Boxster 2.5 is a bad Porsche, is that just a beat up?

All I see is hate mail for these cars, and yes I get it, they're kinda low on power at 150 flywheel kw. 

BUT, when we are now seeing price overlaps with 944 and even some 924 is the hate warranted? They're fundamentally similar in power and balance. 

I mean at these kind of prices, some of these are making me wonder if I should ditch the every day corolla and drive a Boxster to the supermarket instead, certainly not valuable enough for me to have parking anxiety... 

High km auto 2.5 - $11k 

cp5202405076972821753.jpg?height=290&asp

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-4437679&Cr=0 

Low km auto 2.5 - $ 13k~ 

cp4803258455255703844.jpg?height=290&asp

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-154201&Cr=2 

Moderate km manual 2.5 - $15k~ 

3380e13e6180e47c09522b06bbce01ee.jpg?hei

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=OAG-AD-12794040&Cr=5 

So I'm well aware you can get a nice 3.2 S for double the money, so why would a 2.5 for the right money be a bad idea? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove a 98 2.5 for a fair while and rate it as one of the sweetest cars (and Porsches) I've driven.  I stopped riving it because my wife drove it and kept the keys.  So I bought a 2000 Boxster S in retaliation.  She nicked that one too.

Sure, the car is down on grunt as against what came later but in reality, the car was never designed with outright grunt in mind.

Nothing beats Boxsters into and around bends and at 15K for a reliable one, you'd be nuts not to think about them. 

I'm a fan.

I drove a 98 2.5 for a fair while and rate it as one of the sweetest cars (and Porsches) I've driven.  I stopped riving it because my wife drove it and kept the keys.  So I bought a 2000 Boxster S in retaliation.  She nicked that one too.

Sure, the car is down on grunt as against what came later but in reality, the car was never designed with outright grunt in mind.

Nothing beats Boxsters into and around bends and at 15K for a reliable one, you'd be nuts not to think about them. 

I'm a fan.

Good to hear it mate... were any of yours auto-magic? 

One of these with everything stripped out bar the a/c - to say sub 1100kgs - would be mint.  The spec Boxster build series on youtube is very educational in this regard. 

Why bother with the IMS?  For a $10k car you might as well just roll the dice.  A lot more live than fail.

One of these with everything stripped out bar the a/c - to say sub 1100kgs - would be mint.  The spec Boxster build series on youtube is very educational in this regard. 

Why bother with the IMS?  For a $10k car you might as well just roll the dice.  A lot more live than fail.

And this is a permanent IMS Solution right here! 

Like any car purchase do your research know what you buying and buy the best possible car you can find ,,,,,,,,,,,,I am certain the Boxster will put a smile on your dial and give you numerous years of driving pleasure , they are a great car,,,I wouldn,t get to worked up about IMS issues I know people who have had the early 2.5 cars and never had an issues personally I think the whole IMS thing has been blow way out of proportion by online forums ,the failure rate was very low ....  

Seriously contemplating one at the moment for SMT and some daily duties to split the Ks with the Macan. Friend of a friend selling one 99, 2.5, 140k km, 1 owner FSH by dealer and recent gearbox refresh (hope they did the IMS TBC) only thing that's holding me back is its an auto would rather have a stick and he will want close to $20k but probably lower risk knowing the car and owner than trying to save a couple of grand.

A bloke I know scored one for $8000 a bit over a year ago (urgent divorce sale) after looking at some 944's as a daily, and it has not missed a beat. He loves it. Even his missus borrows it

I'd probably do that too if I needed a daily for that kinda money

You'd have to factor in the IMS bearing upgrade into the cost.

Second hand engines are now about the same money as doing the IMS!

Drive it, blow it, replace it.

There was one on gumtree a couple of weeks ago with i think 345,000klms on it!

I think the main problem with the Boxster has been styling (particularly the series 1) and perception (not a "real man's car").

Jeremy Clarkson once referred to the Boxster as a palindrome. I can see his point. They don't do much for me in the looks department, either.

But put a hard top on it, and call it a Cayman -- now you're cooking!

I have to explain to people that part of the pleasure of owning a Porsche is just looking at it when you aren't driving it. On days you don't get a drive in, you can still sneak an admiring glance or two. It's an automotive work of sculpture. That should be enough to put a smile on your face!

And that, simply, is why I'll never own a Boxster. (Also, just way too common! :P)

I have to explain to people that part of the pleasure of owning a Porsche is just looking at it when you aren't driving it. On days you don't get a drive in, you can still sneek an admiring glance or two. It's an automotive work of sculpture. That should be enough to put a smile on your face!

Liking this, as I did just that tonight. Sat on my garage stool with broken castors and a Chivas in hand just looking at the 911

I think the main problem with the Boxster has been styling (particularly the series 1) and perception (not a "real man's car").

Jeremy Clarkson once referred to the Boxster as a palindrome. I can see his point. They don't do much for me in the looks department, either.

But put a hard top on it, and call it a Cayman -- now you're cooking!

I have to explain to people that part of the pleasure of owning a Porsche is just looking at it when you aren't driving it. On days you don't get a drive in, you can still sneek an admiring glance or two. It's an automotive work of sculpture. That should be enough to put a smile on your face!

And that, simply, is why I'll never own a Boxster. (Also, just way too common! :P)

Each to their own :) but for me there is something pure about the first Boxster that I feel has been lost on the later ones, they still look nice but as any model progresses it loses some of the original intent/ design.... I would really love a yellow one!

PORSCHE-Boxster--986--2855_16.jpg

Liking this, as I did just that tonight. Sat on my garage stool with broken castors and a Chivas in hand just looking at the 911

I do this all the time Lee, partly because I work from home and can, and partly as it has spent way too much time off the road...... :wacko:

I do this all the time Lee, partly because I work from home and can, and partly as it has spent way too much time off the road...... :wacko:

Well get off your arse and sort it out mate! ;) 

Know the feeling though, as after waiting 12 or more months for the 912 to be painted, then reassembling the thing within a few days, it was frustrating to just look at it till it was ready for rego. I swear the missus was going to stab me in my sleep after my incessant 'Wish the car was finished' comments

Had a tip for a while( well ex mrs)… great fun .. great value ..I think a dodgy roof mechanism might cost you more than the IMS .. buy em drive em.. I say 

If you compare to TT, S2000, MX5 etc etc... your getting a very luxurious car.. 50% quieter than Jap cars on the road .. the TT  I guess similar ilk.

Even the earlier cars .. had two , feels very sure footed…great gymkhana car in manual...

Good go to the shops car 

I think the 2.5 is actually cooler than the later cars.  Pure & simple.

In the same way early 911 may not have the displacement and performance of later cars, they also don't have the features and fuss of later cars.

The early cars don't have side airbags so you could toss the heavy trims and make a simple RS style door trim.  Delete the console. Toss the seats and put some retro spyder buckets in.  Square weave carpet in the footwells, leave some inner tub exposed. Toss the wheels & replace with steelies.  Add vintage Porsche race livery - Yellow roundel with black number/Telefunken/Castrol/PORSCHE/

Got yourself a $15K RSK-SMT

I'm looking for a cheap silver one with red interior, manual, shit paint and interior (wont say no if its OK), good mechanicals.

Leads welcome!

Even the earlier cars .. had two , feels very sure footed…great gymkhana car in manual...

What is it with you guys and horses    

gymkhana |dʒɪmˈkɑːnə|

noun

1 an equestrian day event comprising races and other competitions on horseback, 

Archived