What next after a 996 turbo? Air cooled or GT4?

Mr X

Hi, this is my first ever post on the forum which I think is great by the way - big fan. 

Bought my first Porsche about 4 years back now which is an Aus manual 996 turbo that currently has 80k on the clock. It's not a daily driver so its all about the feel and thrills. 

Its' a great looking car and has the performance and handling to match, however I think I have an itch to try something else in the Porsche family.

I've always loved the look of the 930's and its where my first appreciation for Porsche's came from. Trying to work out whether I sell my 996 to get an Aus delivered 930 or are they just not worth the current money being asked in comparison for the value I get out of my 996tt?

I've also recently seen a couple of GT4's on the road which have caught my eye and a lot of reviews rate them quite highly, but would want to wait for prices of second hand ones to drop a little.  

Would be great to get some advice on where people think the 996tt is heading and whether it would be a car to hold onto or trade for one the above mentioned?

Cheers

I guess the big question is what do you want out of your Porsche? 

The 996TT would be one of the best all rounders where as a 930 & GT4 are worlds apart in terms of what they offer. Are you wanting the odd Sunday drive or hit the track or both? 

Id suggest at a minimum get some time behind the wheel of both, that may help answer the question. Welcome to the forum, nice way to introduce yourself with a hole can of worms! 

Hi, this is my first ever post on the forum which I think is great by the way - big fan. 

Bought my first Porsche about 4 years back now which is an Aus manual 996 turbo that currently has 80k on the clock. It's not a daily driver so its all about the feel and thrills. 

Its' a great looking car and has the performance and handling to match, however I think I have an itch to try something else in the Porsche family.

I've always loved the look of the 930's and its where my first appreciation for Porsche's came from. Trying to work out whether I sell my 996 to get an Aus delivered 930 or are they just not worth the current money being asked in comparison for the value I get out of my 996tt?

I've also recently seen a couple of GT4's on the road which have caught my eye and a lot of reviews rate them quite highly, but would want to wait for prices of second hand ones to drop a little.  

Would be great to get some advice on where people think the 996tt is heading and whether it would be a car to hold onto or trade for one the above mentioned?

Cheers

I think the 996 TT will slowly go up but not like other "classics". They made a lot of them. I've had a couple and they're simply brilliant so think carefully before you off load it as there's precious little out there that matches it. New or old.

The 930 is a good thing and the money they're making now is more sensible.  They'll go for another run over the nest few years.  As a driver, they're great but no real go low down, big rush of grunt, grab another gear and go again.  AC is crap.  You only really use 2 gears in traffic (2 and 3).  A GT car but overall, 7 out of 10 times if I had the choice, I'd pick the 996TT.

GT4 is an interesting proposition read and heard, would be a natural progression from the TT.  Apparently the AC works too.

Have you thought about and 04 - 07 GT3?

As previously mentioned very different propositions. In my eyes, unless you are doing track days, you could probably have more 'fun' in the 930. It would be more of an event to drive. I think the GT4 is just too good, to get as much out of it on the road (at least anywhere near the realm of keeping your licence). The other thing is, I think it will be a while until the prices come down on the GT4's if ever. As they are quite limited and collectable, they should hold value pretty well.

You're already thinking about it, so maybe it's time for a change? 

A GT4 would be the ultimate drivers  car I reckon, though I'd be getting hold of a 930 for a couple of hours to see if you could live with it. I reckon you'll be hooked after that

Cheers

930 every time. No matter how good modern porsches are you get bored after a few years. Unless of course you like track work. I am guessing a GT4 would be hard to match for the money.

pm me if you are serious about a 930. I might have just what you need ?

Very interesting thought as all three are such different cars. Personally, the 930 isn't for me. Awesome looks and it definitely is an event to drive but very difficult to drive one quickly on the street. On the track they don't have much to offer over your TT or GT4 unless heavily modified, at which point it defeats the purpose. I haven't driven a GT4 but I reckon it would be a great dual purpose car (weekends and a handful of track days per year). At current prices I would say a 997 GT3 is a better bet.

Thanks for all the good advice. Think I need to get behind the wheel of some more Porsche's to make the hard decision. Good problem to have but one is never enough right so always a hard decision! I've never considered a GT3 so might look into it.

