Seat Tartan

Pork Chops

Where does one go to get this?  I've found plenty of places that sell tartans but don't want to fall in love with a design and find out it's not made in an appropriate format for car seats.  While we're on what topic what is appropriate for car seats as far as fabric is concerned.  Anyone got a technical spec?

Many thanks.

Where does one go to get this?  I've found plenty of places that sell tartans but don't want to fall in love with a design and find out it's not made in an appropriate format for car seats.  While we're on what topic what is appropriate for car seats as far as fabric is concerned.  Anyone got a technical spec?

Many thanks.

I'm in the process of buying fabric for my 924 and Jr's 944 .....

Go to .... www.werk924.com ... and they have nearly every fabric supplied by Porsche.

It in German but not hard to navigate.

Just go to the "shop" tab and knock yourself out .... :D

From here, they say the following...

We do love the random nature of our work and today we have been helping a customer choose which tartan fabric to use to re-cover the seats of his Porsche! This is not the first time we have supplied tartan fabric to upholster car seats and the Porsche is certainly the most common request, but we have also supplied fabric for Mini Cooper, VW camper van interior deco and long distance lorry driver’s curtains. We recommend the polyviscose tartan fabric as it is hard wearing and washable. Just in case your Porsche needs a makeover!

I'm in the process of buying fabric for my 924 and Jr's 944 .....

Go to .... www.werk924.com ... and they have nearly every fabric supplied by Porsche.

It in German but not hard to navigate.

Just go to the "shop" tab and knock yourself out .... :D

Some interesting patterns there.  Funnily enough some stuff very similar to what I was looking at yesterday, but coming from a perspective of pixelated, geometric, camouflage designs! Thanks.

Auto Foreign  Service? , I think we're doing a hypercaccurate tum of houndstooth . Though may have stopped

I wouldn't discount salvos etc. years past I've found some cool fabrics .. you could also go real funky and use plaid patterned electric blankies converted to run off 12v

Guys

a good mate of mine, here in Melbourne who carries out work on several older generation 911s, has got several different rolls of tartan That are exact patterns of what our cars had back in the 70s.  I'm happy for you to contact me and I can pass his details on. 

richard.

• 2 weeks later...

When I recently purchased my BF Torino seats through Phil Lack in Melbourne, I had Phil supply some additional Houndstooth material to recover my back seats in the same style.

My BF Torino Nurburgring seats:

LePoIHP.jpg

The Houndstooth material is approximately 8mm thick, inclusive of top material, foam & a fine material backing:

9GCHDiZ.jpg

Edited by 81SC
Photobucket pfft

• 1 year later...
On 29/04/2017 at 11:23, Pork Chops said:

From here, they say the following...

We do love the random nature of our work and today we have been helping a customer choose which tartan fabric to use to re-cover the seats of his Porsche! This is not the first time we have supplied tartan fabric to upholster car seats and the Porsche is certainly the most common request, but we have also supplied fabric for Mini Cooper, VW camper van interior deco and long distance lorry driver’s curtains. We recommend the polyviscose tartan fabric as it is hard wearing and washable. Just in case your Porsche needs a makeover!

Some interesting patterns there.  Funnily enough some stuff very similar to what I was looking at yesterday, but coming from a perspective of pixelated, geometric, camouflage designs! Thanks.

Hey Nick,

im currently looking at redoing my seats and have the same question about the fabric, eg. what’s polyviscose feel like, is pure wool too fleecy, too soft, too hard, etc... a mate of mine has a GTI and the tartan seats feel like canvas... yuk! Is that polyviscose? Anyway was wondering where you ended up with this thread, did you work out what’s the most suitable fabric type for a car seat? 

In terms of theme, I’m loving the classic houndstooth but.... leaning towards a bit more bling... with some tartan.

phil

• 6 months later...

I bought official German dress Mackenzie beige from lakewell in Belgium. http://www.lakewell.com/

Turns out my car may not have had this tartan. I have 2m2 which is enough for two seats. 

Cost me close to 600$ delivered

if not needed it will be up for sale by the end of the month

053A9FB7-6789-4C73-A588-A71955C64B50.jpeg

28EE6039-68F2-4C05-8882-69781FFCC7F9.png

• 5 months later...
On 29/05/2019 at 17:49, Aintgotitmusthaveit said:

I bought official German dress Mackenzie beige from lakewell in Belgium. http://www.lakewell.com/

Turns out my car may not have had this tartan. I have 2m2 which is enough for two seats. 

Cost me close to 600$ delivered

if not needed it will be up for sale by the end of the month

053A9FB7-6789-4C73-A588-A71955C64B50.jpeg

28EE6039-68F2-4C05-8882-69781FFCC7F9.png

Did you use this fabric? I would be interested in buying it if you still have it?

I bought Scottish red/black/white peptia from a supplier in Scotland in pure wool for my '68.  Outstanding product.  I added Scotchgard also but it held up very well. I am not sure what original Porsche Tartan was woven from but it stood up well (1977-2019).

IMG_0247.JPG