FS: 996 C4S Manual Coupe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All - well I'm at around 3 months with nearly no inquiries... I dunno whether I'm priced way too high or whether the market is just flat (maybe both).  

I'm teetering on the edge of pulling my car off the market, but I pretty much haven't driven it since September last year which is a bit of a tragedy but also confirms to me that moving it on is probably the right thing. And I have to get some garage space back.

Before I go-jack the car into a corner of the garage, I'm going to drop the price one last time, here first before CS

This is the best available manual 996 C4S on the market full stop.  If someone is keen - I'll go down to $115k no negotiating.  If I can't get $115k for it, Baby gets put in the corner :(

1 hour ago, Fishcop said:

Hi All - well I'm at around 3 months with nearly no inquiries... I dunno whether I'm priced way too high or whether the market is just flat (maybe both).  

I'm teetering on the edge of pulling my car off the market, but I pretty much haven't driven it since September last year which is a bit of a tragedy but also confirms to me that moving it on is probably the right thing. And I have to get some garage space back.

Before I go-jack the car into a corner of the garage, I'm going to drop the price one last time, here first before CS

This is the best available manual 996 C4S on the market full stop.  If someone is keen - I'll go down to $115k no negotiating.  If I can't get $115k for it, Baby gets put in the corner :(

I think it's just flat John, just received notification of a further price drop on a '99 C4 manual, to $75k, although I'd much rather have yours at $115.....

I've been mulling over changing my '13 Touareg and the 996 for a Cayenne, now thinking the 996 would be hard to move in current conditions.....

6 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I think it's just flat John, just received notification of a further price drop on a '99 C4 manual, to $75k, although I'd much rather have yours at $115.....

I've been mulling over changing my '13 Touareg and the 996 for a Cayenne, now thinking the 996 would be hard to move in current conditions.....

996 market appears to be falling like a sledgehammer. I more follow the GT3's. 

That being said I'm trying to sell my 2 year old i30. Dealer has offered me $32k. I've dropped the price to well below the cheapest on carsales at $34k and have also had 0 enquiries. 

So I would say it's all cars, not just yours. I'd honestly try hold it for 12 months if I were you. In this market, unless you're looking to fire sell it. Most likely will sit. 

53 minutes ago, 911 said:

996 market appears to be falling like a sledgehammer. I more follow the GT3's. 

That being said I'm trying to sell my 2 year old i30. Dealer has offered me $32k. I've dropped the price to well below the cheapest on carsales at $34k and have also had 0 enquiries. 

So I would say it's all cars, not just yours. I'd honestly try hold it for 12 months if I were you. In this market, unless you're looking to fire sell it. Most likely will sit. 

I can’t see the logic in holding for 12 months, as surely prices will be less….plus holding costs. 

47 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

I can’t see the logic in holding for 12 months, as surely prices will be less….plus holding costs. 

Contingent on which way you think rates will go. You are right though. 

Rego, insurance, servicing and opportunity cost of $100k. Not far off $10k. 

Higher rates = less equity in property, which for majority means no money for a Porsche

8 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I've been watching that one Pete.

Very clean car the last time I saw it last year. If I was in the market I'd be calling him...and offer $10k less and wait for the expletives 😁

In these times with rate rises and all the other bullshit, it's a buyers market, so you have to act accordingly. Hate to be that guy, yet if you hang out for max dollars with anything, you won't sell it.

14 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Such a fickle market atm. My C2 manual cab only got stupid low balls finally a real buyer arrived which was great but negotiations still in their favor vs my expectations, as you expect atm. Interestingly being an early 98 car stamp duty saving going into Vic was a key requirement of buyer so it worked. Unfortunately even waiting a year on a 6.2 won’t make that a factor for a C4S atm. Really depends on what u need to release the cash flow for.
glws John I love the color and spec of your car and I’m sure there is a buyer for it soon.

7 hours ago, Tips said:

Really depends on what u need to release the cash flow for.
glws John I love the color and spec of your car and I’m sure there is a buyer for it soon.

Fortunately no pressing reason to sell.  As mentioned above, it's more the 'holding costs' of a car I'm not using and garage space as my 14 year old has gotten into his gym and mountain bikes 😕 

Aspirational buyers will be dwindling rapidly in this market, just like any other market. Unless someone is in a good position, all toys will be put on hold. To top it off, the Covid pricing stupidity is coming off rapidly too. Its not only on the Porsche market its across the board, especially in the high end. You couldnt find a 488 in the 400s not too long ago and F8's were in the 8-900s now they are edging into the 700s and they have a long way to go yet. 

Unless its something special and limited it will take a pasting. Without knowing how much you paid for it, and you havent driven it in 6 months its time to move it on. Its only going to cost you more as time goes by. Don't look at how much you are losing from the peak look at it reasonably as to how much enjoyment you initially got and then the depreciation you would have copped if it werent for Covid. What I am trying to say is you if you didnt buy during Covid then you never paid the stupid price to begin with. Your opportunity to sell at a high vanished when interest rates started to go up. They will never be 0.1% again, well not this decade at least, unless something really drastic happens. Rates will sit at or around 4-6% retail ie normal, not 2%.

On 01/03/2023 at 20:03, mc968cs said:

Tomorrow will let the cat out of the bag......

Was wth some HN owners over the weekend in 3 words......  We are F@#kED

31 minutes ago, on_booost said:

Harvey Norman Proprietor. A couple of them multi franchisors..... Wow.

I own a high end Audio Visual store, still ticking along ok. The low end has softened a lot and this is where Harvey's franchises would be suffering. The high end is still ok though

4 hours ago, on_booost said:

Harvey Norman Proprietor. A couple of them multi franchisors..... Wow.

Each store is broken down in to a number of franchises - elec, computers, furniture, bedding etc.  Some stores are large enough to break down further (electrical goes down to small goods and whitegoods or similar). but most aren't big enough so they combine them to make it financially worthwhile hence the term 'multi franchise'. Because they can have more than one franchise within the store, they call them proprietors rather than franchisee.

I don't think you can be an owner of multiple franchises across stores though.  In Australia, the franchise is granted for zero franchise fee but you buy the stock on entry and sell it again to the incoming franchisee when you depart.  The granting and removal from a franchise is done by HQ and it happens from time to time that a good performing franchisee is sent to a lesser store so they can bring it up to it's potential.

The  HN franchisor organisation is incredibly flat in structure (about 4 levels between worker bee and Chairman) but it's very much who knows who in order to get things done across most of the operations.  It's still very much a family run publicly listed company.

A highly successful but also frustrating company at times....and of course there's it's chairman who can be a loose cannon 🙂