930 .. lots of noise , nostalga and , nice to look at .. the best lesson in Turbo Lag you will find 

TT .. very very useable and forgiving car .. wouldnt pay the top dollar .. but look around , definatley more tractable and useable than a 930 and a woman would be more at home for a sunday drive also.. A/C works for a start.. if you want to cruise , wine tour etc etc .. still very very quick by totadys standards..

GT3 , tell ya once I have stamped on the accelerator .. probably the one of the safe buys today..

but hunt a and have a go in  997 Turbo, go like a scorched cat and very comfortable..   I have had one in the mountains in Switzerland and really couldnt hurt it .. super comfy and reliable .. maybe great buying at 150-170  I reckon 

Yes drive .. em tech talk and romantic idelas a very different story to driving 

Very interesting thought as all three are such different cars. Personally, the 930 isn't for me. Awesome looks and it definitely is an event to drive but very difficult to drive one quickly on the street. On the track they don't have much to offer over your TT or GT4 unless heavily modified, at which point it defeats the purpose. I haven't driven a GT4 but I reckon it would be a great dual purpose car (weekends and a handful of track days per year). At current prices I would say a 997 GT3 is a better bet.

Agree, hard to go past the looks of a 930 and I've always loved the vintage but coming from a 996tt you compromise a lot for it, even for a weekender. But there's just something about them. If they were half the price I would have one in a flash but il stop day dreaming. So if there can only be one trade up, for new or old... also something that would appreciate in value more than the 996tt would be a consideration. 

You should jump in a 930 before you think about it even more. Turbo Lag from the 70's and 80's.. Well damn.. It's nothing like modern day turbocharged cars. 
Even though my 944T is now packed with a modern turbo and other bits and pieces. It still feels like an 80's sports car with all that lag. 

In the mountains, I need to fang the shit out of it to get power out of it. Just has not enough down low. It'll be the same with a 930. possibly worse. But Smiles all around when the turbo kicks in at 3500rpm. 

What do you want out of a car? I love my 930. It's all kinds of cool in looks, feel, 'vibe' etc. It's a special kind of drive. You need to try it to know if it suits you. And you need to try it properly.

If I didn't have one and I could only have one Porsche, I'm not sure a 930 is the one I would buy. I do know, however, that it's the one I would sell last. If I sold it, I don't think I'd be able to get another - that would make me sad :(

Personally, I would be leaning towards a proper fully sik air-cooled hot rod or a GT3. 

997 Turbo, or GT3 are good options. MK1s are very harsh as a daily but the warp factor when you stand on it is very addictive. They get less agricultural and more refined the newer the model. MK1s will always be the most collectible due to the much lower production numbers and the rawer nature of the car.

GT4 is on my shortlist but they seem fantasy priced at the moment. 170ish of them made it here which is a hell of a lot more than any of the GT3s. A 718 GT4 has also been confirmed for 2018 with the same motor and manual so I can't see prices holding over the next 3 years. All comes down to supply and demand I guess.

We're still not sure if you want to track it or not? 

Having said that, if you own a 996 TT now and you're itching for something else, I would definitely suggest looking at a different formula to the Turbo Porsche. 

Skidmarks is right on the GT3's they are a phenomenal machine, especially if you are doing track work... if you're not, you may become frustrated by its abilities and your lack of opportunities to exploit them.  

In air cooled from impact bumper era, I would actually steer you to look at a Carrera 3.2... those are a wonderful thing, especially with the M491 Turbo wide body option. 

GT4 is on my shortlist but they seem fantasy priced at the moment. 170ish of them made it here which is a hell of a lot more than any of the GT3s. A 718 GT4 has also been confirmed for 2018 with the same motor and manual so I can't see prices holding over the next 3 years. All comes down to supply and demand I guess.

This is true? The news I was hoping for. I see the GT4 ending up as a 150K car in the future in that case. That would be good buying.

We're still not sure if you want to track it or not? 

Having said that, if you own a 996 TT now and you're itching for something else, I would definitely suggest looking at a different formula to the Turbo Porsche. 

Skidmarks is right on the GT3's they are a phenomenal machine, especially if you are doing track work... if you're not, you may become frustrated by its abilities and your lack of opportunities to exploit them.  

In air cooled from impact bumper era, I would actually steer you to look at a Carrera 3.2... those are a wonderful thing, especially with the M491 Turbo wide body option. 

