Duttons visit

turboT

Yeah yeah but are they nice driving? Or have they been sitting all dried up in a garage/museum since resto? Can you test drive,  or is a $1000 deposit required?

don't know. All activity was in the cafe. No obvious salesmen in sight. All pretty tightly parked. I would imagine a test drive would be a long wait. Interesting to see the Rs cars up close and personal. The 964 was so similar to my 4 you had really look for differences. The old girl was a tough one. Looked good, but so familiar in that every hot rod is mimicking its style. I guess you can own a Rolex and be happy that a least you know it's real, but their are a shit load of fakes out there. The real madness of super expensive early Porsche car ownership is the tiny differences between top and lesser models. 

The real madness of super expensive early Porsche car ownership is the tiny differences between top and lesser models. 

Chuck in a celebrity owner and you're laughing all the way to the bank. I'd pay a little extra for Mr Rohrl's signature , but I'd deduct for S. Warne's arse print.

Sorry to hijack - went to the classic throttle shop in Sydney for the first time ever Wednesday late afternoon with a work mate.  Probably in Sydney 30 times a year but have never been. I think Duttons puts it to shame certainly from the standard of cars. 

Very interesting building, nice space if not a little grotty.  Red 930 left hooker looked very nice. A couple of newer 997s that looked OK. Most cars seem over priced. Some nice Ferraris. I was curious to look at the worlds most expensive 928 S4 - looked straight but the bumper had been painted and the paint needed a proper polish . Regardless, a nice 928 but I can't see almost $70k in it. Makes mine a $60k car......

The staff ignored us, just sat on the phone and never walked up. We were in suits not like we stood around in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. 

To be honest I wasn't impressed with many of the cars.  They had a 240z that had been repainted I assume just a few weeks ago. I think it was painted in someone's back yard so amateur that I'm a little shocked they would have it on the floor.  Major surface rust on the bonnet was painted over. I get and respect rusty barn finds but not what I saw. Just makes me think what the other cars might be hiding. 

Pass...

Lack of service seems to be a common trait. I agree Duttons is a much bigger and more impressive outfit. Counted at least 3 Lamborghini's and a whole lot of other metal. Rumour is that they are now in someway linked. Probably both have an extensive wealthy list of clients to sell to and drop ins like us are just treated like tourists

I recently advertised a Golf GTi for sale on Carsales and one of the calls (amongst numerous ignored text messages) was from someone at a wholesale buying group - in discussion it came out that Duttons are part of the conglomerate (I assume CTS are too).  She rang to low ball me on the price, claimed to have a buyer at $5k less than my $28k asking price (despite listing at bottom of the market).  As it turns out, things changed and we kept the car.  Dutton appear to be an exclusive high end dealer but in reality it seems they are part of a vulture call centre trawling the market for stock.  Nice warehouse and contents though.......

Dutton's are friendly enough. They do come and say hello and gauge your interest. They're more than happy to have people wander around and are good with dads with kids who are there just to dream.

I just think they should put prices on their cars!

Duttons are part of the conglomerate (I assume CTS are too).  She rang to low ball me on the price, claimed to have a buyer.  As it turns out, things changed and we kept the car. 

Sounds familiar!

After 'liking' CTS' page on Facebook, I was contacted by a woman who asked if my 912 was for sale, and that she had buyers waiting

Looks very similar to San Francisco sports cars which I like to visit when I'm there.  Got that whole warehouse-y feeling and period artwork about the place. 

Mind you SFSC is plonked in the middle of mega-money so standard of cars is a wee bit higher.

Have tended to avoid walking into establishments like this in the past. Not entirely comfortable with the idea of looking at cars in any show room that I have no intention (or means) to purchase. 95% of their walk ins would be tyre kickers you'd think so they're probably used to it!

Have tended to avoid walking into establishments like this in the past. Not entirely comfortable with the idea of looking at cars in any show room that I have no intention (or means) to purchase. 95% of their walk ins would be tyre kickers you'd think so they're probably used to it!

nothing wrong with a bit of dreamin ;)

Archived