• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats happening tomorrow, have I missed something? :unsure:  :lol:

O' just the most anticipated Porsche purchase of the decade, well maybe a close call with Amanda but we both know it was inevitable that one of you two bought this car................. :D  B)

What are the chances of a late post Saturday night for a Steve F organised SMT for Sunday :D

…...and you don't think it will be washed, polished and caressed to within an inch of its life over the weekend ???  ;)

Hey Steve F,

One more sleep and then the joy of the M1 for the drive home I gather. Great car and I am sure you are going to enjoy it for a long time. I am sure there will be plenty of smiles tomorrow. See out on the road hopefully soon. All the best.

Dean

Thanks guys. It is highly likely that all of the above will happen over the next few days! Hmmm...not sure wether to take the M1 or the long way back home? I hope to catch up soon for an SMT. Pictures to follow tomorrow....

Thanks guys. It is highly likely that all of the above will happen over the next few days! Hmmm...not sure wether to take the M1 or the long way back home? I hope to catch up soon for an SMT. Pictures to follow tomorrow....

Always the long way home mate!

O' just the most anticipated Porsche purchase of the decade, well maybe a close call with Amanda but we both know it was inevitable that one of you two bought this car................. :D  B)

Nah this is far more anticipated than my purchase.  Steve has loyally participated in this forum, shopped for Porsches for months - always on a budget. He didn't do a silly thing and buy a car that would make his wife angry or get himself in any poop.  He waited and it's paid off for him in a large way ie buying a car that has been absolutely mechanically pampered for a very very reasonable price (if he bought at the price I saw it for) from a very astute and great seller.

I'm somewhat a pale green - the color of good hearted envy.  Good on Steve!  Had I been more patient....  words I've uttered too many times in my life. 

So steve - get out of that 911 and post some bloody photos! :P

Good evening everyone,

Wow. What a day. I am still on a high. Before I give you a blow by blow account here is the most important picture, me collecting my first Porsche...(check out the grin!)

5343488d1c081a420dcfa6f5dd9de13d_zpse536

I caught the train up to Autowerks and Sarah kindly came and collected me from the station which was fantastic. I was a little early (no surprises there!) so spent some time looking over the car again, not quite believing it was mine. Whilst I waited for Peter to arrive I had a look around the workshop and some of the amazing cars. Peter arrived in his beautiful 964 to conduct the formalities. It was fantastic to finally meet him. We chatted for a while before he had to leave. He even gave me a spare rear deck lid as I am going to change the current wing eventually. Here is a picture of the old and the new.

image_zpsdb310c7f.jpg

image_zps9b20de78.jpg

Peter bid farewell to his baby and I promised to take good care of her. I headed off for lunch and went through the extensive file of work that Peter had given me. :blink: Simon fitted the rear stabiliser bar. I came back with the car on the hoist so it was a great opportunity to take a look underneath. I must say that it looked very clean for a car of this age. Even a few of the mechanics said it was a really good car. Peter has kept very good care of it. The time finally came for me to drive off into the sunset.

I love the sound of starting this car, just sitting there listen to the engine. What a unique and raw noise.Looking over the iconic bonnet. Before starting off I had to reprogram my brain to not drive with my hand on the gear knob otherwise it would disengage the clutch. I few times I was sitting at the lights wondering why I was revving and nothing was happening. The cars around me must have thought I was such a hoon. I decided that the long way home was the only option and quickly jumped off the M1 onto Peats Ridge Road and then down to Wisemans Ferry which is about 50km of winding roads, cross the Hawkesberry River (by ferry)and another 50km home. Not knowing the car very well I took it easy and just enjoyed the experience. The sun shining, windows down, a winding road and very little traffic. Fantastic fun. I have to say I enjoyed it when starting off and accelerating through the gears. What a symphony.

image_zps6a2b468b.jpg

The driving experience? Compared to many modern cars it is very raw and mechanical as many of you know. Experiencing a sporto gearbox is hard to explain. (Russ, you may need to help me out here)It is similar to driving a manual because you are still moving through the gears but strange because there is no clutch. This car was originally a 3 speed but converted to a 4. I found myself starting in L at the lights and quickly moving to D, then D3. You could start quite easily in D though. D4 was only really used on the freeway. Sitting on 60 it felt like D was revving too high but D3 was too low, sitting around 2000rpm. Planting your foot would get things moving along quite quickly without having to change gears though. The hardest part I found was working out when to change down. A few times I accidently went into L rather than D3 on the change up which gave me, and the car, a bit of a shock. It is going to take some time to work this unique gearbox out. I just love everything about this car. It has so much character.

When my boys got home from soccer training they were so excited to see the car and we went for a spin. You couldn't wipe the smiles of their faces (or mine either for that matter). These cars just do that. They make you happy.

The car is tucked away in the garage and I have only been out there five times since I have been home. I will take some more photos tomorrow and post them up.

image_zpsb8bc617a.jpg

I would like to say a huge thank to Peter for selling me the car and being fantastic to deal with, Simon & Sarah @ Autoworks for being so patient with all of my silly questions, Amanda for not buying the car last year!, Doish & Caver for coming along to countless test drives as my wingmen and everyone on this forum for your support and the community that we have. I would like to apologise in advance for the many stupid questions that will no doubt come as a result of me having this wonderful car. Last, and most importantly of all, a huge thank you to my wife (she won't read this but it has to be said!) for pretending to support me with my Porsche addiction!. More pictures to follow.

Archived