Tow Cars - Experience Pcars and more

symsy

Who is towing their cars and more importantly with what ? 

I have a Landy Disco 3 and it’s gonna get out put out  to pasture , the only reason I now have a 4wd is to tow ,  I’m wondering if there is a better option Maccan etc or another softroader over the full size 4wd , I don’t need the 7 seater bus.

Also to add to the landscape of info , I have personally also been through 3 trailers x2 enclosed and have now ended up a full 700-1000 kilos lighter with a Tilta Dual Axle 500kg trailer which is plenty robust for me  and as an ex cup car trailer a breeze to load ..

This leaves with approx 1900 kg  with a GT3 onboard and 2000 with the 993 turbo

Is anyone towing with your Pcar or a wagon of other variety and if so what one. What does the job for you? 

23DCB587-AE6D-40F2-AFCE-BFD6CFD2D0D9.jpeg

I have for many years used a Pajero, had two now and have covered all of the south and east coast of Australia. Have a custom made enclosed trailer.

Cirrent rig is Turbo Deisel chipped and EGR blocked off. 500nm and 180kw. I have had a few 4WD over the years, but find the Paj to be very comfortable and reliable.

When not towing, get 800ks from 90 litres, take of 150 to 200 kms when trailer and car are on.

Wiil we see the cup car at some track days ??

I tow my cup car & other cars with my Mercedes Valente van 2.1 turbo diesel 2 ton towing capacity & its just an awesome van to tow with,  my trailer is a single axel tilt custom made for the cup car but works well with all P cars 

If I'm not wrong did that cup car go to heaven about 2 years ago 

Landcruiser Prado....I tow my salt lake car off road to Lake Gairdner every year. Car is rated at 2500kg, the trailer is at least 2500kg & I have about another 500kg in the car. Tows perfectly & 100% reliable...is an unsophisticated but awesome tow car. If I had the money would upgrade to a full size landcruiser in a second !!!

I tow my Boxster & tandem trailer with my Audi Q5 3lt TD, all up weight 1850 kg, rated capacity 2000kg, tows so well that you wouldn’t know it was there. Frightens the crap out of me when I loose concentration and look in the mirror see somebody tailgating me.

FJ cruiser, single axle tilta trailer. Barely know it’s there with my group S (960kg) 911 on it. Fuel, spare wheels/tyres and tools fit easily in the back with the rear seats folded down. 

It’s a 4.0 litre petrol engine so magic for hills etc but uses a fair bit of fuel given the brick like aero.  Cheap to buy and run and I think it’s still a cool looking truck. Really short too which makes inner city parking easier. 

Just going through process of reviewing same - we have a caravan with 2500kg ATM.  Have been using a 2.7L Diesel AWD Territory Titanium which has 2700kg ATM, and  which has towed the van admirably  (did 3 mths 16500kms semi lap 3 years ago).  However, now has 165000kms on it and needs timing belt done, and possibly injection pump belt which is the expensive part - if all done I've been quoted $2k - $2.5k.  Wondering whether to do this and to then keep Terry and run it into the ground or buy replace it.

Serious option (the only one I've really come up with by process of elimination) is a Touareg.  Don't need the grunt of the big bugga, but am considering 150 or 180 TDI, with 3500kg ATM capacity.  Seem well priced at between $40 and $50k for a 3 - 4 year old one with 30-50000kms.

Prado just doesn't cut it ATM wise for the van, Macan not enough ATM and I can't justify a 4 or 5 year older Cayenne with 60000 extra kms on it for same money as the Touareg.

If my LHD GT3 comes off, and the strict SI registration conditions become too limiting, then I might end up with a trailer for that too, so around 2500 - 3000kgs towing weight would also be within the Touareg capacity, but probably above the Territorys.......

6 hours ago, James P said:

I tow my cup car & other cars with my Mercedes Valente van 2.1 turbo diesel 2 ton towing capacity & its just an awesome van to tow with,  my trailer is a single axel tilt custom made for the cup car but works well with all P cars 

If I'm not wrong did that cup car go to heaven about 2 years ago 

I think so I only have the trailer 

This is what 1220 kg including trailer looks like .. good info folks .. now I’m really confused .. 

6193696B-4E96-4E8E-8234-899666582690.jpeg

10 hours ago, symsy said:

This is what 1220 kg including trailer looks like .. good info folks .. now I’m really confused .. 

Lots of brake dust on those fronts of the Disco there Symsy!!!

13 hours ago, symsy said:

Disco sits nicely given what looks like a lot of towball weight. 

44 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Disco sits nicely given what looks like a lot of towball weight. 

Air suspension , I have always loaded the cars front on and had no probs , even in the enclosed one 

A71B217F-7101-4E3E-A40C-4BC6DDB6795A.jpeg

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Lots of brake dust on those fronts of the Disco there Symsy!!!

