The Benz Appreciation Thread

96 535 - must be last of e34 or very early e39?

my other car is an e39 535...family wagon is e39 528

Benzes...done more riding than driving.  Loooong accelerator throws and solid ride, not as lively as BMWs in the main.  Always liked Benz interiors.   A hidden gem amongst benzes is the 190e, which despite being a bit cramped inside has a fantastic ride and turning circle - but lacks power.  Awesome mini-s-class interior though.

i drive a lot of new stuff as rentals....for the most part I find them dissapointing.  Ironically, I had a Kia which was e-type like in size and looks, and it drove very well.  I could tell it would fall apart after a couple of years though.

I've driven multiple subarus and disliked each and every one of them.  All have jiggly rides and feel sloppy to me.  The worst rental car of recent times was a Camry sports model which combined noisy engine, poor visibility and crashing, bouncy ride with bland looks and voltage-inducing staticy surfaces inside.

we can start a BMW appreciation thread!

i don't think anyone appreciates Audi - tolerates them is more like it.

E39 - I sold the E30 because I needed something a little newer and larger for country driving at the time.  I got it cheap and have been very happy.  It's definitely the poor cousin in comparison to the 540, but for what I need it for now, which driving to work and parking on the street, it's perfect. 

Back Benz, I quite like the C43,  and if I had the cash E55, E63 or even a ML63!

Ha I don't think the 535 is the poor cousin at all!  Sure, in the acceleration stakes it gives it away, but it's got the v8 noise but better fuel consumption.  They are quite rare, you don't see too many around, especially a 96.  We'll have to take it to the BMW appreciation thread.

I've wanted one of these since 1968 ; now I have scratched that itch! Adam has passed this on to the next caring owner and I hope to own it "indefinitiely".

He did two charity rallies in this so I can say it has "race provenance" , after a fashion. It also has wedding provenance  and will serve again at my son's nuptials in January.

These were the cars Porsche owners bought when the need for a proper rear seat became apparent. The build quality and engineering are not surprisingly as solid and innovative as Porsche. And you can get at least 5 bodies in the boot B)

mb1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been noticing and admiring quite a few of these A45's getting around.  After seeing another today and thinking they're a cute little run around, I thought i'd look them up and see what there worth and what kind of features they come with.  Of course the first feature I look at is how much power it has.  Well.., the words that came out of my mouth were f**k me!!

265kw and 450 torques.. I'm gob smacked.  Cute little run around.  These things have more power and torque than most HSV Commodores and would scare a few P's as well.  They're insane, but mind you they're not cheap either.. 

1. 202678142.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi
  2. 202678159.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi
  33. 202678164.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi
Prev
Next

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a bit obsessed the past month coming to grips with the '67 250S.

The past week was spent replacing the head gasket. There was an external leak  but no oil-water mix , and as it happens the gasket was intact. But whoever was in there last was a bit of a cowboy. 

Anyway , new gasket , new bolts , new water pump (old one had worn vanes but no other evidence of failing) and a surgical approach to everything along the way. These jobs always take twice as long as you budget for,  but the mantra do-it-properly-once holds. Took her for the factory 13 mile run then retorqued the head bolts.

Luckily the head wasn't warped and the valve train doesn't need attention.

There are no pics of me straddling the engine bay lifting the head in and out holding the camshaft. I roped my son's fiancee in to thread the timing chain through the head ; earn her keep given it will be their wedding car in January!

IMG_5489.jpg

Next job will be a reasonably involved rear suspension refresh. But first , I need a drink.

• 2 weeks later...

68 300SEL 6.3litre at Shannons auction tonight.

Hmmmm   I wish. 

You know these are the world's 2nd worst moneypits? After a MB 600...

An interesting - and popular - option was the Hydrak automatic clutch that gave two pedal control whilst retaining the four-speed manual gearbox, operated by pressure on the gearstick and a vacuum servo and torque converter controlling a normal clutch. 

I love the history of cars almost as much as I love the actual things!

https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/19123/

Wyman said: "I had the very first Mercedes that featured blacked-out windows. Everyone was getting black windows Mick Jagger and Brian Jones did in their Minis. Mercedes had never done black windows though, so I had to contribute to the research on how to make them. It cost me about £350. Then of course, I got stopped all the time. The police usually just wanted to see who was in it." However, in 1997 the vehicle was subject to restoration, meaning the original tinted windows are no longer in place.

"From 1966 to 1969 I used the car to travel around London and to Olympic Studios where we were recording Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed. When we weren't in the studio or touring I drove it round England with my camera, taking photos.

He sold the car and decades later tracked it down , fully restored it and kept using it.

But he's 79 :o and old cars and old guys don't seem to mix. 2 of mine were bought from guys too creaky to get into them.

The take home lesson? Don't leave it 'til your retirement years to scratch the classic car itch.

After almost a week spent on the road, we’ve no doubt that AMG has succeeded in building a sports car that is more than a match for the fabled Porsche 911 GTS

So with its front engined thundering V8 it's essentially a Porsche 928 in Merc clothing ;) It would be a tall order for Porsche to take it on , esp now with the move to turboed cars.