How much love do you give to your car?

Guest Harold

Guest Harold

I m led to believe I have been reported to the RSPCP that is the royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Porsches. As I think about it, I bought my 991S in June of last year and:

1. It has only been washed twice.

2. It has travelled a total of 3,800 kms.

3. It has never been cleaned inside

4. It is sitting in the garage covered in dust and probably has a flat battery.

I am guessing I might be in the minority so was wondering how much love do you lavish on your P car or, are you like me and think "she'll be right, if it doesn't like it it will say something"?

Harold,

You're definately going to get sent to P purgatory, that's a disgrace! My 991S is 15 months old & has 19,977klms on it & it's not my DD. Maybe you should start a PFA philanthropic project & loan it to PFA members so it can get some use!

it gets it's oil changed every couple of months depending how much i use it, or after every trackday.

cleaned once a fortnight, again, depending how much i'm using it.

if something is broken i fix it, if i can't fix it, i pay don lots of money to fix it.

in return, i have no problem driving it 3000+km's several times a year for road trips, take it on track, sunday morning runs.. gotta burn the condensation out of the oil :D

Harold, no problem, when I come and drive it for you,

a, it will keep the battery charged,

b, I will clean the inside for you,

c, keep a few kms ticking over on the speedo,

d, remove the bugs and road grime after use.

:lol:

Currently....zero. Its in my garage at home under a cover with a trickle charger on. And its like that for another 6 months.

I think that my car has pretty much lived her whole life like this. I bought her from the original owner at 6 years old with 11,900km on it. He had 11 other cars and she was the cheapest car he had at the time. He only sold it to make way for a parking space forhis new MP4-12.

Guest Harold

Ever noticed how the web site time of posting is EST instead of day light saving time. It is a bit like back to the future or is that forward to the past? Now I am confused.

What on earth do people who do not lavish time and attention on their Porsches do with their time?

Not the hobbies that Clarkson refers to?

I just spent an evening playing with a shark. Old sharks get bitey if unloved.

I will take a number in the queue to wash / vacuum / drive your car - the least I can do.

As for me, not as obsessive as I have been with previous cars - I have managed to restrict myself to

- clay bars

- polish

- wax

- cleaning the soft top

- treating the leader interior

- trying to polish the tail pipes / exhaust

- pressure washing the underside

- scrubbing the wheels (taking them off and cleaning the inside is the next task)

So far I have resisted the urge to get under the car with a toothbrush.

Geeez....I dunno about you guys....I bought my car to drive it....!  I've owned her for 21 months now and done 20,000 kms.  And it's NOT a daily driver either.  She gets all the pampering too, clay, machine polish, sealant, wheels off cleaning, lives in an underground garage.  Really now, did you buy it to look at it or to experience it???

oil change every 5000

if something breaks I fix it

I gradually go through the car and fix the bigger projects

gets washed 2 times a month and sits in a garage most of the time i'm not driving it

It bugs me if it's dirty and sitting in there!

I wash and vacuum mine after almost every drive. She lives in a lock up garage inside a carcoon to keep the dust off and the air moving. The carcoon has a battery charger built in which in the event of a power failure keeps the carcoon inflated and air flowing by running off the car battery.

She doesn't get driven on wet roads and only travels at about 5km per hour when/if off the bitumen.

Harold don't feel rejected as it is your car to use as you please, when you please, and how you please, as there is no right or wrong way to own a Porsche, but you did ask ;)

Caver, I like to do both but others get to see her when I'm driving her but I only get to see her when I'm not driving her. Any excuse for a drive but be honest Caver, you look back too, when ever you park her, don't you ? Sometimes I can just pull up a chair, enjoy a cold one and gawk at her in amazement that she is actually mine, and enjoy her beauty but only if she is clean and shiny :)

Geeez....I dunno about you guys....I bought my car to drive it....!  I've owned her for 21 months now and done 20,000 kms.

You want to get out more Caver -

I bought my car to drive it.            20 months now and done 24,000 kms !!!!!

Geeez....I dunno about you guys....I bought my car to drive it....!  I've owned her for 21 months now and done 20,000 kms.

You want to get out more Caver -

I bought my car to drive it.            20 months now and done 24,000 kms !!!!!

I'm with you on this Mark.

I've done over 20,000 kms in two years and have enjoyed each one of them.

I can count the vacuums on one hand and its in desperate need of a polish, but mechanically it gets everything it needs and more!!!

Hopefully I get more love than I give.

Archived