How hard do you drive your car?

BAFE

I often wonder if what I call "spirited driving"  and everyone else's idea are the same or quite different.

I don't regularly redline my car (7000rpm)  and in fact most times probably change below 4000 

But i also read many others here suggesting not changing until 4000 to ensure the oil gets a good workout inside the block.

I realise in normal city traffic you can't be changing gears at 5000 + rpm...

but… On a SMT or a when you are in the windy bits and have the Road (and the car) to yourselves...

How hard do you push?

The next part of that is how hard do you push the car in terms of traction?

I think i might be conservative as I don't rev its nuts of but i do like to test the adhesive properties of the tyres around corners….

so...

what do you do?

As all the driving experience I've had in my car is on the road only, I don't push that hard to be honest, spirited yes but not driven on its limit.. actually what scares me most about this car is the fact I have never lost control of it, or approached its limit! So I plan on doing some of that on the track as well as some DE.

There are however moments, a straight line presents its self and I take it to 8000RPM so I can listen to that incredible sound track and get that "ass in seat" feeling  :lol: it is addictive but it loves it.. :P

As all the driving experience I've had in my car is on the road only, I don't push that hard to be honest, spirited yes but not driven on its limit.. actually what scares me most about this car is the fact I have never lost control of it, or approached its limit! So I plan on doing some of that on the track as well as some DE.

There are however moments, a straight line presents its self and I take it to 8000RPM so I can listen to that incredible sound track and get that "ass in seat" feeling   :lol: it is addictive but it loves it.. :P

Many years ago i went to a company paid porsche track day.. it was supposed to be for clients, but most cancelled so we went :)

we could not drive the cars, we were just passengers but going around the track in a GT3 I was amazed at the capability of the car and driver. At the time i never imagined it could go so hard around corners but the car was more than capable. Amazing car.

I think i was actually shocked at how quick my car goes around corners.

On the GOR trip i had a few moments where i found the limit of adhesion and the PCM picked the car back up and kept me running...

but i didn't red line it all day and may have only hit 6000 rpm once...

Most time would have found me changing gears at 4-5K

I found it much more enjoyable to "keep in my lane"  and not cut the corners even when it was clear...

Sort of forcing the car the "long way" around the corners...

in terms of traction i never go over 80% on public roads, always leave a bit in it for unforeseen circumstances. on track of course is different..

in terms of revving it, so long as it's well maintained and up to temp these engines are happy to spin up and down all day long, they are built for it! but i do not limiter bash. i also still make my gearchanges deliberate rather than smashing the shifter into place :D

as a result even with the kind of driving and track work i do the car is tipping on 225,000km and 7 years in my possession and going strong, with only a broken fuel pump and a gearbox refresh being required.

8XDxxeq.jpg

who needs their rear bumper attached anyway

I don't think Porsches like being babied around, they like being driven as they were designed (I think this was touched on in the 100 Porsches and me documentary too - where the north Americans weren't driving their cars 'properly')

I never drive my car hard.

I like to keep the revs under 4000.

On a SMT I may push 4500 but I make sure that I stay at the back of the group.

Oh, and there is no traction control in the 993 so I stick to the posted limits on the corners!

I never drive my car hard.

I like to keep the revs under 4000.

On a SMT I may push 4500 but I make sure that I stay at the back of the group.

Oh, and there is no traction control in the 993 so I stick to the posted limits on the corners!

You lying bastard

I never drive my car hard.I like to keep the revs under 4000.On a SMT I may push 4500 but I make sure that I stay at the back of the group.Oh, and there is no traction control in the 993 so I stick to the posted limits on the corners!

l was waiting for you to step in and now l'm on floor in stitches.

On the track I push it as hard as I am capable of, on the Targa Tours I run it to just on the red line where I can, so far the car kicks my arse every time. The only time I have found myself at the limit it's my limit & the cars limit is beyond that. I've bounced off the rev limiter a couple of times & I feel like an incompetent criminal. On public roads I am a perfect citizen ( provided no one is looking). It's a Porsche, what was it built for???

Yes that's the other point i guess, i don't slam my changes through, still try to keep it smooth.

And I'm probably a little hesitant on the brakes as well...

Hesitant on the brakes??? Having followed you on GOR SMT, I was actually concerned your brake lights weren't working. The cornering capability of that car had me dropping a few F bombs! I felt comfortable in my car keeping up with you but definately wouldn't push it any harder.

Hesitant on the brakes??? Having followed you on GOR SMT, I was actually concerned your brake lights weren't working. The cornering capability of that car had me dropping a few F bombs! I felt comfortable in my car keeping up with you but definately wouldn't push it any harder.

don't want to wear them out  B)

I just picked up some of those A050's Hugh... How do you like them on the road?

Cheers

I rate them, they are a good tyre. The Dunlop's may just have the edge (pardon the pun), but still regard the Advan's highly. You will notice the difference coming of a 'street' tyre for sure. 

I rate them, they are a good tyre. The Dunlop's may just have the edge (pardon the pun), but still regard the Advan's highly. You will notice the difference coming of a 'street' tyre for sure.

Hugh, How do you find them in the wet?

Hugh, How do you find them in the wet?

To be honest the car does'nt see the wet very often,  :rolleyes:

I have however been through the odd damp road at speed and found them to be fine. I know a few run semi's in all weather for Targa's etc. and seem to hold up. 

Used the R888s on the track at Symonds Plains and the road trip around Tassie with spirited driving.

Worked a treat on all surfaces and wear was conservative with no tread walking. Brake wear minimal (didn't use - them except at the end of the straights).

Archived