Repairable Write-off Boxster - would anyone buy one?

Just looking for comments on repairable write off vehicles please.  In my search for a Boxster I have come across several repairable write offs.  Normally I would never consider but have seen a 987 Boxster for sale - repairable write off due to fresh water damage in 2011.  Any comments would be appreciated cheers

They're cheap enough with logs etc in good condition. 

The future could have expensive repairs so it's a No from me. 

Although in our recent floods we saw cars written off with water only up to the floor level. Carpet damage really.

I wouldn't with freshwater damage.

It depends on the discount.  It will be harder to sell and depreciate more.  If you can get it for a good price and enjoy driving one, why not?  If I was planning on getting a Boxster to daily drive and put x00,000ks on it I would go for it, it will be a parts car by the end anyway.

Yes, I would. Same debate as the lower value imported cars to me, if repaired properly then fine. If you are doing to keep long term then it is more of a yes as any unforseen issues will have been found and fixed thus mostly/ partly negating lower resale value - in 5, 10 or even 20 years time will it really matter?!. If you are buying just to repair and flip, may not be so easy.

I wouldn't with freshwater damage.

Why not with fresh water? Has to be way better than salt water?!

Thanks for all the comments.  The 987 in question was repaired ages ago and from all reports, has been fine.  The current owner apparently discovered it as a repairable write off when he went to trade it in a few months ago.  He had purchased it at the auto auctions a few years earlier and hadn't done his checks.

Thanks for all the comments.  The 987 in question was repaired ages ago and from all reports, has been fine.  The current owner apparently discovered it as a repairable write off when he went to trade it in a few months ago.  He had purchased it at the auto auctions a few years earlier and hadn't done his checks.

Yes, I would buy one.

But it would need to be a 50% discount to normal 

Flood damage (salt or fresh) is a lurking time bomb.  Corrosion on wiring, corrosion on body.  Things can be fine for a long time then stuff starts to go wrong.  I agree it could be fine but would want to see very detailed repair quotes and invoices.  If it was a write off a lot of stuff had to get fixed.

I have a car that was written off due to fresh water flood damage. It's flawless. The alarm unit was replaced and that's it. 13 years later, there's zero sign of any problem whatsoever. Case by case

I drove a landrover through the flood water .. up to the top of the motor ….. ;)

Porsche in water surely would be fine .. but do think of resale .. special kinda Porsche anorak buyers

50% off

I have a car that was written off due to fresh water flood damage. It's flawless. The alarm unit was replaced and that's it. 13 years later, there's zero sign of any problem whatsoever. Case by case

it was written off for an alarm?

I just had a Cayenne written off due to water ingress through the sunroof.

The reason it was written off is because the repairer said that they would never guarantee the repairs as its possible that something else will fail as a result of the water ....

I would never buy a write off..... personal preference. Don't need the stigma or potential problems.

Odd story from the owner though .... auction houses have to guarantee the title ... that includes write off and finance owing.

I have owned a few repairable write offs now. Like @FAP911 said, they are very hard to sell. So if you are going to buy one. Do a through PPI to make sure the car is in decent condition, but make sure you get a VERY good discount, as many people will not even consider it at any price. I would generally expect it to be around a 20% discount over market value. Whenever I sold one, it was always the cheapest of it's type on the market by a long way and they were still a nightmare to sell.

Offer a stupidly low price, clean it up with as little cash as possible, then thrash the crap out of it and not give a toss about it's value. But thats me

Sounds like a solid plan to me - write off or not!

Archived