Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Mark Poole bought it from Cam, ran it at Rennsport and then another buyer who wanted the car then purchased it the following week from Mark. So technically it went through Mark Poole, but the current owner still has it as far as I know, and loving it.

I thought Cam had it on the market for a while before selling.

I think it was one of those "It never rains, it pours" situations.  No interest for quite a while and then suddenly loads of interest.

The current owner went on a SMT in the Gippsland area with Mike (Spyder).  Sat with me for a while to talk about and get the feel for long hoods.

He still has the car...and the engine screams.

I keep looking at Boxsters - this one sounds like the seller is ready to deal. Low km and Niko would love it!

or more information on this vehicle please visit:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-2898209

Or 996 Cabs - oh this blue is gorgeous!

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/AGC-AD-15641916

I keep looking at Boxsters - this one sounds like the seller is ready to deal. Low km and Niko would love it!

or more information on this vehicle please visit:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-2898209

Excellent! Pull and sell the stock motor to someone with a post IMS situation.

Install V8. (There is nothing like a V8)

The above will not devalue the car , in fact...

Well what would you be prepared to pay for it in today's bubbly market?

Taz,

That's a question that will take some thought.

Given what the silver one is advertised for - $124,000 and whether it sells for close to that or not - means I've missed my chance forever to own a similar car!

My feeling is it's best to approach this as one would a new car. Be prepared to take a depreciation hit (possible in the short-medium term depending upon the fragility of the bubble) but make sure you get plenty of use and fun in the meantime. Life is short and it's only money. Belt tightening in other areas can make these luxury purchases possible when you do the sums.

Or just wait til the kids are educated  :)

I'm now embarrassed thinking back about the reasons used to justify why I shouldn't buy it.I frankly didn't know any better at the time......

It was on the market for quite a while............I'd take a guess that the main reason for this was due to it being a track/rally focused car. Although a lot of money had been spent on the car it's still a lot of money for a 'race car' as opposed to something like Alex's that has the appeal of a track car but also a usable driver.

Yes, it wouldn't have been hard to have made the same transition with Cams old car but the market has shifted substantially in the last 12/18 months and at the time paying 70k (or there about) was up there for such a car. I'd say it's potentially an 80-100k car now and if that's the sort of thing your after there is not much you'll get for under 100k nowadays IMO.

What spec was the orange car?

• Australian delivered 1971 911T with matching numbers original bare engine case.

• Genuine RS rear flares

• Fibreglass front & rear bumpers, ST guards & bonnet

• New windscreen & seal

• Twin battery cut off switches

• Polycarbonate head light lenses

• Front & rear tow hooks

• Elephant Racing front widemouth Carrera oil cooler

• Weltmeister front strut brace

• Light weight battery

Interior

• Twin Velo race seats trimmed in houndstooth - drivers is brand new FIA

• Monit Rally computer

• RS lightweight carpet and door trims

• Walker Chassis 6 point roll cage – CAMS approved

• TRS 6 point harnesses

• North Hollywood Speedometer 8,000rpm converted tacho

• Rennline navigators floorboard

• Momo Prototipo steering wheel

Suspension

• Sway Away adjustable spring plates

• 21mm front solid torsion bars

• 28mm rear hollow torsion bars

• Custom valved Bilstein front inserts

• NOS Bilstein front struts

• Koni rear shocks

• New front wheel bearings

• New ball joints

• Turbo tie rods

• Elephant Racing Polybronze front & rear bushings

• New front & rear brake rotors & standard M rear and S front calipers

Transmission 911/901

• Original transmission re-geared and just refreshed-AEKQV gears with 904 mainshaft.

