Gratuitous Porsche Pics

We do indeed.

Current projects include an ongoing re-commissioning of a 2.4 S, a very thorough conversion of a high quality 2.7 RS recreation from track to touring spec.

The Sales division has a 3.2 Carrera that is being built up as a 'cafe racer', with top-notch suspension upgrades, tasty body mods and interior but no mechanical mods. That car is being tackled as a showcase for what we can do.

On the other side of the scale, we handed over a full-on engine rebuild 3.2 this week that has the best of everything. Individual throttle bodies, Motec, uprated to 3.4 litres and twin sparked with Perfect Bore barrels, JE pistons and a custom dizzy to run the extra sparks. It makes really good power, but is docile as a pussy cat, starts easily, idles as smooth and quiet as a turbine but howls like a banshee and goes like a stabbed rat when called upon. And nothing external to give the game away.

Guest vas930

We do indeed.

Current projects include an ongoing re-commissioning of a 2.4 S, a very thorough conversion of a high quality 2.7 RS recreation from track to touring spec.

The Sales division has a 3.2 Carrera that is being built up as a 'cafe racer', with top-notch suspension upgrades, tasty body mods and interior but no mechanical mods. That car is being tackled as a showcase for what we can do.

On the other side of the scale, we handed over a full-on engine rebuild 3.2 this week that has the best of everything. Individual throttle bodies, Motec, uprated to 3.4 litres and twin sparked with Perfect Bore barrels, JE pistons and a custom dizzy to run the extra sparks. It makes really good power, but is docile as a pussy cat, starts easily, idles as smooth and quiet as a turbine but howls like a banshee and goes like a stabbed rat when called upon. And nothing external to give the game away.

Hell of a description, James.

Nice work. :D

James is this the one car, or are you talking about two seperate cars.

2.4 S are so rare in themselves these days.

PS beautiful duco on the red one pictured.

James is this the one car, or are you talking about two seperate cars.

2.4 S are so rare in themselves these days.

PS beautiful duco on the red one pictured.

These are two separate cars.

The 2.4S is an original (and I think original Aussie delivered car) that has been sitting idle for some time. It's all there, and is generally sound, but is in need of some TLC to bring it back to scratch.

The RS recreation is in the process of having its next steps decided. It's a LHD to RHD conversion, and has (I believe) a 'proper' 2.7 mechanical injection RS engine. Over the last few days it has had a roll cage cut out and glass removed ahead of a paint refresh, which might turn out to be a full respray, and the owner will decide on whether to go for a lightweight or touring spec for the car.

We do indeed.

what power did the 3.2 make?

what power did the 3.2 make?

I don't think that the owner has publicised the power output yet, so I guess I should be discreet.

Suffice to say that the power at the wheels comfortably exceeds the car's claimed power at the crank when new, and that this is a car that is more about the midrange than the top end power.

I don't think that the owner has publicised the power output yet, so I guess I should be discreet.

Suffice to say that the power at the wheels comfortably exceeds the car's claimed power at the crank when new, and that this is a car that is more about the midrange than the top end power.

and ballpark what would a rebuild of that nature cost?

and ballpark what would a rebuild of that nature cost?

Ballpark? Heaps!

There are however, options along the road.

For around $25k Autohaus Hamilton can re-build a 3.2 to run with better pistons, mild cams, uprated valve springs, improved exhaust system but still running the Porsche DME. This is the spec that is going into the Autohaus Hamilton Sales project car, along with sexy suspenders suspension bits.

For around $45k we can build you a twin-sparked, carb-fed 3.4 litre engine. You'll get big power, but the car won't start as easily as as the car I mentioned.

The engine that I mentioned was pretty much a 'no expense spared' rebuild, on the basis that the owner had had 25+ years of hard use, including sprinting it without ever opening the engine. Even the original Dilavar studs had lasted. The rebuild was rather considerably north of $45k.

$25k is for a lightly breathed upon 3.2, as described above.

A regular 3.2 would be a bit less, but that would be without the cams, exhaust and uprated valve springs.

One of the old saws in motorsport says that it's not about how fast you can go, it's how fast you can afford to go.

• 3 weeks later...

ahhh i was just dreaming about this particular 904 for sale at the moment: http://www.maxted-pa...ils.aspx?id=187.

fantastic. there are a some decent replicas for sale in europe also, and there was one in Melbourne about two years ago in Duttons. Anyone got some info on where that one is floating around?

Did anyone else see Ferry Porsches own 904 that was here for Targa? I saw it sitting in PCM about a month ago.

You should also check out the other cars they have for sale on that site, particularly the 356 carrera GT and 914/6 GT. My dream cars.

Yeh I've read about that 904 at Maxstead-Page, it's got great pedigree. Hopefully it was rebuilt well as "the car was split in half" :o I wonder how many zeros are in the POA.

I think the replica at Duttons got pulled off the market.

Another angle...

IMG_6520.jpg

Standing next to a silver Cayman earlier today, it occurred to me that there is something about the line of the nose/bonnet of the car that is awfully similar to the nose of the 550.

It may have been my imagination, and it may have been just the angle I was standing at, but let's face it, Porsche designers are awfully good at milking the company's design DNA, so it may have been me noticing somebody's intention.

porsche-cayman-silver-metallic.jpg

Guest Nick987

I feel they design their cars with a nod to their heritage. One of the reasons I love the look of Boxsters so much...sad they have almost flattened out the curves in the new 981 Boxster.

2013_Porsche_Boxster_--_2012_NYIAS.JPG

They are even smoother in the 987 compared to the 986.

Porsche_Boxster_S_-_Flickr_-_The_Car_Spy.jpg

986-2.jpg

The original Boxster concept was very curvy. The 986 was the curviest Boxster. Especially the rear shoulders.

Porsche_Boxster_Concept_Prototype_1992_frontleft_2010-03-12_A.JPG

2009-11-04_1993_Porsche_Boxster_Concept.jpg

Porsche_Boxster_Concept_Prototype_1992_backleft_2010-03-12_A.JPG

The curve along the top of the body is duplicated along each side if looking down at the car from above. Truly sculpted form. An artwork in steel.

And the front, yep, that's so 550 IMO.

Can I tell you how often I have wanted to take my angle grinder to the roll over bars behind the seats to give it a cleaner silhouette like the 550 and concept car?! Came close a couple of times after a few single malts, let me tell you.