Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Out of interest.

Is a '76 Carrera 3.0 5spd. coupe w/ sunroof, non a/c, matching numbers-UK delivered- Aus imported in about 1980 with full service history & same owner for the past 22 years but in need of a 30k body, paint, suspension restoration worth restoring or should it be parted out?

By worth I don't mean emotionally but rather financially.

Emotionally it's always worth doing.

It's an impossible answer unless you want to also add in your cost basis. If you've owned the car for 22 years you might consider that it's 'free' in that you have written off the original purchase /running costs.

Without seeing how rough it is, it's hard to say. Fully restored, properly, the car would fetch a good price. Certainly more than the $30k you're planning (which could easily run to $40k or more). You'd be assured of getting every cent of the restoration cost back out, but depends if you want to talk about your original purchase costs.

Out of interest.

Is a '76 Carrera 3.0 5spd. coupe w/ sunroof, non a/c, matching numbers-UK delivered- Aus imported in about 1980 with full service history & same owner for the past 22 years but in need of a 30k body, paint, suspension restoration worth restoring or should it be parted out?

Ecurie sold a UK C3 last month for close to 90k + it wasn't what I would call a minter - worth a note. 

30k was an approximate quote from 3 separate classic car restorers in SEQ. No quotes included touching the engine other than to remove it for painting.

They also excluded items that needed replacing along the way like rubbers etc.

The plan was to hot rod the C3. Nothing extreme just the usual Wevo 'box upgrades, suspension upgrades, SSI's and the like.

I honestly believe that a proper/complete resto with the upgrades I wan to do is about a 60k job.

Add on the value of the car As-Is (35K ???). I'm guessing it would then have to be worth around $95K to be worthwhile financially.

I honestly believe that a proper/complete resto with the upgrades I wan to do is about a 60k job.

Add on the value of the car As-Is (35K ???). I'm guessing it would then have to be worth around $95K to be worthwhile financially.

dont part it - you'd be a numb nut-  if its a complete runing or almost running car.

I'll give you $35k sight unseen 

:lol:

Serious

Even if you had to dump it today you would get over $50K for it. So I'm not sure where the parting out idea comes from?

As someone pointed out a Carrera 3.0, UK import that had been to the moon and back and was not entirely correct sold for its full asking price of $95K at Ecurie.

Find the other bidder from the Shannons 75S auction, he was willing to pay $70K ish for a car that  he couldnt even have properly PPI'd

Out of interest.

That's the gold coloured one I recall?

If so I would keep it and do it up as you can.  Otherwise just do enough to get it running and registered, if it's not already, auction it off and expect to be pleasantly surprised with the $.

CTS had a red one 18 months ago that went for surprising money at the time that needed a similar amount of work.  BenC3.o can tell you as his memory is no doubt better than mine!  Admittedly was Oz delivered and had some interesting history but surely this shouldn't make much difference and the market appears to have increased $30k or so for C3.o's in this period.

Also the market has got wider with greater recognition and the crash of the dollar so it may be back to the UK.

Good luck!

The red one at CTS was listed at 40k Pete and sold within a week. Hadn't been started in 7years and was sold as a non running, unregistered car.

Around the same time a guy in Vic by the name of Tim listed one (white) in similar condition to yours 76 C3, it was Australian delivered and he was asking 45k. Not sure if sold or taken off the market. Tim was also talking about restoring it so not sure which way he went. Hopefully for him he restored it as it would be worth 110kplus now IMO.