For Sale - 1983 SC - Fully restored

I have decided to sell my 1983 Zinc Metallic 911SC.  It’s been a long process to come to this point but with a 964 in the garage I can’t justify keeping both anymore.

I bought the SC in 2009 after searching around for approximately 12 months.  I was looking for a silver one and it took a while before something I wanted came to market.  It is a UK car (originally delivered to Ireland) and was brought here to Australia in 2009.  Back in 2010 I contacted the two preceding owners, who both used it as a weekend car.  Prior to that I believe it was a daily driver.  It has travelled 221,000kms.  In 2009 it had 215,000.

When I took ownership the car was in good condition but needed a bit of a clean up.  My intention was to progressively tidy it up and eventually have a really nice example of a mid 911 to keep long term.

As we all know one thing leads to another and after 6 months I decided to pull out the suspension for a bit of a refresh.  This was the start of a full restoration and refresh of every aspect of the car.  I started a blog on the project which provides a very detailed pictorial account of the work that was done.  You can visit the site at: www.project911sc.wordpress.com.  If you are seriously interested in this car it's worth reading through it.

I could write a very long and potentially boring account of all the work that has been done, but to summarise everything that needed doing was done.  Everything that did not present as new or function as new was replaced, repaired or refinished.  The details of the work are as follows:

Engine:  This was rebuilt by Darren Bell at Autocoupe.  It has new 98mm LN Engineering cylinders with JE pistons, so is now a 3.2 short stroke setup.  The cams have been upgraded to early S which provide exceptional torque and drivability.  I decided to remove the MFI and replace with PMO 46mm carbs.  The induction noise from these is amazing.  Exhaust is an SSI system and Dansk Sport 2 in – 1 out.  All hardware has been refinished including engine tin, clamps, etc.  Engine cooler has been replaced, oil tank cleaned and refinished, oil lines cleaned and front cooler flushed.  There is a lot to talk about with this rebuild and I have all receipts to evidence the extent of the work (and cost!)

Transmission:  Yes, it’s the beloved 915!  I personally love these when they are set up correctly.  The operation is very solid with all new bushes and Rennshift shifter.  The gearbox itself was completely stripped and any gears, syncro’s, part were replaced as required.  My instruction to Darren Bell at the time to was do everything required to ensure it shifts like new.

Body:  The bodywork was already very good but I decided a respray was needed.  All relevant panels were removed and sprayed with Glasurit (also used Glasurit primer and seal underneath) as this is the factory brand.  The final clear was not sanded polished as I wanted a factory look, although it could be buffed to a glass ‘show car’ look if the buyer wanted that look.  Underneath the entire surface was cleaned and recoated in grey Wurth SKS.  I then applied a couple of light coats of matt clear to make it easier to keep clean.  All the little plugs and grommets are new, as with most of these items around the car.

Front Boot:  This was also completely stripped, painted and all items were either cleaned, refinished or replaced when reinstalling.  The tank has been cleaned and recoated, all ventilation hoses are new and I replaced the cardboard cover with a perforated Rennline part.  The master cylinder has been refinished and I also fully cleaned and serviced the fuse box.  The standard battery has been replaced with a lightweight unit that sits in a Rennline aluminium housing.  Even the jack was restored, however I left the spare untouched as I didn’t feel the need to remove the space saving tyre to repaint it.

Suspension and steering:  All suspension was removed and mostly refinished in either powder coat or 2 pack.  Relevant parts like the swing arms were replated but the drop links are new.  All bushes and ball joints have been replaced and steering rack was completely rebuilt by Autocoupe.  The axles are new, as are the droplinks and some hardware.  The torsion bars are hollow versions from Sway-Away and are 22/28.  The result is a slightly firmer ride but not harsh and in my opinion the car is very well balanced and very enjoyable for a spirited road drive.

Brakes: These are essentially standard but were split, ultrasonically cleaned and once assembled were baked to ensure a perfect seal.  All pistons and seals are new.  Rotors and pads are also new.  The hubs were machined and bearings replaced.  Most brakes lines have been replaced including the flexible lines to the callipers.

