New arrival

GC9911

Not the best day to take delivery but who can wait. Full report coming soon.

IMG_2155_zps0d3jjxrb.jpg

If anyone knows what the strange lever is between the seats please let the dealer know, they hadn't seen one before!

IMG_2152_zps9havyca1.jpg

IMG_2149_zpsmxh721nc.jpg

57a69c4b-36a4-41e0-bbd7-570d7afed361_zps

IMG_2153_zps3a34evte.jpg

Looks very nice and a great colour.  Love the roof too and wheels.  All great.  I also love the rain as it provides another excuse to wash it and get close and personal with your new toy.

Wow the Beemer is parked too close for comfort.  I suggest a 1.5 metre clearance zone all around for the first few months at least

Congratulations that is stunning ,,,looking forward to hearing some first hand impressions of what the latest 911 is like to own and drive  :D

Initial impressions:

Well, first & most significant impression is the noise, compared to the GTS with its raspy, crisp bark, bite, exhaust that builds to an adrenalin rush crescendo, the 991.2 is not that. The exhaust is still Porsche just a deeper rumble, still a great noise though, just softer, I haven't been above 3,000rpm yet due to running in so who knows past 4,000rpm? It's never going to sound like the GTS or even the 991.1 Carrera S with sports exhaust I suspect.

Steering, much more feel than 991.1 & GTS although GTS was very GT3 in feel, 991.2 is better than both, not back to the 997.2 hydraulic but close, very close.

Manual gear change, I never really had a problem with the manual in 991's but the GTS was definately a level above. The 991.2 is just in another place all together, short shift & direct, it's almost silky smooth while being direct without stubbornly notchy, almost like the 996 6 speed box. The clutch is really light & linear.

Now the power, as my kids say OMG!!!!! I have driven a 997.2 turbo at queensland raceway & this is so different. There is no turbo lag (& if there is its imperceptible to me). The response to throttle is immediate, almost no need to wait for the revs to build just plant it & your in licence losing territory in the blink.

Verdict, this is a much more refined car (which may not appeal to everyone) but what a package, totally taken the carrera S to another place.

I set out to buy another NA car but don't regret this at all.

I'll post more detailed review when I get some klmns under the belt.

That must be a very limited edition investment grade classic sport trailer taking pride and place under cover while the BMW and lovely looking new p car are out in the rain ? 

Plus one on not going the black wheels, car looks fantastic and yes I can imagine a few confused looks about that lever between the seats at the dealer ?

That must be a very limited edition investment grade classic sport trailer taking pride and place under cover while the BMW and lovely looking new p car are out in the rain ? 

Plus one on not going the black wheels, car looks fantastic and yes I can imagine a few confused looks about that lever between the seats at the dealer ?

Ha Ha, good one on the trailer! Good call, it was going in the street except for pissing down rain. Tomorrow the trailer is toast

Looks tasty... well done! I like your choice of wheels too, everyone seems to opt for the same turbo type wheel! 

Might be time for another "We're going for a drive but we're not going to go too fast" drive. Caver said he was going to run the sth coast drive again soon.

Congratulations Greg. It looks stunning in white with the platinum wheels. Enjoy!! 

Really Chris, I went to PCSS to buy a white GT4, sat down at the desk & looked at the desk next door & there's my mate from Targa Tas putting a deposit on the same car. I taped him on the shoulder & said "what the f are you doing here"? So i missed out, but whats meant to be is meant to be! I do love the 991.2 though, so fast & so much rush from the turbos! Every time you look down at the speedo its "oh F" . Whole bunch of new stuff, if cruise is on you can chage up or down & cruise remains active, very audi. Brakes are bigger, rears are now 305. All the PDKs i've driven feel faster than manuals but this feels as fast as the PDK but you get to change gear yourself. One piece of shit is if you select Sport mode it auto blips on the down change, but its a crap effort, I can heel toe a lot better. Saving grace is you can now dial up individual mode & bypass shitty auto blip.

more info to come with more klms.

• 3 weeks later...

Beauty & the beast!

