Same thing happened to me, and i had the same conversation pretty much, Shannons will never gain me as a customer. So I'm with NRMA  for $600 less a year and insured for more than what they would go to.

The one thing I would say is that there is more to an insurance company than the premium they charge. I've had experience with both Shannons and NRMA on the pointy end of things, i.e., time to make a claim. Shannons were by far the easiest people I've ever had to deal with; NRMA, not so much. In fact, NRMA will never get my business again, as I now realise how poor and second rate the repair outcome will be if they get their way. There is no corner they will not try to cut. OTOH, based on my experience with Shannons, I now have three cars insured with them. Not the cheapest premium, but at least I know if I actually need to make a claim, they will do the right thing by me.

Who are you insured with Port? 

I rang Shannons today re insurance.  Had what I like to call "a frank & open exchange of views" with the salesman who said that I could only insure my car for it's purchase price.  We discussed the matter for some time.  He eventually agreed to raise the limit a further 5k which is probably around what is worth (maybe a touch low) prior to it receiving some love.  I did say to the bloke that if someone sold me a 30k car for 10k the car is worth 30 not 10.  Old mate basically said that Shannons did not endorse profiteering from vehicle purchases.  I said that I would shop around.  Found it all a bit strange.  I have more calls to make it would seem, either that or I should have just said I paid 25k.  

Image result for cat out of bag image

The one thing I would say is that there is more to an insurance company than the premium they charge. I've had experience with both Shannons and NRMA on the pointy end of things, i.e., time to make a claim. Shannons were by far the easiest people I've ever had to deal with; NRMA, not so much. In fact, NRMA will never get my business again, as I now realise how poor and second rate the repair outcome will be if they get their way. There is no corner they will not try to cut. OTOH, based on my experience with Shannons, I now have three cars insured with them. Not the cheapest premium, but at least I know if I actually need to make a claim, they will do the right thing by me.

Absolutely smartest post I have seen. I am in the panel game and I see it every day the customer gets screwed by the insurance company trying to cut costs with there car. What people don't realise it is at the time when they need to make a claim that counts. But I hear it every day " I didn't think I would ever have to make a claim"

Absolutely smartest post I have seen. I am in the panel game and I see it every day the customer gets screwed by the insurance company trying to cut costs with there car. What people don't realise it is at the time when they need to make a claim that counts. But I hear it every day " I didn't think I would ever have to make a claim"

This is an interesting point.  I had a flea sideswipe my former car (Mazda MX5) about 12 months ago (I chased him down & got him to pull over- never hit & run the Fuzz!!).  Previous to that I had a young girl reverse into the drivers door early last year (2 days after I bought it).

I was insured with NRMA both times.  The first time (door) I had to take the car back twice due to imperfections & shoddy workmanship.  The second time (flea) I had to take the car back 4 times, finally escalating to a full blown complaint.  NRMA were "good" about getting the car fixed but the repairer -one of their "preferred repairers" was just shithouse.  I would never use a preferred NRMA repairer again.

I certainly think it is important to listen to anecdotal evidence such as vl gra provides.  Of course you could balance this with maybe having cheaper insurance over a number of years & being prepared for the hassle or to supplement it in the event of an accident.  If you've got the coin then the few hundred you may save yearly won't matter.  If you are a poor wage slave like me it may help out somewhere.  I get lots of quotes & then haggle like mad.

Image result for cat out of bag image

funny Rob.:)

This is an interesting point.  I had a flea sideswipe my former car (Mazda MX5) about 12 months ago (I chased him down & got him to pull over- never hit & run the Fuzz!!).  Previous to that I had a young girl reverse into the drivers door early last year (2 days after I bought it).

I was insured with NRMA both times.  The first time (door) I had to take the car back twice due to imperfections & shoddy workmanship.  The second time (flea) I had to take the car back 4 times, finally escalating to a full blown complaint.  NRMA were "good" about getting the car fixed but the repairer -one of their "preferred repairers" was just shithouse.  I would never use a preferred NRMA repairer again.

