Where to for Mark Webber?

JustJames

What will Mark Webber do once the knife would between his shoulder blades heals?

We know that Webber likes Porsche – he owns at least two of them. Porsche are returning to Le Mans next year. Webber has driven Le Mans in the past. Could we see him in a Porsche factory seat next year?

Or will he suck it up and carry on with RB?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel for Mark and the position he is now in.

I would love to see him in a Porsche at LM.

The issue on the weekend is a product of modern Auto Racing in general.

Team victory is more important than the driver.

The money involved in team victory is huge.

When you see what the drivers are paid by these teams, its up to the team what the driver should do.

This is hard for the driver who wants to race to the flag and be the best driver on the day.

Fact is, Seb is so much faster than Mark it would be frustrating to sit behind a slower driver.

But, it was the wrong thing to do and he has been called out on it.

What can RB do ?

They want the best, and that is Seb at this point in time.

They can't afford to lose Seb, but if Mark left its no big deal to them.

Plenty of other good No 2 drivers to take his place.

At Marks age, he has no choice but to take it if he wants to stay in F1 and be in a good team.

What a shame Mark never had a good seat when he was in his prime.

Lets hope Porsche grab him for some Sports Car racing. :)

I think it would be great to see him back at Le Mans. Preferably not flipping cars like he did in '99. I think he does get the rough end some times but on the weekend Seb acted like a spoilt little brat. I personally would not be hanging around RB in 2014 if that sort of behavior goes unchecked.

When you see what the drivers are paid by these teams, its up to the team what the driver should do.

This is hard for the driver who wants to race to the flag and be the best driver on the day.

Fact is, Seb is so much faster than Mark it would be frustrating to sit behind a slower driver.

What can RB do ?

At Marks age, he has no choice but to take it if he wants to stay in F1 and be in a good team.

Actually it was clear that Mark was faster than the Vettel. Vettel complained Mark was too slow on the radio(in second stint I think), when Mark was clearly in conservation mode and so Mark put foot down for a few laps and left him for dead, and as we ll all know, he foolishly passed Mark at the end even though he was told not to and to keep the car safe till the end. Multi 21 is red bull code for maintain current positions, and boith drivers were told to turn down motors. This is done as motors now are limited in numbers for the season, and so need to be conserved, but Vettel ignored this team directive, turned his up and overtook Mark. I just hope it comes back to bite him later in the season when he blows his last motor and puts himself out of the championship.

I saw one fan relate it to being like a rugby player going for a try with a clear field and his own team mate crash tackles him and gets the ball to score a try for himself. sounds about right

just my $0.02 worth :)

Actually it was clear that Mark was faster than the Vettel. Vettel complained Mark was too slow on the radio(in second stint I think), when Mark was clearly in conservation mode and so Mark put foot down for a few laps and left him for dead, and as we ll all know, he foolishly passed Mark at the end even though he was told not to and to keep the car safe till the end. Multi 21 is red bull code for maintain current positions, and boith drivers were told to turn down motors. This is done as motors now as motors are limited in numbers for the season, and so need to be conserved, but Vettel ignored this team directive, turned his up and overtook Mark. I just hope it comes back to bite him later in the season when he blows his last motor and puts himself out of the championship.

I saw one fan relate it to being like a rugby player going for a try with a clear field and his own team mate crash tackles him and gets the ball to score a try for himself. sounds about right

just my $0.02 worth :)

Fair point, Bruce.

In general Seb is alot faster than Mark.

The only hope Mark has of winning the title is for Seb to have plenty of bad luck.

Sad but true.  :)

I guess that will always be debatable but I think Marks cool head Vs Sebs red mist, make it seem that way, and throw in a lot of ruthlessness and history may show Vettel was faster, till now but I think this last race proved Mark's capabilities beyond doubt. Great start, great strategy, and most importantly, he was faster, at the right times, and maybe it will angry him up enough to get a little bit of rutlhessness too

What can RB do ?

Generally mark can be faster than seb, but seb is more consistent. Webber seems to have tracks where he dominates, and Malaysia has always been one of those (Silverstone and Monaco are others)

You might think that Mark can be swapped out for another no2 driver, but in reality he is one of the best. Ferrari could have won last year is massa was up to scratch, and there are plenty of other examples.