%5BURL=http://s528.photobucket.com/user/gregorc08/media/IMG_1757_zpsr2qcwrjj.jpg.html]IMG_1757_zpsr2qcwrjj.jpg

%5BURL=http://s528.photobucket.com/user/gregorc08/media/IMG_1758_zpsz0lpi05x.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd321/gregorc08/IMG_1758_zpsz0lpi05x.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5

%5BURL=http://s528.photobucket.com/user/gregorc08/media/IMG_1758_zpsz0lpi05x.jpg.html]IMG_1758_zpsz0lpi05x.jpg

• 5 months later...

Seems there is an explanation for my criticism about the exhaust note of the 991.2 being somewhat subdued compared to the 991.1 NA. After my 1st annual service 2 weeks ago PCW, to their credit, advised me the sports exhaust bellows that operate the exhaust bypass flaps were not operating correctly. They advised "we'll contact PCA for advice". Result, "please replace whole muffler & ancillaries under warranty, no charge". So the result is a complete new sports exhaust, what a difference, still not the N/A crisp bark but now it has a deep throaty rumble & rasp that's just great. I was previously reading all the press about Porsche doing significant work on the exhaust sound but just didn't get it with my car, now I understand, sounds great. I drove through the Syd harbour tunnel & ED yesterday, what a difference to the car I took in. PCW advised this is the first issue they have had with PSE on 991.2 so i'm either a trend leader or cursed. 

Interesting conversation with my sales guy about 991.1 GT3 & prices, he was of the opinion that once 991.2 GT3 is released 991.1 GT3 prices will take a hit & may not recover, they have 35 orders for 991.2GT3, 6 manual the rest PDK.

Probably jammed that exhaust with mud and stones on that bloody driveway.. have you fixed that yet?   Farm hicks and Porsches I dont know.. :) 

I undertand the thing with tunnels too..  

991.1 GT3 .. well cheapest I have heard is 250 .. a lot of kit for that money .. so quickly we move on , even the plain Jane colours and models are great cars.. cant wait till they are under 200 and we can look to Outlaw them ;)

Probably jammed that exhaust with mud and stones on that bloody driveway.. have you fixed that yet?   Farm hicks and Porsches I dont know.. :) 

I undertand the thing with tunnels too..  

991.1 GT3 .. well cheapest I have heard is 250 .. a lot of kit for that money .. so quickly we move on , even the plane Jane colours and models are great cars.. cant wait till their under 200 and we can look to Outlaw them ;)

Yes, tarred the driveway, got a boxblade for the tractor & do the rest of the road myself. 

Couple of 991.1 GT3's around at the moment, sticker around $325k but I think u could buy better with the haggle. Having driven them, if u can live with the PDK (personal ill informed manual bias exposed) they could prove to be a bargain in 991.2 shadow for sure, I think current GT4 prices are a good indication. Comment at PCW yesterday was a lot of people brought GT4,as flippers, didn't make the money they thought whereas real drivers understand the GT4 & will keep them.

Yes, tarred the driveway, got a boxblade for the tractor & do the rest of the road myself. 

Couple of 991.1 GT3's around at the moment, sticker around $325k but I think u could buy better with the haggle. Having driven them, if u can live with the PDK (personal ill informed manual bias exposed) they could prove to be a bargain in 991.2 shadow for sure, I think current GT4 prices are a good indication. Comment at PCW yesterday was a lot of people brought GT4,as flippers, didn't make the money they thought whereas real drivers understand the GT4 & will keep them.

One future owner (one and half years ago) I know boasted that the GT4s would be the last of the NA Caymans and would become a future collectible and that he was privileged to get the last of the Australian assigned batch. Little did he know that Porsche continued making them for another half a year and 2000 odd were delivered (hardly a rare vehicle). Plus the next GT4RS will be a 4.0L. 

Interesting conversation with my sales guy about 991.1 GT3 & prices, he was of the opinion that once 991.2 GT3 is released 991.1 GT3 prices will take a hit & may not recover, they have 35 orders for 991.2GT3, 6 manual the rest PDK.

Im not surprised given the ongoing issues with the cams and finger followers on the 991.1 gt3 engines. It seems anything more than a spiritedly driven 15,000km is a great outcome. The 991.2 based on the racing 4L will be a far better engine as it has already proven itself. 

While manual drivers may be noisy they are few in numbers and becomming less every day. ?

Archived