Now I really understand the meaning of stealership

reggiegums

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely Ridiculous price to charge your customers for a $5.00 piece of metal a $2.00 piece of plastic and $10.00 worth of electronics. 

The labour and equipment costs to code it is understandable but the rest is over the top. If the blank and electronics was marketed at $200.00  you would cop that pay the labour and move on however $1k is not acceptable.

17 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

See if you can track down the last owner, it could be in his/her second draw under the ball of rubber bands and a pile of pens, next to the nut cracker and that wine bottle resealer 

??? You just described my key bowl! Except for the nut cracker....she's at work

On 6/29/2018 at 7:45 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

Had same problem when we purchased our 987.1.  Purchased a matching new key head via ebay which had an unencoded transponder in it.  Bought the blade from expressautokeys.co.uk - you email them a good photo of the blade and they cut it from that - worked perfectly for about $25 or so from memory.  Then you are up for the encoding of the transponder which probably needs a visit to a Porsche Centre to do - can cost a couple of hundred I believe, we got ours done for nix as a "no liability admitted" trade-off for damage to a tyre valve resulting in a stuffed tyre we think occurred during our first service there.

@Philbee, just checked back through my records.  They keyhead I actually got from Autohaus Hamilton, not Ebay, sorry.  It had the electronics and an unencoded slug, cost 4 years ago was $285, so the cost excluding re-coding was $305.  Even if a PC, or independent with necessary equipment charged $250 to recode, that's still about 1/2 the price of the PC quote.  I was happy with that to have the security of a second key.  @tazzieman, that was 1.1% the cost of the vehicle, happy to go with that.  Part of the key on our  original "genuine" key broke, and I got a spare without electronics on Ebay for not very much, and used the Chinese copy part to replace the broken bit in the original keyhead

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2017 at 10:27 PM, YellowDieselGolf said:

I got my Golf serviced and asked them to ORDER a new set of headlight covers and a new dipstick.

I was charged an install fee of $25.  Each.

I just found a pic of the invoice and I was wrong.

dipstickinvoice.jpg

I got charged $22.50 to install a dipstick.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:17 PM, YellowDieselGolf said:

I just found a pic of the invoice and I was wrong.

dipstickinvoice.jpg

VW are absolute bandits - Ive had 6 VWs from new, wifes current car will be the last one. They are more expensive to service than a Porsche by a factor of about 25%, the Cayenne is cheaper to service than the Toureg (I had one of those - whole other nightmare)

2 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

the Cayenne is cheaper to service than the Toureg (I had one of those - whole other nightmare)

How when they're basically the same car? ? 

We had our ticking time bomb Territory serviced coupla months ago, and they found some alarming problems with the front end so it cost us $1600 to fix all up. The mechanic said they're a shocking car and one of the most expensive to fix and we should seriously burn it. I suggested an 05 Cayenne as a replacement and he said they're a helluva lot better quality than the Territory and cheaper to service and parts

On 10/8/2018 at 7:47 PM, YellowDieselGolf said:

Couldn't they find the right hole? 

Toyota once charged me $20 to change the batteries on two remotes, plus $20 for the batteries. They only got away with because I had someone else taking the car in as if I had picked the car up and seen that I would have blasted them. 

Just on servicing costs, I have found our Toyota Kluger pretty expensive to service. Heavy on brakes and tyres too. But not as expensive as our Audi A4. I will never buy another Audi

33 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Just on servicing costs, I have found our Toyota Kluger pretty expensive to service. Heavy on brakes and tyres too. 

Ugh! We've been looking at Klugers lately, as our mechanic (and I know) that you can't really go wrong with anything Toyota. 

I could have bought a very clean 140km 05 Cayenne for $10k recently as the seller was desperate to sell, but the missus isn't too keen on the blind spot they have 'apparently'. Still trying to convince her ? Gotta say jumping out of the Territory into the Cayenne and back, the Territory is more comfortable to drive, yet we won't be buying one again

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

How when they're basically the same car? ? 

schedule service costs are lower is my understanding 

My Toureg had 3 sunroof cassettes replaced at a cost to VW of around $20k, plus they had to replace the headliner twice and front seats and carpet - they were at around $50k in work and they couldn't stop the sunroof leaking.......final result was they believed the body shell was warped

they ended up buying the car back from me....

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Ugh! We've been looking at Klugers lately, as our mechanic (and I know) that you can't really go wrong with anything Toyota. 

I could have bought a very clean 140km 05 Cayenne for $10k recently as the seller was desperate to sell, but the missus isn't too keen on the blind spot they have 'apparently'. Still trying to convince her ? Gotta say jumping out of the Territory into the Cayenne and back, the Territory is more comfortable to drive, yet we won't be buying one again

Try an ML Lee, great cars!!

23 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Thank God I'll never have to buy any late model fam wagons or sedans, if so next car I'd buy would be the Kingswood!

If you shop around you can find parts cheap :)

44 minutes ago, ANF said:

If you shop around you can find parts cheap :)

Yep trouble free (mostly) late 60's early 70's cars ... and my daughter's been driving a 1966 Valiant AP6  over the past 6 years and never a problem and I've done the servicing, cheap as!

5 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Yep trouble free (mostly) late 60's early 70's cars ... and my daughter's been driving a 1966 AP6  over the past 6 years and never a problem and I've done the servicing, cheap as!

I have had "late" model, never new, cars for years now, do all my own servicing and most repairs and "touch wood" no calamities yet, well in the newer stuff anyway.... :rolleyes:

I agree with Lee. I had a Territory that whilst the drive train was fine it was everything around it that broke. Was a very comfortable car.

Traded that in for my current car, a Mazda CX9 and I have to tell you that i'm not feeling the love for it. It has some major design flaws (for me at least).

Thought about a Cayenne and Adam tried to talk me into an ML350.

The Cayenne whilst generally a reliable car, I just can't justify spending the same amount I bought it for in fixing it should it go bang.

I have to admit that I'm seriously looking at an ML350 again (due to Adam's recommendation).

4 minutes ago, 3legs said:

I agree with Lee. I had a Territory that whilst the drive train was fine it was everything around it that broke. Was a very comfortable car.

Traded that in for my current car, a Mazda CX9 and I have to tell you that i'm not feeling the love for it. It has some major design flaws (for me at least).

Thought about a Cayenne and Adam tried to talk me into an ML350.

The Cayenne whilst generally a reliable car, I just can't justify spending the same amount I bought it for in fixing it should it go bang.

I have to admit that I'm seriously looking at an ML350 again (due to Adam's recommendation).

Trying to talk you into it is a bit strong.....  you probably say the same about your 928 ;)

Any car can have issues (and doesn't the internet love to reverberate that!) but I have had 2 MLs and any issues have been minor :)

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

I would still buy another Kluger though. Depreciation is low compared to a Cayenne and its a solid and safe car. The V6 is a nice engine too although heavy on fuel around the city

6 minutes ago, LeeM said:

The Merc's are a tad well over our budget @ANF

If it was up to me I'd just buy a Commodore or something, yet the missus wants another largish SUV and the Kluger is winning the race so far

Equivalent Merc MLs are cheaper than Cayennes.

Archived