The Benz Appreciation Thread

I have had 2 MB 450s -  an 450SEL & a 450SL. Both were capable cars, reliable and quite easy to fix for a DIY person.

A few years ago I was getting an old guy to fix up a vintage Matchless bike engine & in his shed I saw what I thought was a classic 190 Mercedes.

But it was a 2 door, which I hadnt seen before, turns out it was an 170 (not 190) - ex nazi Afrika Korp radio car captured outside Egypt by Aussie troops in 1943?? It was bought back here repainted & converted to RHD. The elderly owner had bought it off a couple of uni students in Carlton in the mid 1960s. Everybody had forgotten its 'history' & it was just an old cheap car. Saddly he didnt want to part with it - I would have loved to paint it in its original Afrika colours. Australia does have a lot of interesting old cars. (Photo from Google!)

mb170afrikakorp.jpg

keep in contact...one day the old guy will have no use for it.  An irreplaceable part of history.

Another one! Geez, where are you going to hide that!! You have collected the same amount that I used to have.... :o

Is this one a 250 as well?

Yes a 250S. The driver door should be cut and paste as the one on the grey one has quite a bit of rust. Some other bits and pieces which may be of use , plus the engine runs (just like the grey one , runs and stops!). But it sounded OK.

No idea where to put it. Now there is no cure I don't overthink these things,  and it's amazing how a big green tarp hides them amongst the trees.

Wow another 250S! Sounds like a good buy

Lucky you have a bit of space to "hide" them :)

What did I start.... :ph34r:

Well chasing down rare internet parts + postage adds up quickly...it was a no brainer , even if there are others hiding in barns and paddocks - old, cars find me,  not the other way around! You didn't start the fire but you fanned the flames :)

Love the red interior :)

To be a little picky, they should know that it is not a W108 but a W111...

You could buy a lot of 250 S's for that one coupe! These things are climbing in price like the other fine German cars.......

I know they are the one that attracts the high price and probably lots of lust, but I prefer the lines of the sedans (w108/ w109)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Tazzie, pretty similar to your now 250S! http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car18.html

Pretty high price and I am sure that there is no such thing as a 1968 250 S.....  (65 - 67)

I like these old mercs. Maybe my next car.  The only thing I dont like is the way the wheel arches sweep backwards. Makes it look like there's not enough tyre.

I like these old mercs. Maybe my next car.  The only thing I dont like is the way the wheel arches sweep backwards. Makes it look like there's not enough tyre.

The sweptedbackedness was a careful styling feature for the times , so best to not apply modern aesthetics! Look at the balloons on a Ferrari Daytona as a similar though opposite effect. One thing , if you mess with tyres and suspension height on these old Mercs you will ruin handling. Which if you're chasing the goodies in a movie is something you don't want.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this today. Loved the matte paint. Somehow I think the plate isn't relevant to the owner though 

Probably owned by a tradie with an unexplained fortune. 

It reminds me , the word bankrupt is of interesting derivation:

"The word bancus means table or bench and ruptus means broken. In the early 1800’s people used to come together in common areas such as the market place.  The open air markets were the  original “green” mall with natural lighting and air conditioning.   Merchants would set up their businesses either on tables or benches throughout these common areas so that shoppers could purchase the goods or services.

When the merchant could no longer afford to stay in business his table/bench was broken to symbolize that he was no longer welcome do business with the other merchants.  It was not uncommon for merchants to operate off a line of credit and your word of honor.  However, when the debt would carry over too long, the suppliers would cut the merchant off until the debt was paid in full.  The merchant in those times could either pay his debt in trade, money or work off his debt.  Either way if the merchant wanted to sell his wares again he would have to pay his debt.

The term bankruptcy combines bancus and ruptus signifying that your bench is broken and you no are no longer able to conduct business."

Saw this today. Loved the matte paint. Somehow I think the plate isn't relevant to the owner though 

2016-03-27%2022.47.40.jpg

I think that car is or was owned by the owner of Royal Car Wash on West Terrace. They do vinyl wraps as well and this one was a bit of a test buggy I believe. Looks pretty cool.

I took delivery of my A45 AMG a few weeks ago, almost done with the strict run in procedure but enjoying it thus far. Makes a nice daily with just enough roughness around the edges to keep things interesting.

IMG_2701_zps1wu1onrw.jpg

IMG_4850_zpsyc1iou8a.jpg

Edited by spiller