Now I really understand the meaning of stealership

reggiegums

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$5000 for BMW to supply and for new lock set and two keys and lock control unit. Twice the price of the  porker. 

why did you need everything?  Was it a theft attempt?  I thought they are basically unstealable without a flat bed?

i do know replacement keys are $800 and that a new EWS (immobiliser) is something like $500 - both are special order from the factory.

why did you need everything?  Was it a theft attempt?  I thought they are basically unstealable without a flat bed?

i do know replacement keys are $800 and that a new EWS (immobiliser) is something like $500 - both are special order from the factory.

Yes it was a theft attempt where they got both keys. I picked the car up yesterday. The invoice was about  $3200 of parts and $1750 of labour. Parts was transmitters, blades, EWS and some bits and bobs. 

The Cardan shaft on the Cayennes is a good one. While my fix might be on the extreme end, it shows how little we look for a 'repair' solution rather than just replace.

The Cardan shaft on the Cayennes is a known weakness. The 2mm thick rubber bearing support eventually (100,000km) fatigues and fails, which allows the shaft to flap around, and can impact on the floor of the car. Porsche's solution is to replace the whole shaft assembly - shafts, bearings, carrier, bolts and all. $2400 or so. you can get change-over (rebuilt) shafts for around $1000 or so, but again, you're replacing the whole assembly for just a piece of perished rubber.

Enter the "Jimi fix".

I used $1.20 worth of reinforced heater hose, 13 plastic cable ties and half an hour of my time to replace the perished rubber, without even removing the shaft. It may not last forever, but I'm confident it will outlast a rebuilt Cardan shaft with the same 2mm thick piece of rubber.

The Cardan shaft on the Cayennes is a good one. While my fix might be on the extreme end, it shows how little we look for a 'repair' solution rather than just replace.

The Cardan shaft on the Cayennes is a known weakness. The 2mm thick rubber bearing support eventually (100,000km) fatigues and fails, which allows the shaft to flap around, and can impact on the floor of the car. Porsche's solution is to replace the whole shaft assembly - shafts, bearings, carrier, bolts and all. $2400 or so. you can get change-over (rebuilt) shafts for around $1000 or so, but again, you're replacing the whole assembly for just a piece of perished rubber.

Enter the "Jimi fix".

I used $1.20 worth of reinforced heater hose, 13 plastic cable ties and half an hour of my time to replace the perished rubber, without even removing the shaft. It may not last forever, but I'm confident it will outlast a rebuilt Cardan shaft with the same 2mm thick piece of rubber.

I like your style my man!

Enter the "Jimi fix".

Grungle,  that's amazing. I have no idea what a cardan shaft is or looks like.... any pics you can post to enlighten us non-cayenners would be great.

I can't take credit for it, a guy in the states called Jimi came up with it, who was supposedly a mechanic for some desert racing teams that used this to fix failed bearing supports during races.

The link in my post above has more photos, but this is the important one:

80-imag1699_7fca326541af430ed1f5d6b3d618

I can't take credit for it, a guy in the states called Jimi came up with it, who was supposedly a mechanic for some desert racing teams that used this to fix failed bearing supports during races.

The link in my post above has more photos, but this is the important one:

80-imag1699_7fca326541af430ed1f5d6b3d618

That is a dead set "Macgyver" style solution!!!

Bear Grylls also comes to mind .... :lol:

Great Ghetto fix!  Well done!  Who was the inventor of zip ties?  Hopefully he's a millionaire...

The inventor is a multimillionaire - the inventor of "zip ties" that the cut off piece that is then used as another zip tie, and the cutoff piece of that used aagin as another zip tie is a billionaire

Just had 996 GT3 in for service need new brake ducts $660 checked eBay $56+ $14 postage genuine Porsche ones. Bullet dodged. 

Front or rear ducts.   If front ducts, hats off to you because that's a real bargain and I would of stumped up for a couple of pairs at that price  (I opted for the USD $3.52 997 GT3 (from Porsche dealer) ones plus some extra ones because I suspect they will get demolished at some point and will be a consumable just like the front chin spoiler on my 996 tt (I'm working on a bitsa)).

Not as cheap as yours at USD $71 each for rear 996 gt3 ducts  plus delivery from a Porsche dealer and I thought that was a bargain, but appears I got taken to the cleaners compared to your price.  Just out of interest, did the ducts come from a Porsche dealer on ebay and did they come with an original Porsche box, or did the ebay seller remove the box to save some volumetric weight for the postage. 

Front or rear ducts.   If front ducts, hats off to you because that's a real bargain and I would of stumped up for a couple of pairs at that price  (I opted for the USD $3.52 997 GT3 (from Porsche dealer) ones plus some extra ones because I suspect they will get demolished at some point and will be a consumable just like the front chin spoiler on my 996 tt (I'm working on a bitsa)).

Not as cheap as yours at USD $71 each for rear 996 gt3 ducts  plus delivery from a Porsche dealer and I thought that was a bargain, but appears I got taken to the cleaners compared to your price.  Just out of interest, did the ducts come from a Porsche dealer on ebay and did they come with an original Porsche box, or did the ebay seller remove the box to save some volumetric weight for the postage. 

