Topgun : Maverick

Well sorry to say I was not a fan of the movie.  Loved the flying scenes but I must have been so excited to see it that it did not meet my expectations.  Too corny in parts and very very predictable.  My rating out of 5 is 3.5. and it almost was a 3.  But that is just me.  I do understand that others here loved it.  My daughter who has not seen Top Gun was not expecting much but said she loved it.

Agreed @Lucky Phil but if anyone goes in expecting something other than great aerial footage they will be disappointed. You are right about some cheesy segments but I suspect that was deliberate in a nod to the previous film.

Also, SPOILER ALERT, I have since found out who Penny is/was. While watching the film I was trying to figure out what connects her to Maverick.

In the first movie in the first half Mavericks CO was tearing him a new one and he mentioned high speed passes at control towers and one Admirals daughter and Goose mentions Penny Benjamin, the Admiral's daughter.

So there you go in case you wondered who she is.

2 hours ago, 3legs said:

Also, SPOILER ALERT, I have since found out who Penny is/was. While watching the film I was trying to figure out what connects her to Maverick.

In the first movie in the first half Mavericks CO was tearing him a new one and he mentioned high speed passes at control towers and one Admirals daughter and Goose mentions Penny Benjamin, the Admiral's daughter.

Awesome, we couldn't work it out.

On 31/05/2022 at 10:06, 3legs said:

Agreed @Lucky Phil but if anyone goes in expecting something other than great aerial footage they will be disappointed. You are right about some cheesy segments but I suspect that was deliberate in a nod to the previous film.

Yep.  I had to explain this to my wife when we left the theatre.  Another one of the cheesy moments where I thought "too far fetched that she was there".  Way too many of these "you have to be kidding me" moments that were just too predictable or too unbelievably convenient.  ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT  Football on the beach vs volleyball on the beach another one.  Grilling from the Admiral almost to the same script.  I can go on but you get the drill.  I think the first movie was better scripted apart from the flying scenes.  Screenplay of Maverick co written by Tom Cruise says it all.

I find for all blockbuster films it is best to not read reviews and watch all the trailers before going to see them. That way you enjoy all the scenes without already having your own analysis of them and it is just 2 hours of escapism from the real world.  Goes especially for Star Wars and Marvel films. 

8 hours ago, HWY said:

I find for all blockbuster films it is best to not read reviews and watch all the trailers before going to see them. That way you enjoy all the scenes without already having your own analysis of them and it is just 2 hours of escapism from the real world.  Goes especially for Star Wars and Marvel films. 

This is shrewd, going in with low expectations means that a movies highpoints can soar for you and you don't go in with unrealistic expectations for something that will sacrifice plot of characterisation for action and amazing visuals.

I found it highly enjoyable and came out having thoroughly enjoyed the previous two hours or so.  Admittedly I didn't come out thinking about the plot or anything even remotely profound just amazing flying scenes and a profound realisation that I was old hahaha.

Movies such as this are just an escape from reality for most of us, and that's the whole point of a fiction movie isn't it? To take you somewhere else, and forget about everything for 2 or 3 hours.

Not singling anyone out here, yet sadly people's expectations of practically everything in life these days is much higher, and if a certain event or movie doesn't live up to 'their' lofty expectations, then they come away disappointed.

Re this movie, I really don't care about the plot or whatever, I just love jets and the F18 is my favourite (I spend hours watching videos of them on YouTube), so I look forward to seeing it

3 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

I watched Top Gun for probably about the 20th time last night and I still had a feeling of adrenaline during the dogfight scenes.

I cannot wait to see Top Gun Maverick tonight!

Went again last night while Mrs went to a play.  Every bit as good the 2nd time around 🙂 Who cares about the cheesy bits.....

Wow what a brilliant movie, i’ll be seeing that again that’s for sure. The only question it raises is what’s more beautiful the 911, the P-51 or Jennifer Connelly? 😍

Edited by Yeatesy

31 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

Wow what a brilliant movie, i’ll be seeing that again that’s for sure. The only question it raises is what’s more beautiful the 911, the P-51 or Michelle Connelly? 😍

Or Jennifer Connelly 😉

Now that's what I've been waiting for. Hollywood and most film making in general has been mostly dross and mediocre, (Marvel anyone) bar the odd surprise here and there.

Top Gun,  Maverick shows a great movie experience can still be had. Old mate Tom Cruise, top effort. (Jen Connelly and 73 911, Gorgeous both).