Mate when ur hitting it hard into the corners in the brick that’s what happens , brake dust is the universal essential element in Motorsport 

PS forgot to plug in the electric brakes 😂

Nanny aids are so overrated , nothing like anticipating body roll and when to start pulling up .. no braking markets on the extra mile

and those little red lights on the dash forget them , not valid in a Landrover , the are for ambience 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, oldracer said:

awesome allrounder

IMG_4120.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

Ended up deciding on a 180TDI Touareg for same purpose - $43k for a 2013 with 60kms on it - 550nm torque, air suspension etc.  Will be for towing caravan 2500kgs + anything else plus daily drive.  At the end, couldn't justify the extra $ for a similar age Cayenne, or same $ for a Cayenne with double mileage and 4-5 years older.  Final test drive tomorrow, delivery hopefully late next week......

Good luck with your ride THT, sounds like a great price on a very sound tug. We looked at all the suspects for a tow vehicle and wasn't going down the track of everyone else, a 200 series cruiser and glad every day we chose our truck. Have fun and maybe see you on the trails.

For what it is worth I have a reasonably long in the tooth ML500 which I have towed cars to and from Adelaide and Melbourne on my monster car trailer and it is great. I can sit the cruise control on 120 and I haven't found a hill that will slow it down with car and trailer on the back. The side benefit is it is not an enormous people carrier, it has Mercedes comfort, and the 5l V8 means it is far from the slowest thing on the road.

IMG_2734.JPG

58 minutes ago, oldracer said:

Good luck with your ride THT, sounds like a great price on a very sound tug. We looked at all the suspects for a tow vehicle and wasn't going down the track of everyone else, a 200 series cruiser and glad every day we chose our truck. Have fun and maybe see you on the trails.

Can't see the point of having a 200 series as an everyday vehicle - I drive 120kms to and from work 4 days a week, I reckon running one of those would keep me very poor, whereas I think (hope) the Toerag will be even cheaper to run than my AWD diesel Terry.  Given towing is only a very small % of use, I'm happy that the Toerag will do all I need it to 🙂

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Can't see the point of having a 200 series as an everyday vehicle - I drive 120kms to and from work 4 days a week, I reckon running one of those would keep me very poor, whereas I think (hope) the Toerag will be even cheaper to run than my AWD diesel Terry.  Given towing is only a very small % of use, I'm happy that the Toerag will do all I need it to 🙂

Congrats on a great choice. My V8 TDI Rline Touareg gets 7.5L/100 cruising at 100+ and just over 12  towing a 3T Triple axel at 100+ and I don’t take it easy on it. So expect even better from yours. They also make a brilliant daily.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/04/2019 at 12:27, TwoHeadsTas said:

Ended up deciding on a 180TDI Touareg for same purpose - $43k for a 2013 with 60kms on it - 550nm torque, air suspension etc.  Will be for towing caravan 2500kgs + anything else plus daily drive.  At the end, couldn't justify the extra $ for a similar age Cayenne, or same $ for a Cayenne with double mileage and 4-5 years older.  Final test drive tomorrow, delivery hopefully late next week......

Took delivery of Toerag yesterday.  Little bit slow on the uptake (Terry was definitely faster to accelerate), perhaps I just need to get used to putting the boot in a bit more....

Will be looking for a 20" wheel to keep as full sized spare for when we are towing........  Had OE towbar and module installed as the OE stuff does some nice stuff re transmission change up points, trailer stability control etc compared to Hayman Reese option.  Decided the +$900 cost over the HR was warranted in this case.  And of course, 2 hours after I had signed the purchase contract for the car, the perfect alternative came up on Carsales - OE towbar + module, lesser mileage, newer, UHF etc for same price, only problem it was in Yepoon.........

Getting toward time to update, X5 is now 5 years, 110kms old.

criteria:

- used to tow a van (prob 2400 loaded) and racecar (prob 2000 or so).  So 2700+ capacity required

- I like the euro diesels, not a fan of the 4 cyl jap stuff Pajero prado etc, landcruiser V8 is too huge

- jag and rover stuff is well.......too British, I'd like to actually get where I'm going 😂

-  prefer used but sub 30,000km, $100k ish

- prefer air suspension - none of the X5s had it but the E70 M sport used to chew out the inner shoulder of the tyre (315s!) on long drives with the van due to a bit of sag and camber, the F15 no M sport on smaller wheels and tyres has been fine

- SUV not ute - it's the wife's daily school truck

- I've had E53, E70, F15 X5 30d but for some stupid reason the new G05 X5 30d is rated 1900 not 2700 of all the earlier ones....wtf?  The petrol and M50d are 2700, sounds like marketing bullshit to get towers to cough up $50k more for M50d

options:

- used SQ7 would be great but only a few around so the value hasn't dropped like a stone which normally happens with Audi - still $130k+ For a 2017

- cayenne diesel (old shape) doesn't make sense when it's sister next gen Touareg is cheaper 

- current shape cayenne is petrol only and $$$

- X5 M50d would be a monster but $160k+  

- a 17 or 18 F15 X5 in 30d or 40d guise is a good option, new model has smashed value of the old one.  Cold pickup a quite new low k for 70-80

- new Touareg is starting to turn up in dealers, just over $100k and 3500 towing seems like a good prospect.  Air suspension available.  Anyone got one or driven one?

6AEAB675-70B7-4E6B-99C4-30CBDB87094A.jpeg