Front ducts @ $71 the pair landed @ my door. Didn't arrive in Porsche boxes but do still have the stickers on them. I will admit they are upgraded ones for the 996 not as per the original ones but at $600 saving and where you can't see them not to bothered. 

Enter the "Jimi fix".

There is a fix for these that is in 2 pieces and you just bolt over the shaft, I forget how much but a fraction of new.

Mercedes are a good one too! The last time I used them for anything I was informed that they no longer fix things just replace with a new or rebuilt item from the factory.... I was quoted $5000 for a rebuilt diff centre (from Germany) for my E class!! I changed the oil and lived with the slight noise.... They replace engines rather than fix them, same with gearboxes and the like...!!

There is a fix for these that is in 2 pieces and you just bolt over the shaft, I forget how much but a fraction of new.

There is! It's about $450 or so, and is basically a fancy version of the zip ties and rubber hose.

?format=300w

• 2 weeks later...

Change a headlight bulb on a Liberty GT at Subaru Mentone.

It just went the day before the booked service so I mentioned it.  Otherwise something i'd obviously do myself...

They called later saying it would be about $80 for an hours labour to install.  Said you have to remove and refit the front bar to access.

The car was new to me and I'd never even opened the bonnet yet so took their word for it.

About a week later the other bulb went.  Popped the hood had a look, both L & R easily accessible as you normally would expect.

They argued that is how Subaru Factory Trained Technicians do it.

Crooks. Never went back.  

Meanwhile 1st time I went to Lucas Automotive (Subaru Indy) spent 20 mins on the car at no cost when my wife put 91 fuel in it (98 only) coz they'd seen the white Lib GT with gold OZ wheels out at service parks/spectating rally events.

Customer for as long as I had Subies.

VW steelership in Brisbane - 8 yr ago.

Replace computer on V5 Bora - $1200 + some.   Pfft

$250 from Exchange & Mart - UK including post, loom connector and three screws into the firewall.  Job done.

Then they tell me I need a new timing belt..  WRONG - try again.   Never again.

Ahh – the BMW Stealership…  Against my better judgement, I take my wife’s 123D there every 2nd oil service to get some stamps in the service book.  At the last service (72,000km), the advice was “Sir, the brake pads are getting down and they’ll need replacing at around 80,000km.”  Me: ”Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind”.  Ordered a set of F&R pads from Clickable Automotive and replaced them at about 75,000km, noting that the brake wear indicators were untouched, and left them untouched.  At 80,000km, on the button, the  Image result for brake service symbol symbol came up.  Tried resetting with the aftermarket BMW software I have, to no avail.  Put up with it for the next 10,000km.

At this service, 92,000km (I did a service at 82,000km), back to the stealer and enquired about the brake symbol and they said they’d look into it.  Came to pick up and the response was “The brake wear sensors need to be replaced”.  I protested that the sensors hadn’t hit the discs and therefore shouldn’t have triggered the symbol at, suspiciously, 80,000km.  “Sir, they need to be replaced every time the pads are changed”.  (Sighs)  “How much for the sensors?”  “$190”  Me: “There are only 2 sensors (1 front, 1 rear) on the E82, aren’t there?”  “Correct, sir.”  Me: “Thanks, I’ll leave the light on for now.”

Back home, and on to Clickable:

Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Rear

Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Rear

OEM Part Number: 34356792564

$15.00    
Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Front

Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Front

OEM Part Number: 34356792560

$15.00    

Kept my pants up on this occasion…

Except for 4 Litres 5W-30 Diesel engine oil: $162.20!

That’ll do for now!

More BMW rip offs .  Wife's X5 was serviced at BMW Mornington last week.  She copped the wiper blades scam.  When they called her, she said do it, $160 later we have a lovely pair of $40 wiper blades.  Makes my blood boil, charge me $70 and I might cop it.  But $160 is just treating us like fools.

My Q7 is due for service in 1,000km........dealer is convenient so I'll give them a go with a pre warning not to stitch me up. Let's see how that goes.

BMW got me with the pad wear sensors.  I forgot to order them with the pads so I went to the dealership.   Didn't have any in stock so they said next day.  Forgot to ask price.

cant remember how much they were but after I picked them up and went home, saw how much I was ripped off, so I ordered a set online and returned the 'genuine' ones next day. A pita to be sure, but I wasn't going to cop it.  Drove around with the light on for a week or two until they arrived.

i have many many BMW parts stories, I can barely remember them all.  The good one is where they advertised 'free summer AC check' - clearly trying to drum up business.  But the car wasn't very cold so I took it in.  They topped up some gas for a cheap price, but told me it needed a new receiver dryer and Tx valve.  Quote was some ridiculous amount like $800.  Of course as I was declining the quote a salesman appeared from around the corner asking if I want to take anything for a test drive, what with my 'old one' needing such expensive repairs, and 'not really worth it anymore'.

So obviously the play is to flush out anyone about to head into summer with a not-perfect AC, smack them on the head with a mega dollar repair bill, and see if they can't talk you into a trade instead.  Creative, I'll give them that.

Oh, and the problem was a leaking evaporator anyway, so they didn't even diagnose it properly.

Archived