• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to meet an enthusiast. It's better to meet a true gentleman and that's what Stephen is.

I was a little sad closing the shed up yesterday knowing the old gal wouldn't be back. Not as sad as flicking through that file of receipts with you, Stephen! LOL

Couldn't imagine anyone to take better care of her. Really happy that you're happy. Enjoy!

"Did you sleep"

In the car? No, but I did think about it! I did however check the garage several times and sit in the car a few times. I have to work today so the wash will have to happen tomorrow but at least I can drive it. Might need to take the long way around to work!

Yep now I recognise it, saw it Thursday at Simon's shop, nice. Just wished I had a closer look.

You so deserve this car Steve and I am so glad for you that you finally picked one up, I think everyone that has followed your story would have to agree.

that looks really good! glad to see you finally in a 911 (and a sporto at that)

I find with with gears:

L is good up to about 70-90km/h (so long as you can deal with the noise at about 5000-6000RPM lol)

D2 is good for 60-100km/h (but will go on to a rather high figure)

D3 is good for cruising on the highway, I drop down to D2 to overtake at around 90-100km/h

with downshift into L I normally do that under 50km/h

did you get the drivers manual with it? it tells you recommended RPM for gear shifts

Congrats Steve, she looks great. Sorry been slow in giving you a pat on the back. Been off the IPad optusnet in Tassy for a couple of days.

Be great that you will be in Canberra in the new family addition.

I'm envious.

that looks really good! glad to see you finally in a 911 (and a sporto at that)

I find with with gears:

L is good up to about 70-90km/h (so long as you can deal with the noise at about 5000-6000RPM lol)

D2 is good for 60-100km/h (but will go on to a rather high figure)

D3 is good for cruising on the highway, I drop down to D2 to overtake at around 90-100km/h

with downshift into L I normally do that under 50km/h

did you get the drivers manual with it? it tells you recommended RPM for gear shifts

Thanks Russ. Remember I am a bloke. Read the manual? Nah just try it and see what happens, then if it doesn't work go back to the manual. :D You are right about the noise but this isn't such a bad thing to listen to! Fortuantely I did get an owners manual so will go back and have a read which is what I should have done in the first place but was impatient. Thanks for the information. I will need to perfect my driving style.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I ran out of my daily quota of 'likes'

Today was the day to finally give the car a good clean and once over. As the paint is a very average in areas I gave it a careful clean, then clay and wax. I think it came up pretty good.

image_zps806196e8.jpg

image_zps052a21de.jpg

image_zpsd49440c6.jpg

image_zpsa8d4674c.jpg

I had to be very careful with the paint on the drivers door as it is peeling off in places. I am taking it to a repair guy I know tomorrow to get an idea of costs to fix it up and some other areas.

I think the best way to know your car is to wash and clean it. You really get to know the good and bad parts. I have started my 'to do' list already and there are lots of little things which can be done over time. I took my parents inlaw and my wife for a drive today. They loved it. The kids want me to drop them off to school tomorrow in it! This car really does put a smile on your dial! :D

Oh Boy I'm behind in my forum browsing! This is super news Steve, I'm really happy for you as I can imagine how you must be feeling after such a patient wait. Congratulations. It looks like she responded well to some detailing as well :D

• 2 months later...

Hey Steve,

I was thinking today I haven't seen an update from you on how you're enjoying Porsche ownership. Did I miss it?

I hope your enjoying the old girl and hope to catch up on and SMT sometime soon.

Hey Ben,

I still can't believe that I have one. I usually drive it a couple of times a week to work and over the weekend when I can. I have never enjoyed driving too and from work so much!

I love everything about this car from the sound of starting her up, hard acceleration or just cruising along with the sunroof open. It has such character and is nothing like I have ever owned. My wife followed me up to the Blue Mountains the other week and I had the boys in the car with me. She said it was amazing just how many people stare at the car, probably because you don't see too many around. I have been out on a some drives around the local countryside with Caver and have fixed a few cosmetic bits and pieces in the interior. (Just working on the door pockets at the moment). I have never done much with cars before in terms of fixing things so it is great that I can have a car I am able to give things a go on. I'm sure everyone would agree that fixing something on your car, no matter how small, gives you a real sense of achievement and a buzz.

There are a number of more major things which need doing such as the headliner, leak in the windscreen and the paint but nothing than can't wait and be done over time. Normally I want to get in and fix everything at once but are happy to simply enjoy it for the moment.

Put simply this has been one of the best purchases I have ever made and should have done it years ago.

I can't make the next SMT that has been organised up your way but look forward to catching up soon as well.

Cheers

Steve

Archived