• Wevo transmission mounts

• Billet aluminium intermediate plate

• Modena LSD

• Billet aluminium sideplate

• New rear driveshafts

Twin Plug 2.3 Motor

Case

• 7R Case – 911/91 from a ’73 2.4 litre motor

• Supertec Head Studs

• Case savers, Shuffle pinning, Resurface + line bore, Oil bypass, Modify for turbo pump, Clean + test squirters

• All machine work by Competition Engineering in the US

Crank

• 66mm S counter weighted crank

• Cross drilled

• Balanced & micropolished

Pistons

• 10.5:1 JE (Mark Poole specs)

Cylinders

• Nickies Cylinders – 85.5mm

Rods

• Pauter short stroke – balanced + matched for weight

Heads

• Valves – 46mm intake and 40mm exhaust

• Twin Plugged

• Aasco racing valve springs & titanium retainers

• Heads CNC ported to Steve Weiners (Rennsport Systems) specs – approx 38mm

Induction

• Tall PMO Manifolds port matched to heads

• Weber 40 carbs

Oil Pump

• 996 turbo pump

Distributor

• JB Racing twin plug

Exhaust

• Cairns muffler, made in Australia, stainless steel.

• SSI’s 

Cams

• DC 44 on 102 lobe centres-John Dougherty

Starter Motor

• Lightweight co-axial (lightest 911 starter available)

Re Cam Arnotts very nice orange 911, from a competitors perspective it didn't quite fit the mould, and these smaller capacity hot rods always seem to have taken time to sell. I thought it was an outstanding buy for a lover of hot rods like me, but I couldn't find a category in which to run it that made sense, and didn't just want a small capacity road 911. The same happened with Tweedies silver early 911 the year before, which ttok ages to sell and which I also looked hard at. The small capacity early 911's are more expensive in maintenance terms, if only because you work them so hard, that unless you have a racing class that encourages smaller capacity cars, and we don't in WA, then you are up the maintenance creek. My mechanic always looks sideways at me when I run this style of car past him, and says "and what are you going to do with this"? Sadly he's right. In the east you can always run Group N, but not here. Hence the blue 3.4 RS project we are running now.

I think Alex's very nice silver hot rod is a little easier to justify because he has trodden that fine line between road and track so well.

My car (orange ST) was on the market for about 12 months before Mark Poole bought it with plans to race it. He then changed direction after Rennsport and sold it to the guy that was right behind him with an offer. Mark is now building a car for the IROC series.

Alex's car might seem expensive but to get it to the level it is at costs a lot of money. Mine had $45K worth of engine built from scratch and had the matching # spare engine case. Let alone all the other fruit that went into it. A trans rebuild with a new LSD is $7-$8K. Alex's car has a complete matching #'s additional engine. To find a half decent non rusty long hood is now at least a $50-$60 proposition. Doesn't take long for the $$'s to mount up.

In 12 months from now people will probably be posting here about how cheap Alex's car was! If you want one, stump up the cash now because they are not going to get any cheaper……...

I bought another long hood a few months back! I missed having one and like playing with them too much. And its a horror that needs some love ;)

I'm now embarrassed thinking back about the reasons used to justify why I shouldn't buy it.

I frankly didn't know any better at the time......

I didn't really have the money. Not just sitting there anyhow. It would have meant selling the Speedster and although I often think of doing so, I always change my mind. Hence me offering $62K (or maybe it was $64K) for it (Cam you may recall?). It's all I could justify paying for it at the time. I already have a race car and it would just have been a fast road car. Kind of a waste really. What I ended up buying has allowed me to keep the Speedster and enjoy long bonnet ownership as well, albeit at a much slower pace.  :P  It's a lovely machine and I'm glad to hear the current owner is using and enjoying it. 

My feeling is it's best to approach this as one would a new car. Be prepared to take a depreciation hit (possible in the short-medium term depending upon the fragility of the bubble) but make sure you get plenty of use and fun in the meantime. Life is short and it's only money. Belt tightening in other areas can make these luxury purchases possible when you do the sums.

Or just wait til the kids are educated  :)

Exactly - People don't think twice about taking a 30% hit in 2-3 years on a new car

What spec was the orange car?

I'm nursing a semi after reading the spec  :blink:

Particularly when the good red one is still available at $49,950. (I reckon the dealer has actually increased the price from when it was first advertised.)

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1989/AGC-AD-16040971/?Cr=6&sdmvc=1

I notice Mike, the slightly cheaper but ratty red C4 is still on Car Sales.