Home Engine Builders

Mike D'Silva

Just putting this out there: I'm a bit nervous but here goes... 

I'm curious to know if there are many people here in Aus, that are rebuilding their own engines? Or whether there would be any interest in me rebuilding yours? 

Whilst my current car is about complete, I've realised that disassembling and reassembling these motors is really where the fun is for me. I enjoy taking something that is tired, ugly and dirty and turning it into something clean, shiny and high revving. I have all the tools and have gained a LOT of knowledge in the last 4 years. I also collaborate with a couple of experts in the USA. 

My experience is with 964, 3.0 and 3.2 thus far.. I can imagine there would be some scoffing and turned up noses, fair enough, I would too, but if you would like a chat or help or advice, feel free to hit me up.

Would be more than happy to show you my current car and how it is performing :)

Mike

0418 316 203

Brisbane

21 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I'm curious to know if there are many people here in Aus, that are rebuilding their own engines? Or whether there would be any interest in me rebuilding yours? 

Whilst my current car is about complete, I've realised that disassembling and reassembling these motors is really where the fun is for me. I enjoy taking something that is tired, ugly and dirty and turning it into something clean, shiny and high revving. I have all the tools and have gained a LOT of knowledge in the last 4 years. I also collaborate with a couple of experts in the USA. 

My experience is with 964, 3.0 and 3.2 thus far.. I can imagine there would be some scoffing and turned up noses, fair enough, I would too, but if you would like a chat or help or advice, feel free to hit me up.

Mike

0418 316 203

Brisbane

eh i'm not above doing things like this with mates etc doing it at home- that's how my efi install was done- a shop on the southside quoted 10k, we did it in his garage.

when my motor comes due for refresh this would be an amazing option to learn as well

• 2 months later...

Mike, I am a half decent, but self-taught mechanic.  I have built engines from first principles on English and US iron block motors.  I have re-built several gearboxes and done all of the systems and ancillaries on 911's.  I do NOT do 911 engines.  I 'could' but they are the Swiss watches of engines with fine tolerances and so many variations in settings. While I could pull them apart, I know my limits.  While I would (just) consider my OHV 356 motor, I am prepared to pay proven experts for 911 work.

On 30/04/2019 at 19:47, Mike D'Silva said:

Mike

0418 316 203

Brisbane

Hi Mike,

This the first I have seen this thread and you have said all the words that I was about to write.

I have nearly finished rebuilding my M96 Boxster engine 987, after spinning a big end bearing and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Coming to grips with the assembly sequence and the tools was a little daunting but if you think and have a positive attitude it’s not brain surgery.

So startup is next week and I am either going to report back or disappear into the wilderness. 

I anybody out there knows of a dead engine or car with dead engine (987 Box or Cay) I am in the market.

cheers Warren

13 minutes ago, Merv said:

Not sure where you are Peter, but it can be in Brisbane and I suspect in non-metro areas.

Agreed, anything Porsche in Brisbane is a little difficult.  Only several players & their service can leave a lot to be desired. 

There is also the issue of the mag cases and they can be very tricky to machine or bore. Well known Brisbane engineer with these old cars, Phil Sumich did the fly cutting and time courting on my mag case.