The other small matter is that red bull is clearly happy to pay mark to sit I the seat and not go on to other teams with invaluable knowledge in his head. And mark knows that he gets shafted, but appears to have accepted his lot in life. If red bull had found their improvements the year before vettel was promoted, he probably would have been wdc. But life is funny like that, and only a ad accident will hand webber the no 1 status. Vettel is an a-hole in many ways, but the record books will omit that over time.

IMO webber will stay with red bull as long as he can. Better a no 2 in the no1 team, as he puts it, "you're a long time retired".

After his gp career is over you will see him moving into team management and driver development. Of that I am sure.

Generally mark can be faster than seb, but seb is more consistent. Webber seems to have tracks where he dominates, and Malaysia has always been one of those (Silverstone and Monaco are others)

You might think that Mark can be swapped out for another no2 driver, but in reality he is one of the best. Ferrari could have won last year is massa was up to scratch, and there are plenty of other examples.

The other small matter is that red bull is clearly happy to pay mark to sit I the seat and not go on to other teams with invaluable knowledge in his head. And mark knows that he gets shafted, but appears to have accepted his lot in life. If red bull had found their improvements the year before vettel was promoted, he probably would have been wdc. But life is funny like that, and only a ad accident will hand webber the no 1 status. Vettel is an a-hole in many ways, but the record books will omit that over time.

IMO webber will stay with red bull as long as he can. Better a no 2 in the no1 team, as he puts it, "you're a long time retired".

After his gp career is over you will see him moving into team management and driver development. Of that I am sure.

I will give Mark one or two tracks.

But , Seb is on another planet for pure speed.

He also has two WDC to his name, so far.

Mark is a very good driver, not a great driver like Seb.  :)

I hope Mr WEBBER does stay with RB. He now has something to prove (without any racing political correctness now). Milk RB for all he can from here on in, it is apparent who RB prefer. (although I think Seb may have now lost a few fans in the team garage) Seb is sensational no doubt, but obviously no ethics. I for one can't wait for the next race. Kick his Butt Mark..

I will give Mark one or two tracks.

But , Seb is on another planet for pure speed.

He also has two WDC to his name, so far.

Mark is a very good driver, not a great driver like Seb.  :)

Agreed.

I am feeling everyones love for Mark but this is racing and I'd be putting my money with Seb - he's got so much more to give. You cant blame him for wanting to take that top step - to be honest I think most would have done the same.

Motor racing history has a lot of people like Seb right up there in the number 1 spot. Win at all costs attitude is going to help if you have capable cars, which they obviously both do. Like him or not Seb wins races and championships and that is what he gets paid big bucks to do.

"Racing is racing" but you FOLLOW Team orders,they pay the bills and decide whether you stay !

I remember a great driver Colin Bond, who would follow orders and stay behind an ailing Allan Moffat on a few famous race winning moments - Bathurst and Sandown.

Nico ROSBERG perfect example on the weekend. He wasn't happy but he stuck to the plan.

I don't agree with "Team Orders" I think it should be every man for himself, but don't take out your team mate in the process.

But if there are Team Orders, then follow them. Sebs a prick and I really hope there is such a thing as Karma out there on the race track.

Where the thing stinks is that mark was told to cruise, turn everything down as the challenge from Hamilton was over and that Vettel wouldn't challenge. mark was clearly able to drive quicker. he pulled away from vettel when he needed to. Vettel decided he didnt want to play that game and had an unfair advantage because by the time Webber realized he was on top of him. Have to say it was pretty skillful driving for it to not end in tears for both of them.

I agree with Barry, the remainder of the season should be awesome if he comes out with the right mindset.

Unfortunately as we all know, Mark cruelled his one and only chance of the title a few years ago with that off track excursion in the wet. Vettel might be the faster driver day in day out but we're talking tenths and hundreds of seconds. Funny how we all become so blasé about such small increments of time. Really don't want to launch any conspiracy theories but it's also clear that Webber hasn't always enjoyed a workplace environment of equal opportunity. 

There are a lot of Webber knockers out there but I'm sure 99.99% of us have no idea what he's feeling or going through, The amount of work and pressure to be an F1 driver despite all the perks must be phenomenal. How many countless thousands of kids go through the ranks and try and make it to the pinnacle of Motorsport for only a pinprick % to sneak through the gate and actually race these cars professionally? For Mark to get as far as he has and still feel capable of winning races and even championships, it must be very galling to know that in the end the Kid just might have the edge in both talent and support. Be very difficult to maintain an even keel publicly and it's something that he sometimes just can't hold in. 

Still, hard to feel sorry for a multi millionaire for long!!!

Archived