Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

That's crap about bidding on a car with a fixed asking price.

So what is the owner saying. If you call him he say the price is now $35K because some else has offered it.

Poor form in my eyes. It should be on eBay if there is a bidding war.

I agree but basically that is what's happening,,,then again would you sell it for the listed price if people were ringing you offering more?

It's a car at the end of the day money talks....

There are no rules about how you make a sale.  Money talks. 

I think everyone on this forum has thought about ringing the guy and making an offer.

I wonder why the rash of fire sales?  It never rains, it pours!

at $35K with a paint needing a fix, it would put this in the mid $40k range  ...  and this does not include any work on the motor or gbox and the "There is a list of mechanical items that need fixing ...." list, so it could go high $40k to low $50k for a clean, original and well sorted, factory RHD 2.7l 911 .... I would rather put $50k into a local SC or a 3.2l

and there is always the stigma of it being a UK import and a 2.7l motor

.... but it does look great with the colour and the chrome trim combination 

Andrew,

How about the option of not making it pristine?

Just buy it, do enough to preserve it and just drive and drive and drive?

ie a worry free car.  Don't have to care about paint swirls and stone chips.  Sounds attractive to me.....

At the risk of going off Topic.

Yes I would sell it for the asking price if someone paid a deposit.

People offering and people paying are two different things. I assume he has not taken a deposit and I wonder how many of the so called offers have actually turned up to view the car.

I just think it stinks, so I view the car and he tells me the price has gone up. Or worse still pay a deposit on agreed fixed price and he tells me someone else has offered more after the fact.

He is playing with fire if that's that's what he is doing.

Anyway what else is for sale, clearly this guy is just wasting his and everyone's time.

At the risk of going off Topic.

Yes I would sell it for the asking price if someone paid a deposit.

People offering and people paying are two different things. I assume he has not taken a deposit and I wonder how many of the so called offers have actually turned up to view the car.

I just think it stinks, so I view the car and he tells me the price has gone up. Or worse still pay a deposit on agreed fixed price and he tells me someone else has offered more after the fact.

He is playing with fire if that's that's what he is doing.

Anyway what else is for sale, clearly this guy is just wasting his and everyone's time.

Same thing happens every weekend with houses.  Sometimes the buyer has the strong hand, sometimes the seller.  It's as frustrating as a recalcitrant dog, but that's the way it is.

Just came back from seeing

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-3310433

Wasn't happy about the owner changing terms and conditions after I arrived. His now taking offers....was up to 32k...didn't make an offer after finding car hasn't moved for 3 years. Body was in bad shape. Both rear guards damaged. Bad panel work on front right with small rust spots... Good project car if you have 40k plus purchase price.

Just came back from seeing

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/SSE-AD-3310433

Wasn't happy about the owner changing terms and conditions after I arrived. His now taking offers....was up to 32k...didn't make an offer after finding car hasn't moved for 3 years. Body was in bad shape. Both rear guards damaged. Bad panel work on front right with small rust spots... Good project car if you have 40k plus purchase price.

I rest my case, big difference between offering and parting with your hard earned.

The whole thing speaks volumes about the car itself.

Thanks for the Report 9++

Andrew,

How about the option of not making it pristine?

Just buy it, do enough to preserve it and just drive and drive and drive?

ie a worry free car.  Don't have to care about paint swirls and stone chips.  Sounds attractive to me.....

sure, good option,  you could drive it as-is and only do the things that need to be done to keep it running, but where do you draw the line ? .... you will only delay spending the $$$, but sooner or later you will have to spend the cash

personally, with this one I would attend to the rust right away as it always gets worse over time and I would not drive this one with the bad faded paint ...  if it was only swirls and chips, no problem ....  and you would always have to have $$$ in the bank in case the engine needed work (pulled studs, tensioners. etc)  ...  if you wait for things too break, then it costs way more to fix 

yes, sounds attractive and it could be a very cool car as-is, but not at $35k with a list of existing mechanical problems    ....  I would rather take my chances with a less problematic SC or 3.2 

a better option may be, if the price was right,  to use this one as a donor project car ...  get a 3.0l or 3.2l engine and backdate in to RS or RSR

....  my 5 cents

Funny how says in ad for 88 Carrera at $27k never been in accident. I counted 4 separate incidents... when I got there he wasn't taking deposits only bids...that's wrong. As stated by previous members, if you want to auction..put it on ebay or take it to an auction house.

NOT cool at all

I rest my case, big difference between offering and parting with your hard earned.

The whole thing speaks volumes about the car itself.

Thanks for the Report 9++

Had a friend keen as mustard on it who offered well above the asking price and this is the message he just received... Take what you want from it I guess

Hi

I'm very sorry to tell you that I cannot sell my car to you because the prior exchange of information and documents with the other party apparently constitutes a binding contract. I've been on the phone to his lawers all afternoon and this state of affairs has been made very clear to me. However, I will consult my own lawers tomorrow and advise you immediately if the situation changes.

With great regret, (names removed for purpose of this conversation)

Had a friend keen as mustard on it who offered well above the asking price and this is the message he just received... Take what you want from it I guess

Hi

I'm very sorry to tell you that I cannot sell my car to you because the prior exchange of information and documents with the other party apparently constitutes a binding contract. I've been on the phone to his lawers all afternoon and this state of affairs has been made very clear to me. However, I will consult my own lawers tomorrow and advise you immediately if the situation changes.

With great regret, (names removed for purpose of this conversation)

Yikes.

Bail now.

I seriously do not see the attraction of either a cheap Porsche, or a neglected Porsche, and this car is both of those things.

Probably just a crap excuse to pull the car from market and relist it much higher.

If someone is going to the length of getting lawyers involved for 'breach of contract' over the sale of a car, youve really got to think how stupid people can be of its legit.

What a load of crap

He has run the sale badly and now is getting greedy.

It's OK to let people bid you up but you still take the first one with the cash.

'exchange of information forms a binding contract'

Over a $30k porsche?  Please.  Even if you did pay all the costs to get it to court, what damages are you going to get? 

I've been on the phone to his lawers all afternoon

All afternoon?  A 30 second conversation?  I'm not buying it.   Someone has been watching too many TV shows.

At this rate he'll end up with no sale and a car well known by the market.