My Stacker

turboT

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not being a builder, nor do I know the specs, but that gutter doesnt look deep enough to me. Even my old gutter is 200mm deep! No leaf protection is just going to have it happen again there I would say

Right on Lee ,,as a builder I always question Architects about the use of Box gutters ,,,,If there is a need to have one and no alternative available then it needs to be as big as possible and with several over flow point that allow the water to get out in the event the downpipe gets blocked otherwise you end up with water entering your living space , no one wants an unplaned water feature in there living room,,,,,I have seen them block up with all sorts of things,,,leaves and kids tennis balls being the most common ,,,,I always tell my clients to avoid them ,,,they are generally trouble ....

It just doesn't look right to me mate.

I was onsite last year replacing some robes at a very expensive home ($1million just to build the place) and after a couple of days of big rain, water backed up in the flat roof and ended up coming through 20 or so down lights. The builder got flogged with having to replace the whole ceiling and all the electricals in the roof, one wall that had started to swell up, carpets, wooden staircase (imported from Italy!) etc. It turned out that there was no fall to the box guttering and it wasn't to spec. Oops!

Mistakes happen, it's part of the building game as you know, yet there's far too much dodgy work going on at the clients expense nowadays

It just doesn't look right to me mate.

I was onsite last year replacing some robes at a very expensive home ($1million just to build the place) and after a couple of days of big rain, water backed up in the flat roof and ended up coming through 20 or so down lights. The builder got flogged with having to replace the whole ceiling and all the electricals in the roof, one wall that had started to swell up, carpets, wooden staircase (imported from Italy!) etc. It turned out that there was no fall to the box guttering and it wasn't to spec. Oops!

Mistakes happen, it's part of the building game as you know, yet there's far too much dodgy work going on at the clients expense nowadays

the so called 'experts' have walked away. Left it to the builder to fix. Big storm on Sunday...

Box gutters generally fail because the under roof flashing does not run high enough on pitched roofs above 5 degrees (ask me how i know) fixed by extending the underoof flashing by 300mm.(box gutter sides)

Box gutters generally fail because the under roof flashing does not run high enough on pitched roofs above 5 degrees (ask me how i know) fixed by extending the underoof flashing by 300mm.(box gutter sides)

BINGO

I had a sizeable box gutter in a previous Richmond property I renovated.  To the builder; "I'm s**t scared of water ingress, make the flashings 300mm higher all round" Checked that he did it before roof went over it.  8 years and never had an issue. 

Archived