If You Couldn't Have an Old Porsche, What Would You Have?

Peter M

I'd want something a bit weirder, like an ex-German army from the 80s or something.

Sounds good to me!

Can't remember the name of that site where they have plenty of ex military ones out of Europe for sale... There's some interesting ones about

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone said a RUF yet?

Or 78/9 Fez 308 GTB.

289 Body AC Cobra.

67/8 RS Camaro.

All worthy choices. According to the thread criteria Uncle , what is likely for you?

I find I spend a lot of time pondering about what my next car will be. Only criteria is:
  • Can't be too expensive,
  • Doesn't have to be a daily driver so roof and AC are optional,
  • Got to make me smile.

Or 78/9 Fez 308 GTB.

The glass 308 GTB was / is on my list. The only sticking point is the offset pedal box. If you've sat in one you'll know what I'm talking about. For a larger guy like me, doesn't make it easy to drive.

All worthy choices. According to the thread criteria Uncle , what is likely for you?

All of them at some point lol. A long term relationship with a car is 2 years for me.

You can also add a Unimog to the list. 

Really, can you ever be happy in a FWD car?

I've tried, and I'm just not a believer. It just feels all wrong, like you're being towed behind a horse and you have little say in proceedings.

Evidence : nobody has ever made a rear engined car that sends power just to the front wheels. Every other combination has been made, including the diabolical Audi in front of axle, front wheel drive to the Porsche, rear of axle rear wheel drive. But never mid or rear engine, front wheel drive. This is an admission by the universe of vehicular engineers that powering the front wheels is always a compromise.

Hell yes you can!

Get your suspension settings right and they can be a hoot. There's few cars that I've driven that can out corner a mildly suspension-tuned mini...

Really, can you ever be happy in a FWD car?

Megane RS 265 - they're pretty fun to drive. Still not quite as good as a sorted RWD through the corners, but not far off it.

This is my point. There are good ones around, but there always a slightly better Rwd version you'd prefer. Settling for the FWD always means accepting you are compromising the driving experience for something else,whether it is price or space.

I'm sure minis are great, their Motorsport heritage is second to none. I would always choose a RWD alternative if looking for a drivers car.

One of my favourite cars of all time is the early "70's model Ford Capri.......

The 1.6l eng doesn't compare to that of my 2.5l supercharged Porsche but when you throw a V8 in like I did you have a real weapon......

God I miss that car!

Let's just say I don't regret taking the mini to Tasmania instead of the 964...

Tit,

Imagine 20km of smooth curvy road with no Police and no other traffic, what do you choose, your 964 or your Mini?

I'd take our JCW mini.

Tit,

That's not an answer! LOL

The 964 is a great thing for many reasons. The heritage. The engineering. The smells. The noise. The design...

But it just can't match the mini on the twisty stuff. It really is the cleche' - a go kart on the street...

I might not say the same thing about, say, a cayman, though...

Really, can you ever be happy in a FWD car?.

I will take that bet with the Integra Type R. Honda engineering and reliability, precision built and designed with only one purpose in mind sycthing through corners.

My 911 is much more sophisticated, much faster and effective across a wider range of areas, but for pure viceral response through a series of switchback corners my Integra has it beat.

Archived