Building a garage in Bronte

turboT

• 4 weeks later...

Coming from the UK the existing building has a certain 'council estate' aesthetic to it. 

Oh I dunno. Grim industrial has made its way from uber trendy places like Birmingham & Berlin to developing cities all over the world.

Or , you could get a few carjackers together and get the facade painted for that gritty urban look. Suit the car perfectly :P And bespoke.

As long as the wife is involved , no dramas.

Think that's called urban poverty and unemployment Taz ;) 

Oh yeah we got lots of that around here , 150m from where the PFAers breakfasted recently , today's headline lol 

http://www.news.com.au/national/tasmania/sentosa-at-sandy-bay-sets-new-record-real-estate-price-after-selling-for-65-million-to-tasmanian-buyer/news-story/3c0f1c1b047f72ad488ff8f80fe3106f

We got unused bike lanes too. Pristine!

site visit yesterday 5 weeks before settling on the property and moving in. Down to one garage space until we start construction. Coming from the UK the existing building has a certain 'council estate' aesthetic to it. Car looks like its been nicked and dumped outside 

IMG_9336_zpsyyiyyioo.jpg

agree. reminds me of this haha!
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/majority-brisbane-architects-found-legally-blind/

Agree. 

we decided to get cheap

Big & cheap is always ugly. Building a box is not thinking outside the square , and similar powerpoint dot point statements.
Put the cars on the top storey . a nice Mr Bueller approach to enjoying the cars and the view simultaneously. 

Must admit, first time I saw the photos of the house I immediately thought "looks just like the old Moss Side council estate housing in Manchester I used to drive past everyday" but decided to keep that thought to myself.

Much like said council estate, you're doing the right thing and knocking it down ?

Finally got a chance to meet with my Architect again today.  30mins and a couple of beers and we recon we might have figured out how to give OTLW a view  of the OCEAN. One advantage of a really steep  block is you have a load of air space to fill. Hoping to get some initial 3d renders back tonight. 

Been checking out this guy (kornbrownhouses) alot on INSTA. Very talented architect in Thailand who knows how to display a Porsche

Untitled-3_zpsfnv5f6te.jpg

Untitled-4_zpsyuylc2jg.jpg

My kids regularly say I love my cars more than them when they're mad at me. I always respond that it's true.

And I also like to answer Yes because the car gives me far less problems than you two do .......

All the best with this project Tom. I am going through all this at the moment and we have had 8 different neighbours put rejections into council about our plans. Council has agreed nothing wrong with our plans so now just waiting to see if the neighbours are going to take us to Vcat. Soaks up a lot of waisted time. I hope you have better luck than me!!!

All the best with this project Tom. I am going through all this at the moment and we have had 8 different neighbours put rejections into council about our plans. Council has agreed nothing wrong with our plans so now just waiting to see if the neighbours are going to take us to Vcat. Soaks up a lot of waisted time. I hope you have better luck than me!!!

went through the same on my last build. Expecting a lot of flack but as long as we know which rules to bend council, we are hoping,will be ok. I found an old council DA submission on one of our immediate neighbours the other day - they had 35 objections and that was back in 2002 so pre a lot of online stuff. Fully expecting to be setting new records in this department..

I'm sure lots of folks have seen this but thought I would post it... i dunno how this guy gets any work done but like the shared living areas with couch facing the car and work station behind.  Great lighting too.  Something like this could work in the above render if the central wall wasn't there... just a thought :)

Would rather have a garage I can actually work on my car thanks. A tilt ramp to roll it out? 'Thunderbirrrrrds are go!' ;) 

agree... I'm guessing the owner has other cars elsewhere in the house for daily duties etc where he could also work on things too