ANCAP ratings

It beggar's belief that such a "game changer" car can score so poorly.

I thought safety and emissions targets would be at the top of the sign off sheet ; it seems "sexy brute" is more the image  they wish to convey. More fool them.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/ancap-hits-ford-mustang-with-surprise-two-star-safety-rating-51460

So the police have to back off , not surprisingly.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/mustang-back-off-the-police-radar-after-two-star-ancap-51470?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_campaign=ob_editorial_desktop

Mustang = "KILLER CAR". I've written the next headline for Ford.

In fairness to the Mustang...

"The Mustang's poorest result came from safety assist testing, scoring two points – thanks to the presence of just front passenger and driver seat-belt reminders – out of a maximum of 12. 

A lack of speed assistance systems such as speed limiter, autonomous emergency braking (AEB), lane-keep assist technology and rear-seat seat-belt reminders accounted for the 10 missed points."

Also rear occupant protection was not great......

ANCAP has lost relivance by tring to wrap up more and more items into a single index. Really should be called NANYCAP.

At a ninimum it needs to be divied into two parts. How it copes with an accident and how it helps prevent one. 

Items like rear seatbelt reminders are a waste of space and effort. Unlike the front with ocupant detectors and an alarm they are just reminders and do not ensue that the belts are actually used.

Just using a check list is also problematic as the actual ability of various assist systems varies greatly.  

The worst part is that recent changes to ANCAP mean that an older car that is 5star would not get anywhee near that now. So it is no longer compares apples to apples. 

At a ninimum it needs to be divied into two parts. How it copes with an accident and how it helps prevent one. 

Idiot lock out device. I guess that's where autonomous cars will assist.

I'm happy with paying attention whilst driving an iron horse from last century.

I have only paid passing attention to this as I am not in the market for one, but I think part of the criticism was also directed at not simply the low score but also the fact that some safety features which are standard on the Mustang in the USA are not in the cars sold in Europe and Australia.

I doubt Ford are that worried about the ANCAP score though as they selling pretty much every car they can bring into the country and when you see one on the street they are pretty striking and with the demise if the Falcon and therefore any performance derivatives, the Mustang is a compelling proposition. 

The other thing the press aren't saying is all tests were conducted on LHD euro spec cars, not RHD Aussie cars.

True:

Goodwin says ANCAP tried to crash-test the car locally, but Ford was reluctant to comply with the independent body's requests.

"This car has been on our radar for some time and we've been trying to get a rating for consumers as quickly as we can," he says.

"Unfortunately the brand was not assisting us to get a rating out for the mustang. And it's now quite clear why they weren't assisting us."

True:

Goodwin says ANCAP tried to crash-test the car locally, but Ford was reluctant to comply with the independent body's requests.

You could also ask why Porsche Australia have not given ANCAP a base 911 to test.  From what I understand, autonomous emergency braking isn't standard, so that makes the Porsche a 2 star car, at best, also.

You could also ask why Porsche Australia have not given ANCAP a base 911 to test.  From what I understand, autonomous emergency braking isn't standard, so that make the Porsche a 2 star car at best also.

I bet rear seat occupants don't do well in a 911 either.

I would like to see the boffins get an Adult Test Dummy in the rear of a 911.

Seriously does anyone think an American car would indeed do well in any test? I mean this is a country that sees compulsory seat belt wearing as an infringement of personal liberty and their quality control is third world. Yes sound good and fast in s straight line but don't expect too much more... 

As for safety standards, seat belt warning buzzers and other worthless secondary measures should not impact a score as much as dynamic areas such engineering strength of a chassis, good brakes and suspension but this now is seen as a secondary consideration after the number of airbags a car has... It's all now driven by the lowest common denominator which is general driving incompetence 

We have all driven cars from decades past 60 ,70 ,80s etc I am certain some of us have had accidents in those old cars and are still here today ,,,,I don,t buy cars because of B.S government safety ratings ,,,,,,,,,,all round performance and driving pleasure are I my first concerns when buying not how well a car rates in a frontal collision or side impact ...I do try to avoid accidents while driving ,,,further more I have decided not to get ice with my drinks from now on as there is a risk I could choke to death on the ice " Frozen Water deadly "..........:P This country really is a nanny state ,wrap me up in cotton wool and high vise tape ...........:lol::lol:

What a load of crap

They just got the sooks on because they didnt get their own way! Typical Australian standards

Has it damaged Mustang sales in Australia? No it hasn't,  because there are loads of them on the road, and most buyers purchase a vehicle on looks and power rather than safety. Just because they assume the car doesn't pass some of their often ridiculous guidelines, they shitcan it publicly. What they want is everyone to buy some enviromentally friendly, safe, boring car that will probably lose 70% of its value as soon as you drive off the sales lot, and good to be crushed for a bunch of Coke cans in a few years

The other thing the press aren't saying is all tests were conducted on LHD euro spec cars, not RHD Aussie cars.

