If You Couldn't Have an Old Porsche, What Would You Have?

Peter M

I find I spend a lot of time pondering about what my next car will be. Only criteria is:

• Can't be too expensive,
  • Doesn't have to be a daily driver so roof and AC are optional,
  • Got to make me smile.
Here is what I've been pondering lately:

I've loved Cobra's all my life:

It's a wonder I haven't owned a musclecar yet but worry I'd be disappointed unless it was a restorod like this one, well maybe not so flash but you get the idea:

I like this video of Tim with eyes the size of dinner plates when his burnout catches him by surprise!

What would you have? (Bonus points if you post a video!)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't quite meet the "can't be too expensive" criterion.

What's the price tag on your chitty chitty bang bang then?

You can actually get a stratos in a kit form that hopefully is in-line with the fictitious and unspecified budget.

What's the price tag on your chitty chitty bang bang then?

I already specified a special (an old truck chassis would do) and a disused aero engine ;  oh look they are all over ebay to suit any budget

The rest is just mechanical bits and pieces that most clever chaps could weld together with a  couple of chums?

RWD, plenty of grunt and as light as possible:

- Clubman fits the bill - had a 400hp/tonne Westfield, loved it, survived, not going back.

- Datsun 1600, sub 1000kg, say 220hp, 5 speed, LSD, Datsport adjustable suspension and big brakes. Keep it old school grunter on webers (none of that sr20 turbo malarkey).

- early WRX built to look like mccraes WRC car in Tarmac spec.

If Hugh gets to vote stratos then I'll have original narrow body countach. We'll meet regularly at the workshop.......

If I could only have one other car that couldn't be "too expensive" it would be a VK Group A "blue meanie" with modern underpinnings:  suspension, monster brakes, IRS, LS6 with ITBs and of course 19" Aero rims. Original Scheel interior, half cage. 

Obviously I'd have to settle for a Lynx replica, as they only built 16 of them and they are kind of valuable. :)

That's p0rn...I'll have a D-Type or Aston DBR1 please!

Archived