Boxster 2.5 is a bad Porsche, is that just a beat up?

Gymcarna

There you go fixed 

I think the 2.5 is actually cooler than the later cars.  Pure & simple.

In the same way early 911 may not have the displacement and performance of later cars, they also don't have the features and fuss of later cars.

The early cars don't have side airbags so you could toss the heavy trims and make a simple RS style door trim.  Delete the console. Toss the seats and put some retro spyder buckets in.  Square weave carpet in the footwells, leave some inner tub exposed. Toss the wheels & replace with steelies.  Add vintage Porsche race livery - Yellow roundel with black number/Telefunken/Castrol/PORSCHE/

Got yourself a $15K RSK-SMT

I'm looking for a cheap silver one with red interior, manual, shit paint and interior (wont say no if its OK), good mechanicals.

Leads welcome!

And Trev seriously - you will want an LS3 in it get real !! Screw the light weight panels

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking for a cheap silver one with red interior, manual, shit paint and interior (wont say no if its OK), good mechanicals.

Good luck with that -- the problem is that if the previous owners have let the cosmetic side of things turn to sh*t, the mechanical side of things has been almost certainly neglected as well. You want a good mechanical car, look first and foremost at a car with previous owners that have shown pride of ownership.

And Trev seriously - you will want an LS3 in it get real !! Screw the light weight panels

Jail2.jpg

Good luck with that -- the problem is that if the previous owners have let the cosmetic side of things turn to sh*t, the mechanical side of things has been almost certainly neglected as well. You want a good mechanical car, look first and foremost at a car with previous owners that have shown pride of ownership.

True that, but if I find one with a bit of clear coat failure that is in anyone else's eyes an expensive fix, and tatty seats & console I'll take the discount if mech sound.

Though I accept I may have to pay for a better one and ruin it anyway! And as you point out may be cheaper in the long run if mechanically tight, and may get some cash back selling good seats, wheels etc to offset. 

Lots of silver ones available but red interior eludes me.... 

Have thought about this in the past few months. 

Would I trade in my 86 GTS for a early 2000s Boxster? Honestly... no.

A 987 S is starting to get into the $20-$30k bracket and those are worthy of consideration, but personally if aiming for a $10k car I'd go more older charm with a 944.

As an ex boxster owner, (an S) which was a daily driver. I am now looking to get another boxster for daily duties. I was speaking to Stuart at Nineauto about a 2.5 or 2.7 he indicated the 2.7 was probably a better choice with the 3.2 having the least amount of issues. If a good 2.5 came by at a great price then why wouldn't you?

I think the 2.5 is actually cooler than the later cars.  Pure & simple.

In the same way early 911 may not have the displacement and performance of later cars, they also don't have the features and fuss of later cars.

The early cars don't have side airbags so you could toss the heavy trims and make a simple RS style door trim.  Delete the console. Toss the seats and put some retro spyder buckets in.  Square weave carpet in the footwells, leave some inner tub exposed. Toss the wheels & replace with steelies.  Add vintage Porsche race livery - Yellow roundel with black number/Telefunken/Castrol/PORSCHE/

Got yourself a $15K RSK-SMT

Leads welcome!

Been thinking a bit there Trev?  Sounds bloody good I reckon

Liking this, as I did just that tonight. Sat on my garage stool with broken castors and a Chivas in hand just looking at the 911

I find myself looking at my mustard yella old volvo wagon instead of my Porsche.

Perhaps I have issues.

Have thought about this in the past few months. 

Would I trade in my 86 GTS for a early 2000s Boxster? Honestly... no.

A 987 S is starting to get into the $20-$30k bracket and those are worthy of consideration, but personally if aiming for a $10k car I'd go more older charm with a 944.

Have you driven either? You might change your mind.

You won't much to charm in a $10K 944 these days, I'm afraid. Starting price for even a reasonable example base model are about double that now.

You won't much to charm in a $10K 944 these days, I'm afraid. Starting price for even a reasonable example base model are about double that now.

I was intending to suggest a $10- $20k 944. In the $10s I probably should have said. 

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself looking at my mustard yella old volvo wagon instead of my Porsche.

Perhaps I have issues.

Not a 850-T-R by any chance.  Didn't Porsche do a secondment of some under utilised design staff to assist with the development of that particular Volvo which co-incidentally are going for around 15k as well.  Staring into the interior would have you thinking the seats are very 911 turbo ish of that era

I have something better. An ultra rare 1974 145. Only a handful left in the country.

My brother has the 850R red wagon.. she goes! I recall some Porsche involvement in those yes.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-4503378

Got bored with Sunday night TV so applied myself to the task to buying a Boxster. Reckon this is the pick of the bunch. Right colour, well looked after, all the big things attended to. Yes it's $10k over the cheapest but you get what you pay for and it's only $25k FFS. Can't think why you'd need a more modern and expensive one. I'd buy this and try and make the interior less miserable and just enjoy.

For some reason I like the look of the white cheapy too.

My 2c.

Archived