we are not alone

brian in buddina

On a recent drive down to Byron the discussion got around to the elusive coffee cup holder or lack there of. We, the front engine fraternity, are not alone! Even more modern P cars have no place to secure your brew. Some P cars don't even have a glove box to store stuff. Well an enterprising P car pilot has the solution. 

This is sure to be a major topic at the next FEP Society meet up at Hinze Dam.

Coastr

Does your vintage a/c have any cup holders? @grantmr , relatively modern,  boxster doesn't have either a cup holder or glove box, probably something to do with maintaining an optimum centre of gravity. So Grantmr's coffee cup solution is pretty good. The front engine transaxle era cars at least have a glove box but no cup holder.

Coastr

Does your vintage a/c have any cup holders? @grantmr , relatively modern,  boxster doesn't have either a cup holder or glove box, probably something to do with maintaining an optimum centre of gravity. So Grantmr's coffee cup solution is pretty good. The front engine transaxle era cars at least have a glove box but no cup holder.

you can jam a water bottle in the side pocket but I am too precious about the interior for that.  I find if you fold the rear seat down and slide a water bottle between the back and the seat base it holds snug.  

Besides, I have a 915.  I need both hands to get it into 2nd gear when it's cold.

I find a coffee fits very well in my 911 door pocket. I have yet to determine a suitable coffee holder in the 924.

I did see a picture where someone converted the ashtray to a dual cup holder in a 924 which had a factory look to it.

997 Cupholders are for wearing coffee not drinking it ….  993 no nada no cup holders , although a bottle of water can be laid  in the centre console, for that futuristic water-cooled driver outlook

I did see a picture where someone converted the ashtray to a dual cup holder in a 924 which had a factory look to it.

Rod C

I've thought about this solution of under utilised piece of prime real-estate. I will try & find this photo in google images. But it seems to me, that any useful sized cup would get in the way of shifting. And as the depth under the ash tray is pretty shallow, would only be good for small & short cups.

I'm looking for a high G rating solution.

Seriously, who carries coffee with them, so busy and time poor you can't drink it at source.  :rolleyes:

Besmirching perfectly good German automobiles with aftermarket cup holders...

Get in car, drive, smile on face, stop at coffee shop, drink coffee and talk shit, everyone knows this is what we do right, get back in car and drive twisties, who has time to drink coffee in a Porsche?

Seriously, who carries coffee with them, so busy and time poor you can't drink it at source.  :rolleyes:

Besmirching perfectly good German automobiles with aftermarket cup holders...

also good for stopping your 9 mm or glock from flying around the car 

As much as I agree about not drinking on the job often the good roads are a highway schlep away, plus an early start.  Both of which lend themselves to drinking a coffee.

1412263414708_wps_19_image001_png.jpg

If you have access to a 3D printer and a 13 yr old they can probably knock you up something pretty quick to use some of those odd shaped recesses. I just typed "3D printed cup holder Porsche" into google and heaps of stuff came up. There is even a Rennlist thread!

@KGB

couple zip ties to the head rest

half a meter of small diameter hose 

voilà

no need for a cup holder at all

I like it.  Pump it with the back of your noggin straight into a hose and down the gullet. No mess no fuss.

Archived