How so? Car manufacturers dont supply cars to ANCAP, they buy the car. Where would they have bought a new LHD Euro spec Mustang in Australia or New Zealand? 

They don't just select a car at random and test it either, they test all new models that are available in the consumer market.

How so? Car manufacturers dont supply cars to ANCAP, they buy the car. Where would they have bought a new LHD Euro spec Mustang in Australia or New Zealand? 

They don't just select a car at random and test it either, they test all new models that are available in the consumer market.

The Mustang was not tested in Australia, the test we are all discussing was conducted in Europe on a LHD car, Australia's ANCAP just ran with the results.

They don't test all new models either, no supercar has ever been tested, and many sportscars are not tested either.

What a load of crap

They just got the sooks on because they didnt get their own way! Typical Australian standards

Has it damaged Mustang sales in Australia? No it hasn't,  because there are loads of them on the road, and most buyers purchase a vehicle on looks and power rather than safety. Just because they assume the car doesn't pass some of their often ridiculous guidelines, they shitcan it publicly. What they want is everyone to buy some enviromentally friendly, safe, boring car that will probably lose 70% of its value as soon as you drive off the sales lot, and good to be crushed for a bunch of Coke cans in a few years

Unfortunately there are less safety features on the car as sold in Europe than in America:

From an American website:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01/europe-declares-ford-mustang-unsafest-new-vehicle-road/

The U.S. market enjoys a higher level of standard safety equipment, as well as a significantly better safety rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and NHTSA. Naturally, Europeans aren’t happy about this.

“Ford did not expect Euro NCAP to test the Mustang, and chose not to fit safety technology in Europe, which is available to its American consumers, and available on several other sports cars for that matter,” said Euro NCAP Secretary General Michiel van Ratingen in a statement. “Such an attitude to safety should trouble Ford’s customers, whether they are buying a high-powered muscle car, or a regular family car.”

Not sure what part of what I said was a load of crap?

Not sure what part of what I said was a load of crap?

Sorry mate, not what YOU said, just the whole ANCAP thing. They insist on these safety features, yet the road toll increases every year. That's mainly because there are a shedload more people on the roads, yet I'd rather have a stack in my old '78 911 than a new car thats paper thin, or have an airbag poke my eye out

I'm sure there are millions of cars on the road that are nowhere near as safe as a new Mustang. All they've done is raised the safety bar up for manufacturers to adhere to

I'm sure there are millions of cars on the road that are nowhere near as safe as a new Mustang. All they've done is raised the safety bar up for manufacturers to adhere to

as you know, I've worked in the vehicle design industry (amongst others). There's quite a few cars that I would not step foot in, nor allow my kids to drive.  A lot of the newer brands from Asia are very pooly designed with regard to basic occupant safety. On the surface they look ok, but under all the pvc and padding, there's some realy dodgy stuff. But they are slowly improving.

as you know, I've worked in the vehicle design industry (amongst others). There's quite a few cars that I would not step foot in, nor allow my kids to drive.  A lot of the newer brands from Asia are very pooly designed with regard to basic occupant safety. On the surface they look ok, but under all the pvc and padding, there's some realy dodgy stuff. But they are slowly improving.

Not related to the Mustang but would be interested in what your view on what some of the safest cars are, and how far back you need to go before a 5 star car of x years ago is not as safe as it sounds (as someone pointed out above).

On another note, some people may have missed that the Mustang seemed to have more wrong with it than missing seatbelt warnings - like the airbag not stopping the test dummy from smacking its head on the steering wheel for one.

Agree it won't stop them selling. Someone did a study years ago that showed people would take "mag wheels" over safety features... That's why it's important safety standards are mandated.

Archived