Polishes and Waxes: What brand do you use?

Chris-p

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over  the last two weekends I have done the 993 which wasn`t too bad , my 2003 audi that felt like sandpaper and my wife's 2005 chrysler that had only ever been washed. all three have come up like someone that knew what they were doing had professionally detailed them. the paint on all three feel and look like glass. I used two chinese clay bars, two bottles of magiuars quick detailer and maguiras NXT tech wax.

Hi Steve,

So you just spray with quick detailer (panel at a time?) rub over with the clay bar (turning/ kneading to keep it clean)

and then wax the car. Is it that easy or am I missing something..

cheers

John

that`s pretty well exactly what you do, it becomes self evident as you get into it

• 1 month later...

I just bought some stuff off carecareproducts.com.au  and a few clay bars from the ebay store above!

I got buckets and a dirt guard, new shampoo for the beastie, wax applicator, wheel and rim cleaner + picked up 2 micro fibre dying towels  phew

I still have many Meguiars products, so I'll chew through those and then try out some more fancy waxes etc

• 4 months later...

Now that I have my car and a new found interest, dreams, in car shampoo, clay and waxes, I am reading this eagerly. Anyone got any updates?

Zero affiliation, but I was lucky enough to have a look through Bowden's car collection the other day, and then a chat with Dan and

David.

Bowdens own is developed here in oz with aussie chemists, it has zero salt, zero abrasives etc, and on face value seems like a good product. After I chew through my meguires stuff I'll give it a go. Apparently if you go to their website they will send out a free sample.

As I said nothing in this for me..............

I got some of these and they are 4 or 5 times bigger than the maguiars clay bar that comes in the clay bar kit and IMHO they worked better. I used them with the maguiars quick detailer and bloody hell the car is as soooooooooooothe as. If you haven`t used a clay bar its a lot like giving your paint a good scrub without hurting it 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290839287094?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2723wt_939

Good find. Just bought a couple. Lets hope they do not scratch...

I have recently got hold of some "Juice" swirl remover.

I just pulled the rear hatch lock out and replaced the rubber seal that surrounds the lock. Prior to installing the new seal I used kitten no.2 cutting compound to remove a lot of the gouges and pit marks in the paint that were caused by prior owners keys. 

So after the cutting compound to restore the shine I used the Juice swirl remover with my buffing machine and lambswool buff.

WOW.

What a great finish, it is lustrous and has a wet look and I cant wait to do some more of the car. I will just put a Meguires wax straight on top of this to seal it.

So what's the current recommendation for a car wash?

Autoglym ?

Give this stuff a go, called autobrite snowfoam. Check out the YouTube video at bottom of link.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/autobrite/ab_snow_foam_lance

Heres some more how to info:

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au

Info from a detailing clinic some Melb members attended a month or so ago.

I would recommend getting them both, eBay have the lance cheaper.

Haven't had to wipe it as yet, their waffle dry cloth is fantastic too, use that with a spray wax to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I applied the HD Nitro I bought and I only wish I had of known about this stuff sooner. The gloss is awesome and was easy to apply. You start by applying part A over whole car(obviously after a wash and clay bar session) and then you apply the part B over whole car and wait at least 30 minutes. I left it for over an hour. Then you buff it off for a silky and very glossy finish. The kit comes with everything you need including a cloth to buff it off and colour coded application pads(and there is enough to do at least 2 normal cars, maybe even 3 Porsches lol). I got mine from the Aussie woody wax online store(no affiliation), which has it on sale for $55 plus shipping ATM. Worth every cent IMO. It is meant to last for 12-18 months depending on how car is stored. No need to wax I'm told but my mates who use it, still wax after a few weeks(to let it set up) to help with water beading. 

• 2 years later...

If you have old paint (no clear coat) , read page 1 and see if you have any energy left for the process yourself! Very good info , but I don't have enough hours in the day!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

I moved over to Wolfgang Fusion wax for a concours last year and found the ease of use and finish nothing short of awesome.  Very exe but would last your lifetime and a free refill if and when you ever finish the tub (assuming you still have the receipt).

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/waxes/products/wolfgang-fuzion-wax?variant=641815345

But you've got a modern paint finish? They are easy to maintain.

But you've got a modern paint finish? They are easy to maintain.

I meant more that I've used it over the years on different cars. Not specifically my current 911. Although this car will be undergoing a light correction and wax when she arrives home in a few months. Wolfgang will be the stuff I use...

My experience with clear coated cars is that just about anything works , after a good claying. "Antique" single coat finishes become thinner over time and preservation is the tricky part. Repainting is 'easy',  though not always easy to justify.

Lads at Rennsport I tried code polish I think it is the best I've used. .. since then I've bought a code clay mit . It clay bars up to 50 cars and is a snack to use best I've seen so far 

Clayed 3 cars and cunuba waxed in one day. 

Good staying power too. Daily Car still gleams after all that bad weather we had in Sydney last week. 

Highly recommended. 

Hughesy 

Archived