If You Couldn't Have an Old Porsche, What Would You Have?

Peter M

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, can you ever be happy in a FWD car?

Haven't been on here for a while but i'll respond with a resounding hell yes!  And being FWD doesn't make it less of a drivers car, it just needs to be driven differently.

I don't see much difference between driving FWD and AWD since both involve playing with weight transfer to arrest understeer.  It's a game of carrying more speed into a corner and trailbraking more heavily than you would in a RWD car so you rotate the car by letting the unweighted rear tyres slide a bit.  If you get it right it feels really nice and is downright addictive.

My commute car is a 6R Polo GTI.  Once I got the woeful stock rubber off it and put proper tyres on it it became a heap of fun to drive.  I still enjoy it after 2 years & 80K kms.

So, yes, I can be happy in a FWD car.

True, and without the jap-spec mirrors

image001_5.jpg

Hang on, my last 'weekender' was an RX3 coupe with the Jap spec mirrors! With the Bridgeport engine idling at 2,000rpm. Thought the mirrors suited the car, although mine had Watanabe wheels and wasn't pretending to be stock.

Can't attach a pic though....

Hang on, my last 'weekender' was an RX3 coupe with the Jap spec mirrors! With the Bridgeport engine idling at 2,000rpm. Thought the mirrors suited the car, although mine had Watanabe wheels and wasn't pretending to be stock.

Can't attach a pic though....

Never driven a bridgeport.  Are they difficult to drive?  Seems like they don't have any power under 5,000 rpm

But you just can't go past a brap brap brap idle to make everyone wonder what on earth that noisy car is.

Ah, rotaries.  Addictive and maddeningly frustrating in equal measures.  Like a beautiful but temperamental girlfriend who is, err, skilled in the marital arts, but has a tendency to vomit on your couch when your parents visit.

Bridgeport not the most practical thing to drive. No torque so you have to rev the tits off it but it's worth it for the 9000rpm top end rush. They drink like a drunken sailor though. Here's my old Dastun 1600 13B Bridgeport track car. Love the sound it makes and it was cheap and a giant killer (faster tha many a more expensive car which made it great fun).

Used to travel to selectmaz in Epping for dyno tuning and it would use a full tank 45 litres Dandenong to Epping and back (maybe 100km?)

It was faster with 210hp rotary than it had been with 270hp turbo 2 litre because it was lighter, better balanced and on the power really early in the corners.

And despite the bad rap, it was super reliable because it was built properly. I reckon the bad name comes from backyarders building their own which is a ticking time bomb.

Now you've got me thinking.......20B Bridgeport in an early 911 long hood.........cashed up bogan heaven.

Never driven a bridgeport.  Are they difficult to drive?  Seems like they don't have any power under 5,000 rpm

But you just can't go past a brap brap brap idle to make everyone wonder what on earth that noisy car is.

Ah, rotaries.  Addictive and maddeningly frustrating in equal measures.  Like a beautiful but temperamental girlfriend who is, err, skilled in the marital arts, but has a tendency to vomit on your couch when your parents visit.

I never found them hard to drive, it's just different. You just keep the revs over 3000 at all times and you're fine, sounds like a lot but when it idles at 2000, it's not much, Mine used to rev to 10,000 on the street, but as said, they drink fuel like you wouldn't believe and don't like traffic or going slow for any period of time as it fouls the plugs up. But they are so addictive, the sound, the smell, the speed of the tacho sweep, oh, and that flame you get on the overrun.

Here's my old Dastun 1600 13B Bridgeport track car.

That's some nice brappin :)

I'd prefer to just have the french involved, rather than the french and italians "working together"

We'll just get them to cater the wine and food then hey. And get the Swiss to organise it.

I'd prefer to just have the french involved, rather than the french and italians "working together"

Russ, I hear you have room in your shed for one more car.....maybe get a stacker ?

$15k for Four 1971 Citroen SM Projects

This seller is offering four 1971 Citroen SM projects that have been sitting in a warehouse for the last 10 years. Two have manual transmissions and titles. Find the lot it here on Craigslist in Detroit, Michigan for $15k.

4_different_1971_Citroen_SM_project_cars_1412935576.jpg

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/10/15/15k-for-four-1971-citroen-sm-projects/

I never found them hard to drive, it's just different. You just keep the revs over 3000 at all times and you're fine, sounds like a lot but when it idles at 2000, it's not much, Mine used to rev to 10,000 on the street, but as said, they drink fuel like you wouldn't believe and don't like traffic or going slow for any period of time as it fouls the plugs up. But they are so addictive, the sound, the smell, the speed of the tacho sweep, oh, and that flame you get on the overrun.

MMMM flameage.  My first attempt at rotary tuning was a mild port 12A in a friends Rx2.  We jetted the carbs too rich and when you turned it off, it would sit for 30 seconds, and then do a gigantic bang and shoot 3 foot flames out the exhaust.  Never worked it out - I guess there was just unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber, and if the rotor was on the overlap, I guess it built up in the exhaust until it ignited.  Was a funny party trick.   I used to love driving that thing and seeing the flames at night on the overrun, you could see the scenery light up in the rear vision mirror.

Sadly it died a thrashed rotaries life after being fitted with rally suspension and taking one too many hits while being driven hard.  Even though the engine was mild, the chuck ability and the light weight meant it was a giant killer. Combined with some rally blisters and good tyres it was unbeatable.  I started as a part-owner but my friend took over the share while I worked on my own stuff.  And another genuine rx2 formerly in original condition was parted out and the carcass carted to the scrap heap :(  

I always found the rotaries reliable in the engine department, but the rest of the car couldn't take the punishment.  Compared to the similar era toyotas, things like axles, gearboxes, tailshafts, brakes and interiors were inferior.  I guess they were trying to make them light.

Incidentally I always thought the rx2 was the pick of the bunch because it was the only one up until the rx5 with coil spring rear suspension.

Russ, I hear you have room in your shed for one more car.....maybe get a stacker ?

$15k for Four 1971 Citroen SM Projects

This seller is offering four 1971 Citroen SM projects that have been sitting in a warehouse for the last 10 years. Two have manual transmissions and titles. Find the lot it here on Craigslist in Detroit, Michigan for $15k.

4_different_1971_Citroen_SM_project_cars_1412935576.jpg

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/10/15/15k-for-four-1971-citroen-sm-projects/

That'd be one project I'd never take on - they've been sitting for 10 years and are acknowledged to already be 'projects'!

my garage isn't tall enough for a stacker (this i've actually measured lol)

Bridgeport not the most practical thing to drive. No torque so you have to rev the tits off it but it's worth it for the 9000rpm top end rush. They drink like a drunken sailor though. Here's my old Dastun 1600 13B Bridgeport track car. Love the sound it makes and it was cheap and a giant killer (faster tha many a more expensive car which made it great fun).

Used to travel to selectmaz in Epping for dyno tuning and it would use a full tank 45 litres Dandenong to Epping and back (maybe 100km?)

It was faster with 210hp rotary than it had been with 270hp turbo 2 litre because it was lighter, better balanced and on the power really early in the corners.

And despite the bad rap, it was super reliable because it was built properly. I reckon the bad name comes from backyarders building their own which is a ticking time bomb.

Now you've got me thinking.......20B Bridgeport in an early 911 long hood.........cashed up bogan heaven.

http://youtu.be/TfYlg7OPWcE

Nice...I've had the rotory bug too many years ago. Went a tame 13b street port and wished I'd gone j port.

I just googled rotorys n found a clip on utube of a 12 rotor engine. WT?

Archived