Richard Hammond crash

Carbon fibre and lithium is a Marriage made in hell. That is what our roads will look like when our resident coke and ice heads start having high speed crashes on our roads. But wait, autonomous driving will save us! 

Fires like this one and the clean up will be a real problem for our firies and ambos!

The footage : I can't quite see how that happened ? Bald tyres by the look of it!

"With a total output of 811 kW (1,088 hp), an acceleration from 0–97 km/h (0–60 mph) in 2.8 seconds"

Probably best suited to an runway , young man.

Honestly looks like he was going too fast, a bit of a panic brake at the start of that chicane when he's realised the corner is tighter than he thought. There was no way he was making that corner at that speed.

I kind of hope he slows down, it would be a shame to lose him.

Carbon fibre and lithium is a Marriage made in hell. That is what our roads will look like when our resident coke and ice heads start having high speed crashes on our roads. But wait, autonomous driving will save us! 

Fires like this one and the clean up will be a real problem for our firies and ambos!

I have often wondered how the rescue services deal with a car that has a huge electrical charge and the toxic or explosive issues of what the batteries are made from ,,,I believe a lithium ion battery fire is self sustaining once it is alight and is very difficult to put out ,,,,,would like to hear from members who are fireman "Jeff "about these problems from their perspective just interested ... 

We all have an 'I'm into here too quick' moment, and I reckon by the way the car kinked a bit sideways, he was a bit too hot into the corner. Glad he's ok though. Bet his family are going to rip into him after he said he was going to slow down recently

Had the wrong line into the prior corner, all the battery weight wouldn't have helped either.

Main thing is he's okay, but agree he probably wants to have a think about the fast driving stuff in future.  Wonder if he was in a harness with HANS?  Didn't look like it from the photos before the run 

I have often wondered how the rescue services deal with a car that has a huge electrical charge and the toxic or explosive issues of what the batteries are made from ,,,I believe a lithium ion battery fire is self sustaining once it is alight and is very difficult to put out ,,,,,would like to hear from members who are fireman "Jeff "about these problems from their perspective just interested ... 

It is a real issue. To be honest we don't have that much training in that specifically, but we should do more. Houses are a real issue now as we disconnect the power from the street as soon as we arrive, but si many houses have solar now which is still making power as long as there is sun.

Glad that he is ok... perhaps he should be called the Cat or Moggie now (change from Hamster) - 9 lives and all or should it be 7 lives now...

6. He's had 3 big ones now. The rocket car that very nearly killed him, the bike not that long ago that ko'd him, and now this one

6. He's had 3 big ones now. The rocket car that very nearly killed him, the bike not that long ago that ko'd him, and now this one

3 head injuries that we know of. Sooner or later his judgement will be impaired. The question is , how many head injuries is enough to make  driver dangerous?

The sooner a man realises he is not immortal , the happier his family becomes.

It is a real issue. To be honest we don't have that much training in that specifically, but we should do more. Houses are a real issue now as we disconnect the power from the street as soon as we arrive, but si many houses have solar now which is still making power as long as there is sun.

And in the near future batteries with over 36 megajoules stored in them. Seems some house will need a "do not even bother" sign out the front. 

3 head injuries that we know of. Sooner or later his judgement will be impaired. The question is , how many head injuries is enough to make  driver dangerous?

The sooner a man realises he is not immortal , the happier his family becomes.

Especially after he told his family after the bike crash he'll take it easier, as they're more important. Oops! 

it's the dirty little secret of the electric car industry.  Quite a few tesla fires - everyone has got away safely because it starts slowish - but once it is runaway, no stopping it.  It stops when it burns out.   Any type of penetration of the batter pack brings the risk- and because of the way they are spread through the the car there are plenty of places to enter the pack.

Bolting big battery packs to the sides of houses - what could go wrong?

distressing to know the firies have no training - they could easily get hurt attending if high voltage is still happening.  No idea if it does.

it's the dirty little secret of the electric car industry.  Quite a few tesla fires - everyone has got away safely because it starts slowish - but once it is runaway, no stopping it.  It stops when it burns out.   Any type of penetration of the batter pack brings the risk- and because of the way they are spread through the the car there are plenty of places to enter the pack.

Bolting big battery packs to the sides of houses - what could go wrong?

distressing to know the firies have no training - they could easily get hurt attending if high voltage is still happening.  No idea if it does.

an additional problem is the carbonfibte fibres released in an accident too. Think asbestos and you are in the same ball bark. 

The whole ownership model will have to change as the average numpty will not be able to maintain these battery systems and in most case also not be able to afford it. Lots of fires to come and lots of environmental toxicity. But it is really "green" so it's all ok then. I don't think you will own a car in the not to distant future. It will all be subscription based and you pay a bit for for a fancier car subscription if you want to and you just order it to be there when you need it. If not invented yet then I am claiming it now. ?

I imagine you could be travelling a lot faster than you realise without 8000rpm flat 6 hammering away to remind you.  Speed would creep up on you especially with >1000hp.  Possibly a factor in the crash, certainky looked too hot into that corner.

The drop off at that corner should invite a safety barrier, should it not? Those roads get snowy.
Was his driving judgement THAT bad , or was there a technical problem? Was he chatting to the gopro at the time? The blackbox will be fried.
At least the coroner won't be involved, but there will be repercussions. Not great publicity for either driver or car.
"Middle aged men shouldn't go up ladders"

Archived