Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

There was room for one more P-Car in your garage last time I was there Peter, trouble is there aren't enough days on the weekend to take each one out.

I'm considering taking my yellow toy to work once a week or so on fine days to get a bit more value out of the rego, assist with the de-stress process on the way home and reduce the km's I'm putting on the truck by 60-120km per week. The biggest problem, apart from having to park it exposed all day is I don't need another reason to want to finish work ASAP. B)

That black 944S2 appears to be the same low 110000 km S2 advertised for approx $17000 at a dealer on the NSW Central Coast a few months ago. It ticked all the 944 boxes for me (especially on servicing, cam belts etc) but I tried and failed to convince myself that I could own another black car as a daily driver.

Now in VIC for $23500, assuming it is the same S2 as it is also NSW registered, it would be interesting to know how much better the new owner can do with a larger market base to hand compared to the NSW dealer.

Sounds pricey for the obvious issues and undoubted issues yet to find.  But what do I know - these cars in this type of condition were selling for $15k a year ago.  I guess the conversions of steering and gearbox pull the value back a bit.  Maybe the real market for this is someone who wants a long hood body to make a hotrod out of it.

Who needs a new daily?   $25K 996... engine rebuild 10,00km ago... ad sounds a bit dodgy though!  Cheap car if it checks out though...

I realise this particular one is a bit of a special but how low will Carrera 996 prices go?

Objectively they have a lot going for them even after allowing for the almost obligatory IMS fix and I particularly like how they are still a compact sized car. Only thing that grates for me is the early 90's Hyundai lookalike dashboard.

Prices must surely continue to be squeezed as fundamentally the market I think considers all the water cooled ones as one market segment where newer is best as there is no other real differentiation between the types?

Also the sheer numbers. A quick survey of Carreras coupes for sale on Carsales gives:

5 G series

3 964's

3 993's

58 996's

45 997's

15 997(II)'s

36 991's

So the question is how much longer should we wait before buying a 996 Carrera?

I also apologise up front to any water cooled 911 owner's that I have unintentionally offended by my oversimplified propositions above.

More info on the red 912

MAN I want to have a look at this!

Just had the shrug of the shoulders and a 'Whatever' when I showed the missus, so I rang him for a preliminary chat. Amiable enough, yet I think I may have woke him up!

He's been offered $27.5k when it was last advertised at $33k and didnt accept it. Sounds like he's stuck pretty close to the asking price too. Dunno if I would go to $27k with transport etc to consider.

As Coastr says, It'd be great to use as a hills blaster and fit a cage, race seats, lower it etc.

To me, regardless whether it's been converted or not, it's still a 912 that can be gradually cleaned up to be a nice car and driven around, or hot rodded like what I would do to it.

See how I go I spose

It is an interesting question...  Esp. early watercooled, like the 996.

I mean, how low can they go?  Where is the bottom? Will they ever actually come up?  While it may sound crazy to some the idea of them rising, i'm sure their were a number of periods through time where the way we perceive the value & desirability of some models today would have seemed ridiculous!  

There was a time when it made sense to update your longhood to impact bumper...

There was a time when it made sense to update your impact bumper or longhood to 964 or 993...

And up to about 6 months ago, it made sense to backdate your 964 to longhood... not so sure that'd be a good move now...

But at some point they were all less-loved that their older classic, or newer modern siblings...and that made it totally ok to bastardize one however you wanted.

But will it ever come for watercooled cars?  Or will there be a permanent divide between air & watercooled that means 996's end up being worth $1000???  Or will todays 15yo kid in 30 years time think they are "just so cool" and pay $100K for a good original manual coupe?  Sounds crazy today, but it's happened before.

996s will be slammed - I've thought this from the second they were released. Reason 1 is headlights. Reason 2 which came later is IMS.

The 996 might lack the 'clack clack clack' of the aircooled cars, but its still a 911. I challenge anyone to take one for a drive and say that its not fun to drive - yep, its fatter than earlier cars, but it also has a shedload more grunt. Put an exhaust on it and it sounds the business too.

I really hope the price holds up, but if they become <$30k specials, look on the bright side, all of PFA will have a new daily drive :D

MAN I want to have a look at this!

Just had the shrug of the shoulders and a 'Whatever' when I showed the missus, so I rang him for a preliminary chat. Amiable enough, yet I think I may have woke him up!

He's been offered $27.5k when it was last advertised at $33k and didnt accept it. Sounds like he's stuck pretty close to the asking price too. Dunno if I would go to $27k with transport etc to consider.

As Coastr says, It'd be great to use as a hills blaster and fit a cage, race seats, lower it etc.

To me, regardless whether it's been converted or not, it's still a 912 that can be gradually cleaned up to be a nice car and driven around, or hot rodded like what I would do to it.

See how I go I spose

this car was for sale approx 8 mths ago for 16k. So there's plenty room for at least a discussion.

On face value looks ' tidy' enough, is it worth the asking price based on the description - PPI as I don't think there's much documentation to support the engine body claims.

this car was for sale approx 8 mths ago for 16k. So there's plenty room for at least a discussion.

On face value looks ' tidy' enough, is it worth the asking price based on the description - PPI as I don't think there's much documentation to support the engine body claims.

Cheers mate

Sounds like he is accepting an offer after the text I received today

I would have had a PPI done and viewed it myself.

I should just be more patient with mine than buying another one!

Anyone know anything about this 88 930 ? - http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/D_3099930/used-1988-PORSCHE-930-TURBO--Manual-Other-Coupe-in-LEEDERVILLE,-WA.html   looks like a great deal  if solid.

So just because it's an import , this low mileage turbo is worth the same or less than a similar era Carrera? Or does it have some interesting history ?