now they're in financial shit and have to bail themselves out.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Spets87 said:

Does Porsche care when new cars are resold like this?

Generally blacklisted if you flip... He's probably too old to care about missing out on a car in 4 years time! 😁

49 minutes ago, C_S_Lewis said:

We should all start calling and messaging, offering 600k firm for a laugh! 😁

I must say I’m loving watching all the flipper cars sitting. Hopefully most are under finance too.

Just now, LeeM said:

If I won the $150m, I'd definitely be calling them 

Quick way to lose it paying overs like that. Plus by all accounts they are dogshit on the road.

If you want to burn up $600k I can think of better ways to do it …. that low km 993 turbo comes to mind 🤑

55 minutes ago, LeeM said:

If I won the $150m, I'd definitely be calling them 

I couldn't do it on principle...

If I'd won the $150m I'd buy a place in Germany, buy a sh!tload of cars including the RS there and satellite from racetrack to racetrack throughout Europe. May as well go where you can enjoy them daily as opposed to monthly 😉

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Quick way to lose it paying overs like that. Plus by all accounts they are dogshit on the road.

If you want to burn up $600k I can think of better ways to do it …. that low km 993 turbo comes to mind 🤑

Meh...life is for living mate...I'd lowball him at $1m and still have $149m left 😁

I'd have it as a track hack I drive to and from the track, and put aside a few million to waste on other shit I don't need...like buying Winton race track and build a house there...with a heli pad 😁

Not a fan of the 993Turbo. If it was a 993 GT2 I'd be interested 👍

17 hours ago, sleazius said:

I must say I’m loving watching all the flipper cars sitting. Hopefully most are under finance too.

Re: flippers, speculators, finance, corrections, etc ... this got discussed on the latest Curmudgeon Show (this link goes to the spot they started on this topic). As well as issuing a "fuck you" to the flippers, they talked about how it has been happening in the US now (especially with GT Porsche cars) and, interestingly, that it happened before ...

Apparently there was a huge run up in 1989, where people were buying and flipping stuff that would go for 3X the price (example was Testarossa's that were $100k msrp selling for $300k) and how it came crashing back to earth in 1990 and some people who got seriously burnt ... I didn't know this (I was only 8 😅) so it was quite interesting to hear.

Did that happen here as well around that time, or was it just a US thing?

Good show in general btw. I always liked Camissa's videos / reviews and this podcast with Derek is usually pretty interesting. A couple weeks ago they were talking about where "peak 911" was and that it might be 997 ...

5 hours ago, JWM said:

Re: flippers, speculators, finance, corrections, etc ... this got discussed on the latest Curmudgeon Show (this link goes to the spot they started on this topic). As well as issuing a "fuck you" to the flippers, they talked about how it has been happening in the US now (especially with GT Porsche cars) and, interestingly, that it happened before ...

Apparently there was a huge run up in 1989, where people were buying and flipping stuff that would go for 3X the price (example was Testarossa's that were $100k msrp selling for $300k) and how it came crashing back to earth in 1990 and some people who got seriously burnt ... I didn't know this (I was only 8 😅) so it was quite interesting to hear.

Did that happen here as well around that time, or was it just a US thing?

Good show in general btw. I always liked Camissa's videos / reviews and this podcast with Derek is usually pretty interesting. A couple weeks ago they were talking about where "peak 911" was and that it might be 997 ...

Bring on a crash! Long overdue for a correction in the market 😁

Yep, I'd agree with the suggestion that 997 was probably the peak of the modern era of 911. 

10 minutes ago, 911rox said:

Bring on a crash! Long overdue for a correction in the market 😁

Yep, I'd agree with the suggestion that 997 was probably the peak of the modern era of 911. 

997 was the last series done when Porsche was a 100% independent company. Every version since and probably forever on has been a Volkswagen conglomerate marketing/hype car.

Even the new Macan EV being launched tonight will run off the same platform as an Audi and prob Volkswagen.

Will people care about the 997 being the final generation that was 100% Porsche, I wonder?

47 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

997 was the last series done when Porsche was a 100% independent company. Every version since and probably forever on has been a Volkswagen conglomerate marketing/hype car.

Even the new Macan EV being launched tonight will run off the same platform as an Audi and prob Volkswagen.

Will people care about the 997 being the final generation that was 100% Porsche, I wonder?

Only those generations who experienced Porsche pre VW and the 997... I don't expect subsequent generations to care too much.