I certainly think it is important to listen to anecdotal evidence such as vl gra provides.  Of course you could balance this with maybe having cheaper insurance over a number of years & being prepared for the hassle or to supplement it in the event of an accident.  If you've got the coin then the few hundred you may save yearly won't matter.  If you are a poor wage slave like me it may help out somewhere.  I get lots of quotes & then haggle like mad.

funny Rob.:)

That response was just like an insurance company sideswiping the question ....

So ..... for third time this evening ..... what did you end up buying???

what did you buy???

Yes do tell.

Well gents, while the keys are not yet in my hands I bought the Greenacre 944 S2.  

I fly down to Sydney tomorrow morning to pick it up.  Saving any hitches (God forbid) I should pick it up around lunch time & head straight over to Buchanans for a full inspection & a list of make good repairs on the deferred maintenance. 

I want to acknowledge the very kind & generous help that Michel & Rob provided in assisting me to get into my first Porsche.  I am sure that they could have purchased the vehicle themselves & turned it around for a tidy little profit.  Instead they afforded me the opportunity to get into a great car that I will have fun trying to bring back to a great daily driver.  It shows a true generosity of spirit & I thank them both very much.  I might also extend a very grateful thanks to all the people who have shared their advice & good humor over the last 18mths whilst I have been haunting this forum & asking stupid questions about these great machines.  

Now I am just praying that BB doesn't find anything too horrific.  With luck I can get it on the road without too much pain & deal with the cosmetics (it is pretty tatty) in the future.

cheers,

Jason

Congrats Jason. Looking forward to seeing some pics. :)

The Buchanans will set you in the right direction!

PS - I recall from the advertisement photos that the original seats looked a little worse for wear. There are a few decent 944/911 seat pairs on Gumtree that you could consider if you don't want to reupholster the originals. 

Now I am just praying that BB doesn't find anything too horrific.  With luck I can get it on the road without too much pain & deal with the cosmetics (it is pretty tatty) in the future.

cheers,

Jason

Do you plan on doing any of the mechanical work yourself, or will you be having Buchanans do it all?

Same thing happened to me, and i had the same conversation pretty much, Shannons will never gain me as a customer. So I'm with NRMA  for $600 less a year and insured for more than what they would go to.

Yes do tell.

Like a lot of companies it depends who you get on the other end of the phone.... I insured both of my recent purchases for more than I paid for them, the ML and the 928. I simply told them that I bought them both for a very good price, was able to haggle them down and they were fine with it.

I have since doubled the insured value for my 928 having only owned it since March and I feel I could have gone for more - all with Shannons.

I would advise when trying to get higher cover prices to go into a Shannons (or any insurers) office with your car and have a chat to them, the people on the phone can be difficult sometimes.

Well done Jason, looking forward to hearing much more about this car :)

Agree. I am with Shannons and had a bad crash last year that wrote off my car. Shannons had to got to a lot of expense just to retrieve my car and then paid the agreed value figure no worries, even though it was way more than current value, I will be sticking with them!

Who are you insured with Port? 

I rang Shannons today re insurance.  Had what I like to call "a frank & open exchange of views" with the salesman who said that I could only insure my car for it's purchase price.  We discussed the matter for some time.  He eventually agreed to raise the limit a further 5k which is probably around what is worth (maybe a touch low) prior to it receiving some love.  I did say to the bloke that if someone sold me a 30k car for 10k the car is worth 30 not 10.  Old mate basically said that Shannons did not endorse profiteering from vehicle purchases.  I said that I would shop around.  Found it all a bit strange.  I have more calls to make it would seem, either that or I should have just said I paid 25k.  

Hi Jason, I am insured with Lumleys, had to go through the same thing with the 993, I had it insured for what I had paid for it, then after a club run conversation realized that I needed to address the insured value on the 993. I rang Lumleys, & the guy on the phone looked at my contract, & promptly said no that needs to be addressed.

He asked me to take a photo of front/back/Left side/Right side/engine bay & compliance plate, within 24hr they had doubled the value they would insure the car for, & it did not cost much more. 

I can't believe the "rare" Qld Harlequin has come up as sold on Carsales.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Look heres another one. Correction, this is the car in question for sale in England last year, or is it the second of these cars, apparently there are 2.

http://flussigmagazine.com/17/post/2015/01/1984-porsche-944-harlequin-2995-usd4530.html

Picture

Picture