Building a garage in Bronte

turboT

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, turboT said:

Initial pricing only came in $1.5m over budget...Bronte tax is f*#ked.

Has give me a chance to revisit the design. Will likely need a re submission to council but in no rush. Looking to get this one built in a factory in Melbourne

09%20003_zpspwkjz9is.jpg

Look up Dynamic Steel Frame @turboT they would be right down this alley. Mention my name. 

21 hours ago, hugh said:

Did Modscape come up with the design or did you take a design to them? Colours on the images just indicative at this stage? 

Interested to hear about the process. 

design by me Hugh.  Worked with a mate on the original DA, but pricing was ridiculous, largely due to the amount of excavation required. In redesigning I am looking at sitting the whole structure off the existing topography.  Idea is to use Modscape for the build/engineering. Colours/Materials a work in progress, but definitely going for a white box  - modern take on weatherboard beach house I guess..

The process to far has been a little challenging, but largely because i think I am the first client to come to them with with a design. Managing the process from start to finish I am sure they are good. What appeals most is the speed of construction, which means in theory we will only be out of our house for 4 months. All the detail I will either be doing or no doubt challenging the way they are doing things. Ultimately you can do anything with them as long at the modules are no wider than 5.5m and longer than 17m. Their basic finish package is actually not that bad, but I will likely document most joinery items and potentially get things like the kitchen made locally. 

12 hours ago, KGB said:

You’ve been watching re-runs of Grand Designs Australia. Clovelly House. Interesting process.

that house was shocking...but yes similar process. This will be all steel frame and hopefully higher quality finish.  

On 6/25/2018 at 12:02 PM, sleazius said:

Although this is something that doesn't appeal to my tastes, I know it would suit the area.

Document as much as possible, it always makes for a fun read. I read your last house / garage project thread from start to finish and it was great.

does this appeal to your taste ?

25%20002_zpsnexpyv4m.jpg

15 hours ago, turboT said:

does this appeal to your taste ?

25%20002_zpsnexpyv4m.jpg

Cheating!

Looks amazing. I was only meaning that the street appeal isn't there for me. That has zero bearing on outlook or interior design. Some of the coolest spaces I've seen are inside warehouses.

Now we just have to add in the balustrade to the outdoor terrace, glazing system/frames and any other structural requirements whilst maintaining the simplicity. Therein lies the game. I think we should also talk materials as well, I like the simplicity but I'm nervous of it not being too pre-fabby (if there is such a word?) I'm sure you know what I mean....................