If You Couldn't Have an Old Porsche, What Would You Have?

Peter M

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The non supercharged ones are fairly ho hum performance wise but fine for a bit of weekend driving. I'd have one with a supercharged Honda vtec engine:

http://youtu.be/NR9mhG-FPmg

Have seen this car at several track days - S1 Exige, always one of the fastest cars on track.

:huh:

E30 M3s are actually a bit undervalued in Australia at the moment.  There are very few LHD around - they are still too new for most states to be registered.  I actually ran the numbers on one or two and for me it was a choice of 911 or M3.  I think the M3 will go to unobtanium price levels.  I nearly bought one once but got refused on finance  :( when I was younger and cash-flow poor. (not that much has changed).

So this year I looked at some again but I decided against it because I didn't want to have to explain why it was special, and it meant I would have to do some dodgy registration in another state or put it in a shed for 5 years.  At least with a P car you can drive it straight away and nobody wants an explanation on what the car is.

I wouldn't buy a converted RHD one, because it means dumping the M3-specific steering rack and putting in a 318 or 325 rack.  And they do look kind of sucky unless you get the bigger BBS wheels on them.

E30 M3s are actually a bit undervalued in Australia at the moment.  There are very few LHD around - they are still too new for most states to be registered.  I actually ran the numbers on one or two and for me it was a choice of 911 or M3.  I think the M3 will go to unobtanium price levels.  I nearly bought one once but got refused on finance  :( when I was younger and cash-flow poor. (not that much has changed).

So this year I looked at some again but I decided against it because I didn't want to have to explain why it was special, and it meant I would have to do some dodgy registration in another state or put it in a shed for 5 years.  At least with a P car you can drive it straight away and nobody wants an explanation on what the car is.

I wouldn't buy a converted RHD one, because it means dumping the M3-specific steering rack and putting in a 318 or 325 rack.  And they do look kind of sucky unless you get the bigger BBS wheels on them.

Coastr,

What makes you prefer a E30 M3 over a M36 M3?

Even a M36 M3R like this one is not unachieveable!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-M3-1995/SSE-AD-2894687/?Cr=10&sdmvc=1

The plain M36 M3's look a bargain:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/BMW-M3-1996/AGC-AD-16156360/?Cr=15&sdmvc=1

Don't get me wrong, the e36 m3 was a car I lusted after for years and years. I mean, I really, really wanted one. I still run the numbers on them, on occasion.

But the e30 has competition heritage that will never be repeated in these days of silhouette racers and control series. In Europe this car is like a gtho falcon or a Brock commodore.

It was never sold in Oz because it was only ever made LHD.

Virtually nothing oily in the car is shared with the standard 3 series. Everything was put there for homologation purposes. The s14 engine is a nuts thing - individual throttle bodies, insane rev limit - it's 2/3rds of an m1 engine. Even the box flares are there to accept race rubber.

The e36 has a special engine as well, but it was designed as a street car from the outset. And that probably makes for a better car, but from a desirability and collectibility point of view, it's like a Carrera 3.0 vs Carrera RS. You've got to have get one with the race heritage and relative rarity.

afaik i have seen it mentioned that you use a Z3 or Z4 rack or something! has the same quick rack but obviously available in rhd

Don't get me wrong, the e36 m3 was a car I lusted after for years and years. I mean, I really, really wanted one. I still run the numbers on them, on occasion.

But the e30 has competition heritage that will never be repeated in these days of silhouette racers and control series. In Europe this car is like a gtho falcon or a Brock commodore.

It was never sold in Oz because it was only ever made LHD.

Virtually nothing oily in the car is shared with the standard 3 series. Everything was put there for homologation purposes. The s14 engine is a nuts thing - individual throttle bodies, insane rev limit - it's 2/3rds of an m1 engine. Even the box flares are there to accept race rubber.

The e36 has a special engine as well, but it was designed as a street car from the outset. And that probably makes for a better car, but from a desirability and collectibility point of view, it's like a Carrera 3.0 vs Carrera RS. You've got to have get one with the race heritage and relative rarity.

i agree, E36 is a lovely car but nowhere near as classic as the E30. i do actually prefer it's engine over the E30 too- bmw sixes are always sublime- but imo the car needs 50kg less and 50hp more (one day i will put the E46 motor in)

I used to date a girl that had an NSX

I highly reccomend driving one! Awesome car

If a good one with as few km's had come up before I got the 993 it would probably be in my garage right now , I was 50/50 about which to get at the time, but now glad that it was the 993

It's worth finding the episode of Jay Lenos garage where he talks about his Pantera. It's a really nice one, to, but it has been modded a fair bit just to make it reliable.

Yep, seen it.

Today's trivia: the car elvis presley shot in the desert was a pantera

2005 Lotus Elise for $48k

Seems like an awful lot of coin for that

Chris Harris gives his opinion to this vexing question:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htI3weS49cc

Nothing more pure than a clubman to drive and a factory built caterham is probably the pick of the bunch (but crazy expensive in oz) . I bought a Westfield with 2L Honda VTEC engine (240hp, 6 speed, 600kg) which was built as a demo by the importer of the Westfield kits. They are all in $30-40k range for decent ones, Even though it was "professionally" built, I had the steering column telescope out the day I bought it - thankfully it happened on a right sweeper so I speared off the left side of the road into the grass. Had it been a left bend I would have ploughed into oncoming traffic. Not a good start. Several months later, a rear rose joint snapped - I was returning from a spirited blast around red hill and it snapped as I pulled into up my driveway, rear wheel laying over at 45 degree angle.........

Fantastic cars to drive but I felt I was lucky not to have had a serious accident in it especially being so fast as well as untrustworthy. Had that rear rose joint snapped at 200+ at phillip island, I might not be here to post my thoughts!

I'd recommend a clubman as an absolute blast to drive but consider very carefully who built it and how. There are lots of shed built cars around that I wouldn't touch. My GT2 has similar performance to 100, much faster thereafter and is great to drive but not quite the same as the wind in your face brutality of the clubman. Unbeatable bang for buck IMHO.

According to the Porsche Classic brochure 996 and Boxster's are now "classic" Porkers.  That makes them  officially OLD and ineligible.

I guess I own "that car" instead of owning an old Porsche. Question answered... And it was one or the other.

Edgy,

You're not going to get out of it that easily. I thought 996's were "new" too!

If you couldn't have the old Porsche that you have, what would you want? Sub $100k, can be impractical but must definitely has to be fun.

The 911 I bought was the last one I was going to look at as I'd exausted the options in my price range,and if I hadn't bought it I had a TR6 to look at next. TR5 would have my preference but too far out my budget range.

If money were no object I wouldn't have time to be on here as I'd be driving one of my many fantasy cars:)

OK, I know what the title of this thread specifies, but I would buy a 914/4 hot rod the Type 4 engine to about 150hp,and embarrass quite

a few 911's on the next SMT. (Hey they used to be referred to as NARP (Not A Real Porsche)).

Or maybe do the same with a Karmann Ghia, although there entry point is getting up there these days.. 

Archived