Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Either loaded - or naive.

Theoretically (not this car) , what happens to the value when a leakdown reveals an engine needing a rebuild? 15-20k, which the new owner hasn't budgeted for. Hang onto it until saved up enough , or put it back on the market at ??$?

Always interesting to speculate.

Edit: this comment below is mine (firstone) not tassieman. I stuffed the quote thingy up.

I met a fellow recently that bought an air cooled in a similar way. Only to find it had broken head studs. He says he got a quote for repairs and decided it was more than he was willing to spend. He then placed it on the market and it sold quickly with no ppi. He gave no clue it needed repairs.

Not nice....but I'm not surprised in this hot hot hot market.

My comment in no way relates to any vehicle discussed here. Just noting for reference.

Oops, stuffed up the quote thingy there.

It's easy to do , slightly easier than buying a dud 911!

Re my scenario above , not so long ago I was made aware of such an experience locally ; after 20k rebuild the young and completely naive buyer (single & high income ) had himself a "new car".  Well the engine was , not sure what else the seller had kept hidden.

The gold rush scrabble for old 911s is indeed a bit of a minefield. 

Now on a different tangent , how would we feel if our better 1/2s went out and on a whim bought something (not a car) with the heart ruling the head?

I'm not talking a few k , how about 40-50 upwards. How would we react?  :wub:  :(  :unsure:  :angry:  or  :D

Now on a different tangent , how would we feel if our better 1/2s went out and on a whim bought something (not a car) with the heart ruling the head?

I'm not talking a few k , how about 40-50 upwards. How would we react?  :wub:  :(  :unsure:  :angry:  or  :D

That's quite OT, don't know if this Is the thread to discuss/answer that question?

I would take her in to the bedroom & make her day complete.....

That first one is what some of us would call a " Frankenporsche " .........

It's a converted convertible, meaning it wasn't originally built as a convertible ....... its got a 3.0 litre motor which is from a '79 - '83 model ....... it has flared guards front and rear which have been added later ..... wrong rear spoiler, and who knows what else.

If you dont mind a non original car, then thats ok ...... and I'm not saying that theres anything wrong with it, but be aware that it far from original .....

$20k leaves a bit in the bank for repair work. Or if the C3 motor is any good it could be a good starting point for a track car. Sell off the later model 964 bumpers, wheels and wing to help pay for lightweight period correct items, suspension, seats, roll bar and you're away.

Hey guys, sorry for the possible "checked one", but, this one any good?
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1974/SSE-AD-3093359/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

that '74 cabrio has air con, late 2.7 steering wheel, electric windows/late model door trims and big Carrera 3.2 vents - wonder what it used to be?

maybe a total bitsa, but would be weird to do a dashboard swap amongst everything wouldn't it?

that '74 cabrio has air con, late 2.7 steering wheel, electric windows/late model door trims and big Carrera 3.2 vents - wonder what it used to be?

maybe a total bitsa, but would be weird to do a dashboard swap amongst everything wouldn't it?

Not if it was a lefty to begin with and that dash was all you had sitting around in the parts bin .....

Is it safe to say the market for 911 bitsa's isn't exactly red hot ?

Looks like there's money to be made , Wheeler Dealer style. e.g. backdating forward dated cars. Though as we know that isn't quite as simple or cheap as it sounds, unless you 'ave a mate who knows a mate...

I wonder how many guys have sold the Fuchs to fund the body kit and big wheels? 

Is it safe to say the market for 911 bitsa's isn't exactly red hot ?

Looks like there's money to be made , Wheeler Dealer style. e.g. backdating forward dated cars. Though as we know that isn't quite as simple or cheap as it sounds, unless you 'ave a mate who knows a mate...

I wonder how many guys have sold the Fuchs to fund the body kit and big wheels?

I reckon this one would be a little harder and more expensive than most ...... just trying to put it back to a targa or coupe (whatever it was) would be an effort in itself ..... then there's the wheels, guards front and rear, interior, ..........

That first one is what some of us would call a " Frankenporsche " .........

It's a converted convertible, meaning it wasn't originally built as a convertible ....... its got a 3.0 litre motor which is from a '79 - '83 model ....... it has flared guards front and rear which have been added later ..... wrong rear spoiler, and who knows what else.

If you dont mind a non original car, then thats ok ...... and I'm not saying that theres anything wrong with it, but be aware that it far from original .....

Yeah, I`ve sort it out, that is really frankenporsche... But, for me there are at least 2 "but"s: 1.convertible - I`m after coupe and 2. 2.7slash3.0 litre with "who the hell knows what inside of this car"...

Worth it just for the seat covers  :unsure:

they so tough... can sell it straight away for bargain 20 grand :))))