Should I PPI?

base

I’m looking at a 987.1 Boxster which is very tidy with an immaculate service history. Most recently it’s been serviced at Hamilton’s on a yearly basis. 

Should I bother with PPI? Car has around 80k on it and feels tight. 

Hi Base, it sounds pretty good from your description. If you have any concerns perhaps you could give Hamiltons a call after checking with the owner and see if they are able to provide any further information. Not sure if they can but worth a try. In terms of getting a PPI, if it was me and based on what you have said, I would proceed without but if you want 100% piece of mind do it. Remember you are also buying the seller so if you get a good vibe from him or her then that also goes a long way towards buying a car in my opinion.  Good luck with the purchase.  

I recently purchased an SC that Hamilton’s had been servicing. As Stew mentioned, checked with owner gave them a call and very helpful with the work undertaken over time. For me everything checked out.

I had looked st another car that cavaco had serviced and same thing helpful, and helped me validate what the owner was telling me vs what Cavaxo confirmed, there were some gaps, so passed on that one. 🙄

worth a call for peace of mind 

7 hours ago, Tips said:

As Stew mentioned, checked with owner gave them a call and very helpful with the work undertaken over time.

I spoke to "Stew" last night and said ... that Tips bloke is organising an SMT on PFA on SUN and you should come along. The more the merrier.

He said ... I would have loved to but the idiot can't even get my name right ... he doesn't deserve to have me on his run so I'm not coming .. he was going to report you to Admin but I'm your friend and I talked him out of it ...

(full disclosure ... the above conversation didn't really happen ... I just like getting you back for all of the Bamboo jibes) ... :Beer:

1 hour ago, 9er said:

Im yet to hear of anyone saying that they regret getting a PPI done.

Very true. I found and bought what seemed to be a very good car, and it was, but still glad I had a PPI done. There will always be something an older car needs at some point. Mine needed nothing immediate but at least I have a good idea of what it will need first...

edit: saw you bought it already, congrats mate! There’s always the other PPI: Post Purchase Inspection... I’ve done those before too 😄.

9er....I really regret getting a PPI on a genuine 2.7 74 Carrera that I could have purchased for 70k. I didn’t buy it because of some minor issues & passed it to another forum member (you know who you are). Not only did they get a FREE PPI but comfortably made 300%+ return on the investment in the intervening years.....I am an idiot !!!! Ha ha....at least it went to a PFA’er 👍

32 minutes ago, base said:

Thanks Tips. My first Porsche. Looking forward to it after years of waiting for these things to depreciate into the value zone. 

If you pick up next week and are available,  we are doing an SMT on Sunday 26th out to putty rd. For me no better rd in Syd to become one with your new ride 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Looks very nice. 

Brakes are easily sorted. 

With regard to stereo, I recently acquired a 987.1 with a shitty sounding stereo.. turns out the front speakers were totally disintegrated .. the foam surround that secured the cone, had perished, so I put some new 6.5inch speakers in. Sounds good enough now, to not require upgrading. Hope yours is a simple fix too.

I’m pretty sure my speakers are ok. It’s just not a very good stereo (I’m a musician and pretty fussy). At some stage I’ll replace the speakers with modern ones and probably a modern head unit. Happy listening to the Swiss watch behind me for the moment. 

Ill do the brakes myself. Any suggestions on parts? I saw in this forum that people order bits from Autohaus. I’ve had good results on a Honda with DBA rotors and Project Mu pads. Should I just just go standard on this car? Not really planning to do track days in it. 

Stay standard.. 

I used Project MU pads on my 964, and they squealed like a pig. And produced SO much dust.

Order from James at Autohaust, or Masterparts, or BWA.

Due to the weight of rotors, it's not really economical to buy from overseas.

1 hour ago, base said:

Ill do the brakes myself. Any suggestions on parts? I saw in this forum that people order bits from Autohaus. I’ve had good results on a Honda with DBA rotors and Project Mu pads. Should I just just go standard on this car? Not really planning to do track days in it. 

Standard should be fine if you are doing normal driving and even the odd track day, I always look around for my parts online but mostly i end up ordering from James at Autohaus, they have most common items in stock and always prompt delivery and you get a choccy bear with the delivery and i have found in the last 12 months that price is comparable to most other places.

3 hours ago, base said:

I’m pretty sure my speakers are ok. It’s just not a very good stereo (I’m a musician and pretty fussy). At some stage I’ll replace the speakers with modern ones and probably a modern head unit. Happy listening to the Swiss watch behind me for the moment. 

It's definitely the speakers... trust us 😉  New speakers make a world of difference.

I did brakes myself - straight-forward exercise.  Parts from Autohaus.  Easy process.  Stick with standard brake setup - it's a Porsche, so the standard brakes are more than adequate.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice buy.  I did a thread on speakers earlier this year on my 987.2.  The Audison 8" speakers are hard to find at times but an amazing speaker and they fit in nicely in the current mounts.  They do heaps for base response (important in an open top car) where you are always going to lose much of the high frequency output in the dynamic range. You can spend a huge amount on stereo upgrades without the real benefit when compared to a coupe design.