STOLEN...RENMAX BRABHAM & TRAILER

Niko

A friend of the family has had his RENMAX BRABHAM stolen on the early hours of Saturday the 21st of December..  

The car was in the trailer below.

Factory gates at Rowville were cut and the trailer Reg No T39795 containing the car was stolen.

HISTORY:   apparently this is number 1 of only 4 made.  It was rear ended in what is thought to be it's second only outing and then rebuilt with a REPCO V8 engine (number RB740 E16C) which came out of Leo GEOGHANS Lotus 39 and had also previously been used by Sir Jack Brabham in 1967.

It had a long history in racing.  1970-72 with Doug McArthur.   1972-75 with Barry Norma RANDALL and then with the GIBSON family from 1975 - 2011.   The current owner Jay BONDINI purchased the car after it had been sitting for many years and it took a a team of very talented and very good friends 12 months and a hell of a lot of money to rebuild the car to it's current condition (as pictured)

This is the only one in the world with a REPCO Engine fitted and is very very rare.

The police have told Jay that there is little hope of him ever seeing it again in one piece and it will probably be dumped and burnt.   The biggest chance of getting it back is by locating the trailer.

So if all you good Porker People out there Australia wide could keep an image of the trailer in your minds and see if you happen to spot it on your travels.

If anyone sees the trailer (or the car) could you either contact the nearest police or 000 or alternatively ring the owner Jay on 0438 438093 

BondiniRennmax.jpg

BondiniTrailer1.jpg

BondiniTrailer2.jpg

Niko, sorry to hear this, don't you think it's an inside job? How many people would know about the car, surely it's not a random! I hope your friend gets his car back & the thieves die.

P.S. Not sure I can say that but I hate people who steal.

Thanks gents, apparently there is some thought that they may have only been after the trailer, but ended up with the car as well.

Not sure about that personally, but maybe...

Hopefully it will turn up, my thoughts are it is probably in a container and on the way to a new home O.S. somewhere, not that you would be able to bring it out in public....

I hate burglars and car thieves with a vengeance.

I think the sentence you have handed down GC is fair and proper.

Thanks gents, apparently there is some thought that they may have only been after the trailer, but ended up with the car as well.

Not sure about that personally, but maybe...

Niko this was the first thing i thought of as I read it.  A LOT of trailers get stolen by what I would call pretty unsophisticated, opportunistic  thieves.  They would be pretty easy to re-birth and re-sell.  The car may have been a surprise bonus...

I really do hope this piece of history finds it's way home in one piece.

I've never felt comfortable storing cars, motorbikes, machinery etc on a trailer - it just makes it too damn easy for them to haul the lot away...

Yes Trev very possible, and the trailer (with car inside) which was not in the workshop  and open to see as it sat in the yard.   I believe the actual height inside the trailer is only 1.4 or 1.5  metres so not a great deal of height to put anything substantial in.   Would have been a very snug fit with the car.

You would hope if it was just the trailer they were after, they would just dump the car somewhere to be found....maybe....

Hi Chris, I think Jay wants it out there as much as possible, but not being a believer of follower of anything Facebook.... 

(probably the dinosaur in me)

But  I guess any publicity is good publicity.

Reward has never been mentioned so I would say no reward is going to be offered.

I think we are relying on the good will of the good people out there especially the motoring fraternity to keep an eye out.....

And just make the appropriate phone call if they happen to see either the trailer of the car.   (000 will do nicely)   

That would be reward in itself.

Cheers mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Arthur, yes mate that is the one, took a long time before the media took it up.

Think it might be in a container on the way to lands unknown unfortunately.

Wow, just wrote the above post and heard on the police report on AW the car has been found I think in Belgrave and still in good nick.

Great news, there goes the car in a container theory.

Thanks to all on the forum who would have been keeping an eye out.

Archived