Restomod Rx2

Update: Finally going to fabrication on Saturday!

Westside mufflers has been enlisted for all the fabrication work which includes intercooler & piping, oil cooler, radiator, trans cooler, engine & trans cross members, exhaust manifold & exhaust, ANDRA spec full cage, plus a number of other bits and pieces. Everything will be dummy fitted to ensure nothing fouls.  

Got carried away and bought a Garrett GTX4202R turbo with 1.01 rear, and Turbosmart 60mm ‘gate. Fuel system will be E85 compatible :D

JV what do you know about Supra boxes?  I don't know much!  I assume mine is from a Supra turbo and could handle a fair bit but I broke the gearbox at Sandown (at 8:20 on video below). I assume I've broken input shaft/gear because I still had drive in 4th gear (direct 1:1)

its in the workshop now so I'll soon have confirmation but I was surprised that it went bang. 

This is going to be a ROCKET

should be good for 9 second passes :D

JV what do you know about Supra boxes?  I don't know much!  I assume mine is from a Supra turbo and could handle a fair bit but I broke the gearbox at Sandown (at 8:20 on video below). I assume I've broken input shaft/gear because I still had drive in 4th gear (direct 1:1)

its in the workshop now so I'll soon have confirmation but I was surprised that it went bang. 

There's a few different options - the most common behind rotors is the W58 which can handle mild 13b power on the street but won't stand up to the rigours of racing for very long. Then there is the r154 which is stronger and physically larger (i.e. trans tunnel needs changing). Both are getting a bit old and hard (i.e. $) to source parts for and repair. Borg Warner T56 is becoming more popular as a result. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - Both chassis rails required quite a bit of work from the firewall forward due to rust and a bodgie repair, plus some stiffening to cope with the power. 

Work starts on the cage later this week

It's more about airflow than boost but there are plenty of drag cars running 50psi. I don't plan on running anywhere near that though...should be good for 550rwhp @ 20psi on E85.

No work on cage this week, but we did manage to source a rare Cosmo 13b-RE intake manifold which has much larger ports than the Series 7's 13b-REW

• 2 weeks later...

When I was growing up all the neighborhood hoons had rotaries, rx3's, rx2's and an rx1 all boosted. I can remember riding one of the rx3's (13B T) 

Maybe it was I was because I was used to my dad's 1750gtv or Volvo pace but I can clearly remember the WTF I am going to die feeling. To this day its one of the most memorable and scary cars I have sat shotgun in.  

Great car to restromod. However that turbo - you are clearly insane :) 

Rotaries are such great engines..  Back in the late 80's we used to do 'back yard porting' with IDA Webers, couldn't afford boost and the like. NA was the way.  My friend Hamish is a methodical mechanical genius - even back then at the age of 18.  He fluked this 12A twin dizzy port job one time.  We ran the motor 5km that way, and 5km home.  It was a lethal machine.  For the preservation of life (country roads, dodgy suspension and suspect brakes) we shook our heads and pulled the motor out that same night.  We were stupid, but not that stupid.!  Then we realised that 'there's money in them there hills' and discovered the world of 4 pot calipers, Tokico suspension and all the other good bits we could salvage from the scrapies (Volvos and VL Commonwhores)..  Went as far as developing and putting an home concucted IRS into the back of an RX4 Coupe..  The GTV never did get the 13B treatment, and the Quad rotor was well underway.  It's such a shame that teenage enthusiasm gave way to getting on with life..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The turbo looks nearly as big as the rotor motor itself!  550rwhp is pretty stout.  Mine has around 400 and is 2 seconds a lap faster than the GT2 around Phillip Island.  I know yours is a street car but it'll be wild.  You might need some new tyres...

Here's some recent in car action to keep you motivated.  I learned today that the wastegate spring is broken and the valve is knackered and stuck partly open so it's been leaking boost.  New wastegate fitted today, it should now have more boost and pull harder.......gulp?
Sandown cup day.....can't wait.