The Alfarrari. My Ferrari engined Alfa 105 build

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Gobsmacked Larry  "You're insane"    Jeff "Thanks mate". 

Well we all knew that 😅

Seriously though, every time I see one of Jeff's videos, it always inspires me to go in the shed, pull the cover off the 911 and start doing something to it to get it back on the road... then I realise I can't be arsed, and head back inside to watch some reels of people falling over, or a dog chasing a frisbee on Instagram 🙄

I need some of what Jeff is on methinks 👍😁

22 hours ago, LeeM said:

Well we all knew that 😅

Seriously though, every time I see one of Jeff's videos, it always inspires me to go in the shed, pull the cover off the 911 and start doing something to it to get it back on the road... then I realise I can't be arsed, and head back inside to watch some reels of people falling over, or a dog chasing a frisbee on Instagram 🙄

I need some of what Jeff is on methinks 👍😁

Yeah Jeff does amazing work. It's an amazing car. I deleted the Motor1 news piece post on the Alfararri coz I sorta thought Jeff would have posted that Larry Cheng interview if he wanted it on here.  Cmon Lee get ya arse into gear. After all that work on it shame you're not blasting it through those hills. 

@Troubleshooter

Yeah I know mate 🙄

I did drive it nearly every weekend for 4 or 5 years, yet I just got bored with it, and was also knackered from working a lot in a physical job.

After a couple of bevvies at @Shedpest and seeing his air cooled project yesterday, it's inspired me a bit more. Even took the cover off this morning! 😳

On 01/01/2024 at 10:41, Troubleshooter said:

Yeah Jeff does amazing work. It's an amazing car. I deleted the Motor1 news piece post on the Alfararri coz I sorta thought Jeff would have posted that Larry Cheng interview if he wanted it on here.  Cmon Lee get ya arse into gear. After all that work on it shame you're not blasting it through those hills. 

I didn't see the Motor1 article you mentioned. There seem to be a few people writing articles about me and the Alfarrari lately which is great. I just wished they contacted me or at least sent me a link to the article ;) 

Yes Jeff an article came up on my world news feed from motor1.com about you and the car, "journalist" was iirc Bruce (forgot his surname) and it was a few pics of you and the car and a summary of your Larry Chen interview. There was a link to the Chen interview - which was a great interview by the way.

I posted the few pics and the Youtube Chen interview and a half hour later I thought hmmm maybe not, considering that your entire thread on the car consists of 99.9% your videos and if you wanted it on your thread you probably would have posted Larry's interview. So I tried to DM you for an okay or not but PFA says "not receiving messages" so deleted it.  I'm aware that a lot of these types of "sites" similar to Motor1 are made up of free public info and videos just lifted by various people from various sites all over the net so I thought this might have been the case here. Dm me mate if anything further👍

On 05/01/2024 at 10:20, Troubleshooter said:

Yes Jeff an article came up on my world news feed from motor1.com about you and the car, "journalist" was iirc Bruce (forgot his surname) and it was a few pics of you and the car and a summary of your Larry Chen interview. There was a link to the Chen interview - which was a great interview by the way.

I posted the few pics and the Youtube Chen interview and a half hour later I thought hmmm maybe not, considering that your entire thread on the car consists of 99.9% your videos and if you wanted it on your thread you probably would have posted Larry's interview. So I tried to DM you for an okay or not but PFA says "not receiving messages" so deleted it.  I'm aware that a lot of these types of "sites" similar to Motor1 are made up of free public info and videos just lifted by various people from various sites all over the net so I thought this might have been the case here. Dm me mate if anything further👍

I have no issue with others videos. I am always amazed at how far my silly little videos in my shed reach. Actually my second VinWiki video went live today as well. This one about Harry though. I also filmed one about the Roxster, but I am not sure if he is going to use it.

It's because 'normal' people can relate to you and your skills and can do attitude @MFX

You humbly underestimate the affect you have on people across the globe Jeff, as most people I've spoken to about you have said you inspire them to get out and have a crack themselves, and if they f..k it up they try again, as it's cost them nothing to try.

Shoving a Ferrari engine in an Alpha is possibly one of the biggest "You can't be fkn serious?" ideas you've had yet (your latest project is pretty close to that too!),  yet you've pulled it off to a very high level and you're receiving the praise you deserve for just being a bloke in his shed.

YouTube isn't just for watching people fall down stairs compilations (as highly entertaining as it is), as I watch loads of it for building renovations/tips and how to's, so people learn from you by just having a go, so good onya for doing what you're doing with the work on the cars and the time consuming filming/editing stuff 👍👏👏👏

^^^^ What Lee said. Don't sell yourself short mate, your package of skills and adventurous have a good go at it are so much more appealing for us car plebs out here who wish we had even a tenth of the skills you've developed. I'd rather follow a down to earth video  "series" like your builds  than most of the polished professional high end series'. Each have their place and a good audience.

This week I have been adding the finishing touches to the interior and all is finally revealed. I am not entirely happy with the result but if it is worth doing...

Thanks guys. It all helps keep me motivated to keep expanding my skills. It really is a chicken and an egg thing, because I try more because you guys are watching and you guys watch because I try more stuff ;) 

One eagle eyed viewer went back and watched my radiator shroud video and saw that the fans I have were set up for push not pull. I watched it myself and he is correct. I am pretty sure now that it is going to be as simple and turning the blades of the fan around  :D . PHEW!!

3 hours ago, 3legs said:

Dumb question but would switching the wires around work. I'm thinking reverse the motor turning direction. I'm a hopeless electrician and I have shares in a fuse factory 🤣

That was what I first thought, but i checked and the fans are spinning in the correct direction and it is getting some flow, but it is terribly inefficient. The blades of the fan are curved so they scoop the air if you can imagine it. They are the wrong way around so they the scoop is backwards.

4 hours ago, MFX said:

That was what I first thought, but i checked and the fans are spinning in the correct direction and it is getting some flow, but it is terribly inefficient. The blades of the fan are curved so they scoop the air if you can imagine it. They are the wrong way around so they the scoop is backwards.

The scimitar blade should curve backwards.  They are designed to reduce noise, decrease drag and thus be more aerodynamically efficient than a straight blade.  

7 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Another dumb question, are these fans designed to be mounted in front of the radiator?

This fan can be mounted on either side but it comes set up to be mounted in front of the rad. I didn't notice the detail where they said to mount it behind you need to flip the blades over.

9" THERMATIC® Electric Fan FAN (12 VOLT) (PART # 0160)

All Davies Craig Thermatic® Fan are packaged with fan assembly (motor, fan blade, shroud and mounting feet).

A Davies Craig Thermatic® Fan is suitable for both condenser and radiator cooling. Thermatic® Fans provide; Constant air flow, increased fuel economy, air conditioning performance, cooler engine running, low profile, high performance, increased engine power and fully reversible blades and polarity for bi-directional air flow.

These fan assemblies are set up for upstream applications.

For downstream applications the fan blade must be removed and turned over and the polarity reversed. Always check that the fan blade rotates in the direction shown by the arrows on the blade before making a permanent wiring connection and prior to fastening the unit to the radiator.

I actually flipped it over today and although I have not run the car up to temp yet, the rubber flaps now suck closed like they were always supposed to. Before it was pulling air, but it was obviously turbulent and not doing it efficiently, hence the rubber flaps were flapping around.