Topgun : Maverick

I just got back from the theatre just now. Great movie. Stunning aerial footage and to think most of the footage is real.

You really need to see it on the big screen especially with the sound cranked up.

Only downside, there wasn't enough footage of the 911.

Top Gun: 10 Hilarious Memes Only True Fans Understand

3 hours ago, Joz said:

So looking forward to this, gives lots of nods to the original from what I’ve been told.

Yep.  We just rewatched that tonight (should have done it the other way round of course 🙂 ).  Clearly cinematography has come ahead in leaps and bounds, the flying sequences in Maverick are so much better...  However, Kelly McGillis is way better than I remember her, she really was an absolute stunner 😛😛😛

3 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

This is well worth a watch to get into the mood 

I wonder if LG-W is the same P51 as in Maverick??

3 hours ago, 3legs said:

You guys will love it. No more spoilers.

I feel the need, the need to see Top Gun 2 (again ).

Agreed, might give it another week and do it all again.  About the only other movie I've watched several times on release was Battle of Britain, so now I'm showing my age 🙂  Recurring theme though, why did I end up playing with cars rather than planes???

8 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Agreed, might give it another week and do it all again.  About the only other movie I've watched several times on release was Battle of Britain, so now I'm showing my age 🙂  Recurring theme though, why did I end up playing with cars rather than planes???

Battle of Britain is brilliant 

Interesting. The P51 in the movie is Tom Cruises ( and yes he did fly it in the movie ). The plane is registered as LG-W however unless he owns 2 P51's it should be registered as N51EW.

Not sure if you can change rego numbers in the States but then what would I know. I'm just jealous.

Battle of Britain is brilliant 

I just looked up the release date of that - 1969 so I was 10 or so at the time.  Must have been something that really struck me, but I was one of those nerdy kids that built Airfix kits through my teens, read War Comics etc.  Haven't done any kits for a long time (apart from R/C stuff) , but I have a stack to go now, mostly Porsches, but the SR-71 Blackbird is one of those planes that has fascinated me too. The problem is going to be where to put them all when they're built......

20220527_101426.jpg

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I just looked up the release date of that - 1969 so I was 10 or so at the time.  Must have been something that really struck me, but I was one of those nerdy kids that built Airfix kits through my teens, read War Comics etc.  Haven't done any kits for a long time (apart from R/C stuff) , but I have a stack to go now, mostly Porsches, but the SR-71 Blackbird is one of those planes that has fascinated me too. The problem is going to be where to put them all when they're built......

20220527_101426.jpg

I wasn’t born for another 5 years but have watched that movie at least 10 times. My dad was an aircraft quality control engineer and still works on them now so I’ve had a love of planes for as long as I can remember and the Spitfire & P51 are my favorites. 

I’ve had a love of planes for as long as I can remember and the Spitfire & P51 are my favorites. 

I hear you both, The Spitfire and the Kittyhawk took over my life as a kid build em, fly em,smash em, Plus a bedroom full of models, then form 1 happened got me arse kicked and told  to study, Was going to get back to the Spitfire and be a pilot, But then those weird looking mates you had(girls) started to look bloody good and that was the end of it :)

My son has an sr71 model - he was fascinated when we saw the real thing in the Boeing museum, so got him the kit.  The Tamiya kit has the start cart (v12 motor) and the extra drone (also in the museum).  

you’ve all convinced me to go to the cinema to see it.  To say I was influenced by the first film would be a vast understatement - he says sitting in his 501s and t-shirt, aviators are at the ready.  I also recommend the loosely related book by the commander who set up the top gun school.

Honestly I doubt there will ever be a movie that captures a generation like it ever again.  The timing, message and characters were all perfect.

4 hours ago, Coastr said:

My son has an sr71 model - he was fascinated when we saw the real thing in the Boeing museum, so got him the kit.  The Tamiya kit has the start cart (v12 motor) and the extra drone (also in the museum).  

It’s incredible that it leaked fuel when on the ground and then the titanium alloy would seal when at altitude but this meant it needed to be refueled after take off to be able to complete it’s mission. 

On 26/05/2022 at 11:35, 81SC said:

Tickets booked for Saturday night, looking forward to this one. Got the girls to watch the original the other night on Netflix.

Wow, that was a good movie. Those flying sequences are awesome, they were definitely well filmed.

For me, it is one of those movies that you want to watch a second time on the big screen at the cinema. 👍👍👍