Converting LHD to RHD

Spannerhead

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldnt have a clue mate. He's at Goodwood at the moment, so I can't find out

This be it. It had a whale tail etc, and he's mucked around with it a bit to turn it into a track based hot rod thingy, and possibly for sale in the future. I'd love the wheels for mine!

Probably not the same car, as it has clear side marker lights

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

The mirrors are still in left hand drive position as it was when sold.  I think I still have the VIN somewhere, from when I did a history check.

I haven't checked every circuit used, but the garages are on the right side of the car in every case i can think of. I can only think of a handful of circuits that don't have the pits on that side and they don't host F1 or Endurance. Back in the day of gear sticks, they used to have the seat on the right and the gear stick to the right of that - sitting on the right and driving like a leftie!

isn't the SMP pits on the left side side of the car? 

I have both the LHD and a RHD and find the LHD a more natural position in the 68 Porsche and the RHD a bit less comfortable, altho the 356 is more neutral than a 911 with its set up.  I have lived and driven in many other countries and find the change relatively easy. 

Same spot mate

So then it will not just be a pain in the ass for me then, to have to go to the passenger side every time I want to open any other part of the car ;)  (I still prefer RHD though :) ).

It's clearly been a long time since you sat in your car there Jeff :P The cockpit is tiny...just a short lean over to the passenger side and easy peasy ;) 

Agreed, more convenient if it was just next to the driver. Guess this is one thing the factory did not consider worthy when manufacturing for the rest of the world market??

It's clearly been a long time since you sat in your car there Jeff :P The cockpit is tiny...just a short lean over to the passenger side and easy peasy ;) 

Agreed, more convenient if it was just next to the driver. Guess this is one thing the factory did not consider worthy when manufacturing for the rest of the world market??

Haha. Very true. I am going from working on the car from the outside, so I go around to the passenger side all the time. I forgot how small the cabin actually is :) 

My 1976 Targa was a LHD car when I got it, I purchased all the panels required/pedal box plus dash top. Some people in the trade found me a guy on the central coast that had done a few of them.

When you pop the hood & remove the carpets, lift up the flap & you will see the steering shaft uni, pretty much in the center of the car Porsche designed it that way.

If it's LHD it goes of off to the left, & if it's a RHD it goes off to the right, most of the wiring loom is long enough to go left or right. At this point it is worth a mention to get the sparky that is going to do the rewire, to do the pull down of this bit, Or tag everything very well.

It was some 15 to 20 years ago when I did it, but if you get the right people on the job you can not tell the difference, I had the car for 12 years after the conversion. It cost  between 5 & 7k all up.        

Call Detlef (Dennis), whilst hes likely past doing conversions he did many in the past and is a wealth of knowledge - most importantly he is a great guy and super generous with his time. He is probably a good source of who to go to and what to ask for - 03 9763 1192

http://www.autohaus911.com/mindex.htm

I should add - Detlef has converted LHD 928s to RHD - anyone who has looked at a 928 will tell you thats like pulling apart a Space Shuttle, takes big balls

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth... I have a zag converted L to R car...(1987 3.2)  But to get the sale, I insisted that the front passenger footwell (at the back, not the floor) had to be fixed as I knew my gf would freak out and I certainly didn't like the look. It had a set of cables & tubes that prevented the rear wall to the frunk being fixed in. The feedback was that it was the a/c compressor cables and needed a new set to properly clear the space and allow the foot panel to be fixed in place...

anyway $1600 at auto coupe later, all fixed and I have a nice neat passenger foot space and a happy gf.

For what it's worth... I have a zag converted L to R car...(1987 3.2)  But to get the sale, I insisted that the front passenger footwell (at the back, not the floor) had to be fixed as I knew my gf would freak out and I certainly didn't like the look. It had a set of cables & tubes that prevented the rear wall to the frunk being fixed in. The feedback was that it was the a/c compressor cables and needed a new set to properly clear the space and allow the foot panel to be fixed in place...

anyway $1600 at auto coupe later, all fixed and I have a nice neat passenger foot space and a happy gf.

Saw this at Autocoupe a while back . What a ripper!

I will be fully documenting the conversion process we take on for the 930 Turbo and the 88 3.2 we have coming in . Plan at this stage is to leave them standard but convert LHD to RHD . We have converted quite a few cars over the years but this will be the first and second 911 we try . Will start a thread soon . Cars due to arrive November 10th

Saw this at Autocoupe a while back . What a ripper!

I will be fully documenting the conversion process we take on for the 930 Turbo and the 88 3.2 we have coming in . Plan at this stage is to leave them standard but convert LHD to RHD . We have converted quite a few cars over the years but this will be the first and second 911 we try . Will start a thread soon . Cars due to arrive November 10th

With the way the current market is, where a converted car is worth similar (if not less) than an original LHD, why would you do it? I have a converted car, and yes I prefer RHD, but with the values of original cars skyrocketing, and molested cars, being snubbed, it is a big call to convert cars now...

With the way the current market is, where a converted car is worth similar (if not less) than an original LHD, why would you do it? I have a converted car, and yes I prefer RHD, but with the values of original cars skyrocketing, and molested cars, being snubbed, it is a big call to convert cars now...

Yeh I understand the value side of it but I also buy cars to drive and make me happy. For myself RHD is more natural and comfortable. The realistic approach we have taken with these is to convert and drive and at some point some day some year if we decide to sell them or one it is what it is regarding price , value , asking price and final sale price like anything else

Original market and condition is strong yes so so the restored zinc coated nut and bolt rebuild market , matching numbers low kms this won't change as there is always buyers who will be looking for collector pieces and happy to pay collector prices. Horses for courses , but in the same breath there are a lot of potential buyers that wouldn't pay the price of an Oz delivered 930 or 3.2 but would pay a converted price. I didn't buy these cars to flip or sell short term ( hopefully nothing changes ) Until they get here and we really look at them and pull them apart they could be hunks or junk and who cares. Fingers crossed there not.

Will keep you guys in the loop 

Archived