Not really looking for a track machine although it's nice to know the power is there waiting to be woken if you need it :) 

At some stage I think il get behind the wheel of a GT3 and GT4 but I'm leaning more towards the GT4 as another all rounder with all the creature comforts and looks.

Just find it hard to justify the >$100k price tags for some of the air cooled ones if a GT4 will slip into the same price category in a couple of years. 

997 Turbo, or GT3 are good options. MK1s are very harsh as a daily but the warp factor when you stand on it is very addictive. They get less agricultural and more refined the newer the model. MK1s will always be the most collectible due to the much lower production numbers and the rawer nature of the car.

Thanks, good advice - is Mk1 a 996 or 997?

Just find it hard to justify the >$100k price tags for some of the air cooled ones if a GT4 will slip into the same price category in a couple of years. 

This says more than anything else about what you really want. You either get older, air cooled cars or you don't. You clearly don't and there is nothing wrong with that. I would love both my 3.2 Carrera and a GT4, but if I had to choose one, for the same money, the old air cooled wins every single time. For me, it's not about capability. It's about the experience, connection and purity. Every time I drive it is an occasion. What to some are annoying faults, to me are enjoyable quirks of an older car. 

Each to their own, but i don't think youreally want older car ownership and you will be disappointed.

This says more than anything else about what you really want. You either get older, air cooled cars or you don't. You clearly don't and there is nothing wrong with that.

Think that's ultimately why I went with my 996 over a 993 at the time. I've got old 70's fords I bought in my 20's that I wouldn't sell. To be honest I just haven't driven or grown up with old Porsche's to make the decision or nostalgic bias. Always good to know the air cooled are as popular as ever if I go that way. It's more if I can only have one now where to put the moula $$$ or keep the 996tt

Thanks, good advice - is Mk1 a 996 or 997?

I should have been clearer. Mk1 GT3 is the first gen 996. If you look at production numbers its the hot ticket. Its also the most sports car and raw of all the GT3s, which means that more of them have been written off than the others - no nanny aids on a Mk1 GT3. They were keen buying 2 years ago for sub-100k, not so much now as the chicken has flown the coupe. But what do i know? They may still double again.

996 GT3 (Mk1) 1999-2001, 1868 Units

996 GT3 (Mk2) 2003-2005, 2313 Units

996 GT3 RS 2003-2004, 682 Units

997 GT3 (Mk1) 2006-2009, 2378 Units

997 GT3 (Mk2) 2009-2011, 2256 Units

I have a 2004 996 Turbo and a GT4. The Turbo has suspension mods for road use including adjustable Bilsteins PSS10, handles and feels great. I really couldn't part with either.

Bu if I had to choose it would be the GT4, it just does everything right out of the box, and oh I love the exhaust noise, cant believe they got this one through the noise regulations.

Not really looking for a track machine although it's nice to know the power is there waiting to be woken if you need it :) 

GT4 or GT3's aren't that powerful (relative to a lot of their competition), it's about the handling dynamics and how they can be driven at spend around bends. This is something you can only really exercise at the track, on the street your 996TT would be just as quick (if not quicker). 

Unless your prepared to take either to a track you will only ever explore maybe 7/10 (if your lucky) of what these cars can actually do. If you want a good road car and like 'power' (insert Jeremy Clarkson voice) then stick with a turbo (996 or 997). 

My 2 cents. 

I'm unsure what you want to do with the car which makes it hard.

The TT is fantastic out of the box, you can throw $10k at it and it'll show the door to any stock 997 GT3 or turbo on a race track and put a huge smile on your face.  They are far too capable for you to extract the performance of them out on the road (same with a 997 GT3/TT or a GT4 etc).

If you want a pure road car and weekend whip a 996TT is probably the best bang for buck you can get, if you aren't as concerned with outright speed a 930/356/early 911 could be worth considering from a smile factor.

Of all the cars I've got and driven the 996TT would be the last to go as it does everything very well and provides the best bang for buck.  

A 718 GT4 has also been confirmed for 2018 with the same motor and manual so I can't see prices holding over the next 3 Years

Can you show me the press release for this? I hadn't heard this and have my ear to the ground so wonder how I missed it. This is actually the complete opposite to the general consensus amongst the GT4 community with most Thinking it will be a turbo four but at this stage no one knows definitely. Again the general consensus is that it cannot be the current motor as it has been discontinued from production so it's unlikely it would be resurrected......

Archived