Is the manual 993 variant of the 911 the most tightly held Porsche

Having watched the 911 market closely over many years I've recently been thinking about the amount of manual 993's that have been for sale. I don't have any stats on this though and may be off the mark however they appear to be very tightly held.

Any views on this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 911's, that's my view too.  Those who buy manual 993's seem to hold on to them for a long time.

Quite different to manual 964 C2's and Carrera 3.o's which generally seem to have much much shorter ownership cycle times.  C3.2's seem to be in the middle with SC's being a touch longer than 3.2's.

I suspect these 4 cars appeal to very different enthusiasts which could be an amusing exercise to stereotype their characteristics.

993s in general seem to be held quite well wether in manual or Tip versions.

IMO they are the pinnacle of air cooled development with 6-speed box, abs, hydraulic lifters and a classic, comfortable interior.

But I’m biased!

9 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

Having watched the 911 market closely over many years I've recently been thinking about the amount of 993's that have been for sale. I don't have any stats on this though and may be off the mark however they appear to be very tightly held.

Any views on this?

Off the mark. Funny how people can come up with any stat they like when it suites. Have you checked carsales today? They (993) appear to be more of a hard sell to me,with plenty on the market,unrealistic prices and not too many moving fast (I remember one member here trying very hard to quit a tip out byron way ). Trying to compare different series to others doesn't always work as owners are individuals with different curcumstances. The perious owner of my 4 owner c3.o owned it for 15 yrs, myself eleven and counting, my other 77 and 79 have had 2 owners each before me. Is that what tightly held means?

50 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Off the mark. Funny how people can come up with any stat they like when it suites. Have you checked carsales today? They (993) appear to be more of a hard sell to me,with plenty on the market,unrealistic prices and not too many moving fast (I remember one member here trying very hard to quit a tip out byron way ). Trying to compare different series to others doesn't always work as owners are individuals with different curcumstances. The perious owner of my 4 owner c3.o owned it for 15 yrs, myself eleven and counting, my other 77 and 79 have had 2 owners each before me. Is that what tightly held means?

@dipstick I  asked for views however I DID NOT ASK for a pointed attack this is a forum for Porsche discussion for enthusiasts of the brand, my comment was openly unqualified, so save your judgemental comments for someone else.

17 minutes ago, hugh said:

Maybe I need to spend some more time with a 993, I've just never "bonded" with them although I agree that they are a great car. 

you wouldn`t like them @hugh, they have suspension that actually works in the real world.

35 minutes ago, hugh said:

Maybe I need to spend some more time with a 993, I've just never "bonded" with them although I agree that they are a great car. 

same.

964 with the old architecture is the 'last' aircooled for me, and with a motor more happy with modifications.

993 is good but a bit of laziness from porsche in that it really should have been watercooled by then. new platform, same old engine.

964 c2, or 996 Gt3 for me.

have kept the SC for 12 years, the 964 turbo for 11 years, have only had the longhood for two.
unfortunately sold the 996 GT3 early on.
the guy who sold me the SC bought a 993 to replace it. he messaged me every six months trying to get the SC back..

10 hours ago, T-Man said:

993s in general seem to be held quite well wether in manual or Tip versions.

IMO they are the pinnacle of air cooled development with 6-speed box, abs, hydraulic lifters and a classic, comfortable interior.

But I’m biased!

Are 968 Manuals more tightly held than 993 ?

IMO they are the pinnacle of water cooled development with 6-speed box, abs, variable valve timing and a classic, comfortable interior.

But I’m biased!

3 minutes ago, clutch-monkey said:

same.

964 with the old architecture is the 'last' aircooled for me, and with a motor more happy with modifications.

993 is laziness in that it really should have been watercooled by then. new platform, same old engine.

Agree my old 993 tip was lazy, i only owned it for 2 years 

13 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

Having watched the 911 market closely over many years I've recently been thinking about the amount of 993's that have been for sale. I don't have any stats on this though and may be off the mark however they appear to be very tightly held.

Any views on this?

991 S Manual - absolute hens teeth 

7 hours ago, hugh said:

Different strokes for different folks I think @hugh the 993 is definately a refined car more of a gentlemen's driver as opposed to the more raw feeling of those that proceeded it. 

Mine is sitting 25mm lower on Bilstein PS10's and Cargraphic springs which does liven up the feel quite a bit.

6 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

same.

993 is good but a bit of laziness from porsche in that it really should have been watercooled by then. new platform, same old engine.

have kept the SC for 12 years, the 964 turbo for 11 years, have only had the longhood for two.
unfortunately sold the 996 GT3 early on.
the guy who sold me the SC bought a 993 to replace it. he messaged me every six months trying to get the SC back..

The 964 is a great car I owned a C2 manual for 3 + years in the late 90's before it became the poor mans Porsche - I am so glad it is receiving positive attention again.

Loved my 81 SC which I had for 5 years 

996.2GT3CS I owned one for 8 years I loved the drive and feel of this car the engine was stunning - I was always disappointed with the interior look and the quality of the finishes.

6 hours ago, James P said:

Agree my old 993 tip was lazy, i only owned it for 2 years 

The 993 engine does defiantly appear to be lazy when compared to earlier engines, the tip does exaggerate this feeling zapping power as opposed to the manual. The 993 with a more aggressive suspension and lowered ride height combined with an exhaust mod alleviates this feeling of laziness for me.

I guess having the GT3 as well, I like the more refined feel that the 993 offers as an alternative experience

22 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Whoever it was that brought their lowered 993 with big rims over to Adelaide a few weeks ago changed my mind about 993's from a looks point of view. Looked and sounded fantastic

@ the kid's!

1 hour ago, clutch-monkey said:

The laziness (often a bit doughy in the midrange) is something even the 964 3.6’s can have, use the cup cams, exhaust and lightened flywheel to liven it up.

i have that combo in the SC and the lack of weight helps it again.

Absolutely agree. The 993 is a little "soft" in certain areas. I regret not installing RS clutch and lightweight fly when I replaced mine. A 3.8 conversion would be perfect. 

1 minute ago, T-Man said:

Absolutely agree. The 993 is a little "soft" in certain areas. I regret not installing RS clutch and lightweight fly when I replaced mine. A 3.8 conversion would be perfect. 

Yep! The cup cams from memory barely touch peak hp at all- they seem directly aimed at the midrange. 

I have a dim memory of cam upgrades being more difficult in 993 but not sure that is actually the case.

5 minutes ago, T-Man said:

Gearing is also a little off.

7 minutes ago, T-Man said:

LWF was the worst Mod I made to mine,great when you were up it, but shitffull any other time.Having driven a Varioram, I suspect that it would possibly be a worthwhile mod to one, but not to a Non VR.

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Whoever it was that brought their lowered 993 with big rims over to Adelaide a few weeks ago changed my mind about 993's from a looks point of view. Looked and sounded fantastic

That be my old car. :) 

The really old 911 are real driver's cars :CoolDance: that are held tightly by really old men for centuries :Laughter: until they get really really old and unable to actually get in them :ConfusedGeek:
Then they stand at look at them for another decade before :RockingDeath:
That's my view...& plan.

4 hours ago, 9fan said:

Are 968 Manuals more tightly held than 993 ?

IMO they are the pinnacle of water cooled development with 6-speed box, abs, variable valve timing and a classic, comfortable interior.

But I’m biased!

Pinnacle of front engined 4 cyl cars as they stopped making them, FYI 918 and GT2rs are also watercooled, not to mention GT3 etc

Archived