Seals:  As you’d expect with a near complete disassembly most seals are new.  This included front windscreen seal, door seals, panel seals, side window seals and felt, engine seals, sunroof, bonnet seal.  Pretty much all of them!

Interior:  I decided to replace the seats with lightweight versions which I love.  They are very comfortable, have a classis look and only weight about 4-5kgs each.  I replaced the carpet and also re-dyed all the vinyl to make it look new.  The belts are sent to Hemco for refurbishment.  I have removed the centre console but I still have it and can be easily installed.  I did restore that as well, including new vinyl.  The floor boards were replaced with Rennline perforated boards but I have glued vinyl to the back to keep it looking neater.  The passenger floor board is for a non air conditioning car and I made a bracket so that it seats in line with the driver board.  This way the passenger has proper leg room and it looks much better given the position of both boards match.  I also made a foot rest to improve the look and function.  Steering wheel is a Momo Prototipo (also new) and I managed to locate an early 5 speed gear knob – another finishing touch I really like.

Stereo:  I don’t usually turn it on but I installed a Blaupunkt Toronto radio and have an alpine amp under one seat and a slim sub under the other.  These are both attached to the carpet only and I wasn’t going to screw into the floor!  Speakers look stock but they are Rockford Fosgate splits installed behind factory grills.

Wheels and Tyres:  Standard wheels are 6 & 7 Fuchs but I moved the 7’s to the front and purchased genuine 8’s for the rear.  They have been finished in satin black and polished outers.  I had Neway wheels ensure they ran true and tyres have been fitted and turned so minimal weights need to keep the balance.  Tyres are Bridgestone RE001 – 225/50/16 on the back and 205/55/16 on the front.

The car is immaculate and I haven’t seen too many 911’s of this era that have had the same level of detail applied to a refurb.  There are many amazing cars owned by members of PFA and I think my SC would be very well regarded by those that have seen it.

If you consider the cost of an everyday SC at around $80,000 and add in everything that has been done to my car it would become as extremely expensive exercise.  I’d expect that anyone considering this car would know what it costs to do all the work I’ve done, not the least being around $45K for engine and gearbox.  I have all receipts form all work and purchases but never been reckless enough to add them all up.

Hopefully I have covered everything but am happy to add more detail if required.  As you can imagine there is nothing the car needs in terms of maintenance or repair.  I enjoy driving it almost as much as looking at it, in fact I’ve probably spent more time cleaning it than driving it.

It is with a heavy heart that I am selling but the decision has been made.  I’ll be willing to discuss offers over $125,000.

rearside1.jpg

frontside3.jpg

rearside2.jpg

frontside1.jpg

interiorfront2.jpg

interiorrear.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine1.jpg

img_0663.jpg

frontboot1.jpg

frontboot2.jpg

underneath1.jpg

img_6703.jpg

Finally a short video that doesn't do justice to the sound of the engine :)

Looks amazing!

+1

WOW........that looks sensational.    I feel for you having to let it go.   only way I can describe it is ...WOW

Good luck with the sale, although I don't think you will need any luck with that one, that should sell itself....  

Having seen this car in person I could vouch for the condition and the detail that has been put into this build. Honestly the best looking impact bumper I have seen in person. Hope you find the right buyer. Such a ripper 

Having seen this car in person I could vouch for the condition and the detail that has been put into this build. Honestly the best looking impact bumper I have seen in person. Hope you find the right buyer. Such a ripper 

Thanks Steve.  I really appreciate the comments.  I'm looking forward to seeing your car soon!

As an update I have had some interest in the car already.  Nothing firm as yet and I will make sure anyone who has contacted me will get the opportunity to discuss further before it is sold.

I haven't advertised the car elsewhere yet as I'm hoping a PFA member is the one to take it over.

Finally, thank you all for the kind comments.  It's not helping my separation anxieties though!!

Just another dirty import. Nobody will want it. It will be hard to sell. It's nearly worthless :D

It's not often I will say this about a 200,000kms plus ex UK car, but with the condition, work, spec etc, I think it is more than fairly priced. I think somewhere like CTS would have it priced higher, but then you have to pay their commission.

GLWS. 

Archived