are your numbers matching?

turboT

I learnt when buying my US car that engine numbers don't always match the chassis number. They should be close, but rarely the same. 

Doing a bit of background research today on My aussi car I discovered it was first sold by Porsche Centre Melbourne, so gave them a call to see what info I could get out of them. Who should answer the phone but the infamous 'HARRY.' Nice chat, nice guy and gave me all he had on the car. Turns out I have a matching number engine and chassis. The man himself said he has rarely seen it.

Anyone else?

WP0ZZZ93ZFS000133_zpsl9p0by8z.jpg

would have been hamiltons of south yarra,not porsche centre melbourne

they still answer the same phone ;) 

My two matching numbers cars have very different chassis and engine numbers.

And for USA cars, the VIN and chassis numbers are different.

My US cars engine and chassis are 28 and 31 respectively so not far out. The way it was explained to me is that both are being made at the same/similar times but one is not allocated to the other. Chassis Dude just picks the next engine inline. Surprised they are out by alot though GUT

ps, you have a short options list, I hope that doesn't affect what you hope to get for it!

must be RS spec ;) 

555 555 555 , plenty of cars remain matched and if you got identical numbering  then really good feng shui. But for most don't expect the two numbers to be cutesy twins. 

.. it's when the production number on some cars don't correlate with vin, that causes a bit of heartburn. Actually a whole world of pain and hurt.  

My daily grind is non matching, however I know the case is still probably sitting in the shit pile at BWA. But what I got is a top to bottom rebuilt motor... And tartan seats. 

Cutesy certificates are nice enough (bearing in mind that the supplied certificate merely contains information supplied by the owner i.e not  independently verified) , however I would suggest to anyone spending serious coin on a car to check the production number under the knee pad on the dash.

This will be on record with Porsche who will then let you know if it is correct for the Chassis number.

Due diligence.

** I would be less worried about this on a car with a solid history, including delivery books and supporting documents, however plenty have been showing up with no history.

No.  Definitely not. Catastrophic engine failure back in 2004 put an end to that one..!

But hey, a fresh(er) engine with IMS solution isn't a bad alternative.. 

Cutesy certificates are nice enough (bearing in mind that the supplied certificate merely contains information supplied by the owner i.e not  independently verified) , however I would suggest to anyone spending serious coin on a car to check the production number under the knee pad on the dash.

This will be on record with Porsche who will then let you know if it is correct for the Chassis number.

Due diligence.

** I would be less worried about this on a car with a solid history, including delivery books and supporting documents, however plenty have been showing up with no history.

Very good advice.  It's the first thing I check when buying cars where that coding was used. The chassis "production" number under the dash pad won't line up with anything.  It will verify if the shell is produced in the claimed year and is on the body before a chassis number is assigned. That same number also sometimes appear in pencil under the dash pad above the steering wheel and then in later cars on the door frames.

Also, Porsche will find it hard if not impossible in some cases to match the production number to the chassis number.

Trust me, I had to go through the gut wrenching process when I nearly bought a 74 Carrera MFI for big money and then got a tip from someone to check the under dash number and it came up with the "dreaded" "0" as the first number of the code which denotes as replacement body. The number is seared into me. 007xxxx (I put the x's in as the car is still in circulation and I established that it was a factory supplied shell after owner one had a Big One).

I did actually buy the car in the end for a more modest sum and did some nice things to it and actually made a nice sum.  I did tell the buyer the story and to my delight he shrugged it off and said that if it's a factory supplied replacement, then it's still pure Porsche.  

The first number is either a 1 for factory production or 0 if replacement shell. Second number is either 0 for coupe or 1 for Targa.  Third number is the last digit of the year the shell. Was produced.  "4" would make it a 1974 production shell.  The last 4 digits are assigned to the shell number (1-9999). Quaint that they thought that there'd be no more than 9999 shells for any one year ...

I'm a nerd.

I learnt when buying my US car that engine numbers don't always match the chassis number. They should be close, but rarely the same. 

Doing a bit of background research today on My aussi car I discovered it was first sold by Porsche Centre Melbourne, so gave them a call to see what info I could get out of them. Who should answer the phone but the infamous 'HARRY.' Nice chat, nice guy and gave me all he had on the car. Turns out I have a matching number engine and chassis. The man himself said he has rarely seen it.

So the rug matches the drapes!  Nice ;) 

Mine is all matching numbers

sounds like we are the only ones mate. Clearly that lot ^^^ are driving around in rat rods ;) . Must be a large engine grave yard out there somewhere. Probably in SA with all those bodies in barrels no doubt

Archived