FS: 996 C4S Manual Coupe

On 01/03/2023 at 10:46, Fishcop said:

Hi All - well I'm at around 3 months with nearly no inquiries... I dunno whether I'm priced way too high or whether the market is just flat (maybe both).  

I'm teetering on the edge of pulling my car off the market, but I pretty much haven't driven it since September last year which is a bit of a tragedy but also confirms to me that moving it on is probably the right thing. And I have to get some garage space back.

Before I go-jack the car into a corner of the garage, I'm going to drop the price one last time, here first before CS

This is the best available manual 996 C4S on the market full stop.  If someone is keen - I'll go down to $115k no negotiating.  If I can't get $115k for it, Baby gets put in the corner :(

I've had one offer well below asking but we couldn't quite meet - I did find myself prepared to take less than the $115 I'm asking when I was negotiating.  So I'm accepting that even $115 is ambitious in the current climate.  I'll probably pull it from CS this week, if there is anyone on the fence or actually keen on the car and not frightened off by the doom and gloom - feel free to contact me.  Cheers!

23 hours ago, hugh said:

HN = Harvey Norman Proprietor. Makes complete sense. 

True - i was being pretty vague....

21 hours ago, JWM said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f9590122362a0d30fe6f9de8908f77ee.jpeg

I’m just relieved these guys are ok. 

And in fine form still.... OUCH

19 hours ago, jakroo said:

Each store is broken down in to a number of franchises - elec, computers, furniture, bedding etc.  Some stores are large enough to break down further (electrical goes down to small goods and whitegoods or similar). but most aren't big enough so they combine them to make it financially worthwhile hence the term 'multi franchise'. Because they can have more than one franchise within the store, they call them proprietors rather than franchisee.

I don't think you can be an owner of multiple franchises across stores though.  In Australia, the franchise is granted for zero franchise fee but you buy the stock on entry and sell it again to the incoming franchisee when you depart.  The granting and removal from a franchise is done by HQ and it happens from time to time that a good performing franchisee is sent to a lesser store so they can bring it up to it's potential.

The  HN franchisor organisation is incredibly flat in structure (about 4 levels between worker bee and Chairman) but it's very much who knows who in order to get things done across most of the operations.  It's still very much a family run publicly listed company.

A highly successful but also frustrating company at times....and of course there's it's chairman who can be a loose cannon 🙂

Pretty much how HN works ^^^^. Cant have more than one HN at a time. 

Close but no cigar in this case. Old heads with lots of different retail experience some had been multi (as in have run 3 or 4 different stores) and fingers in lots of pies. 

The numbers quoted to me were frightening how fast sales stopped - but in hindsight - it went up like crazy during the "Vid" too so will probably end up ok. A few more RBA hikes wont help, and they're coming......

24 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I've had one offer well below asking but we couldn't quite meet - I did find myself prepared to take less than the $115 I'm asking when I was negotiating.  So I'm accepting that even $115 is ambitious in the current climate.  I'll probably pull it from CS this week, if there is anyone on the fence or actually keen on the car and not frightened off by the doom and gloom - feel free to contact me.  Cheers!

Sorry to derail this thread - GLWS - its a cracker of a car!!!

4 hours ago, on_booost said:

Pretty much how HN works ^^^^. Cant have more than one HN at a time. 

Close but no cigar in this case. Old heads with lots of different retail experience some had been multi (as in have run 3 or 4 different stores) and fingers in lots of pies. 

The numbers quoted to me were frightening how fast sales stopped - but in hindsight - it went up like crazy during the "Vid" too so will probably end up ok. A few more RBA hikes wont help, and they're coming......

having run 3 or 4 is different to running 3 or 4 at the same time.  Maybe it could happen for a few people but if they do, I reckon  it'd be rare.  If they are long termers and highly successful, they are usually located in a lucrative and rewarding franchise and then the pressure is on to keep it that way.   Too much for them to do with that many given how complicated the business model is, staffing and the company structures underneath it. 

In the end, it's nearly always doom and gloom thoughts for HN props when the interest rates are climbing.  It's only a matter of time before we start to see the 60 months interest free adverts start up on TV (replacing the gambling ones for volume!)

Anyway back to FishPolice's car....I wish I had the coin John!

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 9er said:

Well done, so often the case with curated cars, just surprised it took a little while.

Cheers Chris.  Living regionally it's logistically a lot harder for some to visit and to sort PPIs etc...  Buyer knows these cars well and knew what he was looking at, so it was a quick and painless sale in the end.

On 02/03/2023 at 17:36, ArthurK said:

Aspirational buyers will be dwindling rapidly in this market, just like any other market. Unless someone is in a good position, all toys will be put on hold. To top it off, the Covid pricing stupidity is coming off rapidly too. Its not only on the Porsche market its across the board, especially in the high end. You couldnt find a 488 in the 400s not too long ago and F8's were in the 8-900s now they are edging into the 700s and they have a long way to go yet. 

Unless its something special and limited it will take a pasting. Without knowing how much you paid for it, and you havent driven it in 6 months its time to move it on. Its only going to cost you more as time goes by. Don't look at how much you are losing from the peak look at it reasonably as to how much enjoyment you initially got and then the depreciation you would have copped if it werent for Covid. What I am trying to say is you if you didnt buy during Covid then you never paid the stupid price to begin with. Your opportunity to sell at a high vanished when interest rates started to go up. They will never be 0.1% again, well not this decade at least, unless something really drastic happens. Rates will sit at or around 4-6% retail ie normal, not 2%.

You have articulated and summarised the predicament for us pre-covid buyers very well!!  

I’ve had my 997.1 for 3 years and and am ready to move onto my next 911. (997.2 PDK or 991 PDK)

The issue I have is even If I may be willing to let my go at a break even price,  there’s fat chance I’ll find a realistic seller who’ll do the same!

For example a 997.2 PDK for around 90k or a 991 for 115k is what I saw them advertised for pre covid.)

Similar to John I barely drive my but as long as the minister of finance allows a garage queen,  I’ll just need to keep find more excuses to drive them!!

Oh and congrats on the sale John, immaculate 4S in that colour and those hips!